Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Difference between a Excaliber 800 and 1000

A

Anonymous

Just curious. I am new to detecting and just reading on the various MD's. What is the difference between the 2? Is it just coil size? If so can you just change coils? Thanks.

They are hard wired, so it requires disassembly and rewiring or cut the cable and install waterproof connectors on the coils you want to use.... If you get a WOT for the Excal you are already set up and just order the waterproof connector kit. Doc has them at his site...HH...Geo

the 800 has an 8" coil and the 1000 has the 10" coil. the unit comes hard wired to the coil so changing out coils is a little more difficult than the non waterproof variety. if you look at the top of the forum page, click on Doc's place and go to his coil page. on that page you can see the waterproof connectors that he sells. if you are familiar with soldering wires, installing the waterproof connectors is a snap. as with anything waterproof, you are taking a chance of ruining your detector if it is not done properly. if you buy a new detector and modify it that will nullify your warranty. i bought the 1000 and used it for over a year before i decided to install a WOT. aside from being color blind ( different color wires), i had no problem installing the waterproof connectors. minelab service will hardwire a new coil at the factory to your unit. they will also warn you that this will void your warranty and they cannot pressure test the unit because of the size of the coil. a word of warning, large coils are harder to swing in the surf, and it also makes the detector more awkward than usual. if i had it to do over again, i would have bought the 800 and invested the money saved on a straight shaft and beach scoop first then once you are certain that you enjoy surf hunting buy and install the wot.