Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Diggers, and first Roman coin! :clapping:

Fabio

I've been watching Diggers this Summer. Neat to watch them go at it. With the cooler weather sweeping through, I managed to go detecting for about an hour yesterday, Sunday, and running back and forth between my favourite field and my truck during sudden downpours, I dug up my first hammered copper Roman coin. Yay!
I just rinsed it in a puddle to get the mud off, while the stickier guk is still on it. I'm afraid most of the detail will wash off if I clean it, so for now, it's staying as is.
I'll post a photo of it some time this week.
For Joel: did you find any silver in the parks this Summer?
(I have to catch up with my reading in the forum. ;-) ).
:garrett:

Was out again today. Got one more coin, heavily warn on one side. Five cents King Vittorio Emanuele II, Italian Kingdom, mint mark M, Milan. date is either 1861 or 1867. I'm trying to make contact with a few property owners where I'm sure their fields are full of neat things to dig up, but no luck yet...
The Roman coin is from some time between 324 AD and 400 AD. There were a few different varieties hammered, and I'd have to clean the coin to see the necessary details for the complete identification of it.

I was also in England in September with my ACE 250, along with permission to hunt, but I didn't get a chance to do any detecting at all...:(

The coin should be Jovian, 4th century AD, closest description found so far...
Found at Basovizza, Italy.

Going back in history, researching... This coin was probably dropped by Attila and his Huns while they were tearing through this region coming upwards along Illiria (Yugoslavia), through Tergeste (Trieste) onwards into the Italian peninsula towards Rome. Neat.
:super:

Congrats on your excellent historical find. I lived near Bologna for a few years and could kick myself for not getting into MD'ing at that time because the via Apia ran through an area near where I was living.
HH
Chuck