Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Difference between version 3 and 4 ????

digsgti

TROLL
Sold my Gold Bug Pro with version 4 firmware a little while back and it gave me sellers remorse. Ended up getting a used one offline and it is firmware version 3. Tested it out a little today and I can't tell the difference between the two versions. I know the 2.9 version is pretty different and there are a lot of posts about it. I'm just curious what Fisher changed from version 3 to version 4. Does anyone know or is it one of those mysterious upgrades that Fisher does without saying anything?

OK. After doing some more searching it looks like the only difference is that version 4 will hold the VDI a little longer. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.

Thanks.

Surprised there isn't a sticky about all the versions and differences of these machines.:spin:

Ftp could care less if we know the differences or not, No reply is ever given!

I like my G2 w/5" DD coil for certain applications, but I would have wished for some differences in the final design, such as a VDI readout in either search mode.

My dealer fried had in a few Fisher's just about the time they were doing the final Gold Bug Pro/G2 work. His were earlier Gold Bug versions and I know one as a 2.9er, the other I don't recall for sure but I think it might have bee. What I do know is that they worked a bit different from each other, and also different from my final run G2 prototype.

I know that one model I tried other than my 4.0 G2 was definitely more responsive on higher-conductive silver coins at mid-depth to deep.

I know that for me ad my type of hunting the VCO is less exciting than an earlier non-VCO model.

I know that the response/recovery time is a bit too quick, and I like a little slower auto-tune time in an All Metal mode.

I know that the Coin Depth read-outs are way off on most targets, reading much too shallow.

I know that I liked the audio of one of the 2.9er models I borrowed for comparison better.

I also know that they are what he are and it can be tough to compare. Often, from any manufacturer, you can have subtle revisions along the way so one particular model is supposed to work similar to another, but they have subtle differences.

And I also know that there still isn't a singe 'perfect' detector out there so we each have to get our hands on a unit and use it and determine if it is the right tool for us or not, and hang onto those that work as we like them to work. Then mate the best coil, or two, for that model and the preferred application and just go hunting. I wouldn't be too concerned about some of the differences between a 2.9 and 3 and 4 or whatever indicated model you might grab and base the decision simply on what others might voice an opinion about. Just try to check one out in person and make up your own mind, but remember that the final version the manufacturer produced just might be the better overall finished product based upon what the design engineers feel the total performance capability ought to be. Maybe they are not always right, but the final version is usually the one we are likely to find, and if repaired it would be to current spec.

There are still weaknesses we can find in most detectors and once we know them then we can deal with that and maybe have another model or two to handle different chores afield. It's great to have models that are designed for a specific application, such as gold nugget hunting, that are still functional enough for other uses, such as Relic Hunting, etc. But it also means we end up with a detector that might have a few less adjustment functions that we might wish for.

My Tek. G2 works as it should and I use it when desired for the things it can do. It's a gold nugget detector with a motion Disc. mode. I also like my Tek. Omega which is a lower-frequency Coin & Relic hunting unit, but can be used for gold nugget hunting. It has extra operator selected features such as four Tone ID options not found on the G2. The Gold Bug Pro and G2 do have their unique "Tone Break" design, but I know many people (including myself) who wish it was different and could simply be a system more like that of the Omega or Gamma. I also wish they would have provided a selector for VCO On or OFF, or one to vary the auto-tune speed.

In the end, when a product is released, it is either going to be a dud, as we have seen from some manufacturers through the years, or it could be a hot success. It might just be a 'good' detector that is a great general-purpose detector for many hobbyists and avid detectorists. A detector is what it is, and the GB Pro and G2 are what they are. We read their comments that they had put in ample time and tinkered with it enough that we final version 4 was it. They had other things to move on to and do so, if it works, it works. If it's not for you, there are other detectors out there to consider.

My G2 is the least-used model in my personal detector inventory. I do keep an eye open for a good early version (such as 2.9) Gold Bug to be offered as a trade-in, but so far I have not had ANY G2 or Gold Bug Pro model offered, suggesting that whichever version they might have, folks are generally satisfied with them. If I get an early specimen I'll work it afield against my G2 and determine if it is really impressive enough to replace my version 4 G2, or just offered up for sale.

Monte

Im with you Monte,

A switch for saturated audio and or VCO in disc it would be like a having boost mode and or two different detectors as they behave a little different!

The last ones with the saturated audio are the 2.0s if you can find one there worth having as well as the finished product pro or G2. Both have merits in my opinion!

Ive noticed the new euro tek has saturated audio.

HH
Jim

No difference clad man. Go dig some clad. Cause that's all your going to find.