Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Digger coil question?

Smithfire

Hi Guys

I was just wondering what the Digger coil is like on the smaller silver coins you have in the US?

I only ask because I'm curious as to what it would hit like on the thin silver hammered coins we get here in the UK?

Many thanks

Clive

Please correct me if I'm wrong Clive, but don't your hammies come in with a low ID number? That is the impression that I get from watching the UK websites.
The Digger is great on items that typically ID in the 28 or above range. It will still hit on low conductors, but there would be likely no advantage to it over the 6" HF DD if indeed they are a low ID item.

Items that low on the ID scale would suffer from poor ID accuracy due to the target bin segment widths with a 3kHz coil. They would likely be jumpy or at least less consistent. A 7.5kHz or 18.75kHz coil would be my preference.

Ok OLH, what about the Digger for finding small copper bronze Roman coins?.....would their small size work against them?

many thanks

Clive

The Digger should excel on copper/bronze bits, as well as newer silver and copper coins. It's small size would actually be a benefit for it's sensitivity to smaller targets.

I was trying to think of an application for it in the UK. Getting in between the stubble stalks to winkle out the small Romans or on a very trashy site I think it could come into its own! ?

Clive

I like it for those sorts of sites. It picks it's way through Iron extremely well, and having a solid bottom keeps it from getting hung up in stubble.

Just out of my own curiosity, have you ever tried Prospector Mode? With the adjustable Iron Mask you can knock out most ferrous targets, but it will still hit non ferrous very well, and it sees deeper than any C/T mode. The biggest drawback is that you lose ID. If the target is within reach, you can often switch to C/T Mode and get an ID, but not always.

Sorry about the delay in answering but no, I've ner tried prospecting mode in that way...may give it a go though to see if there's a advantage?

thanks for the tip.

Clive