Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Digging 50-60's VDI Numbers With F75

miserman

Today I was able to hunt an early 1900's country church yard with the F75. I used Motion All Metal Mode with Sensitivity set at 88. After about a half hour hunting without even a memorial or clad it was obvious that the area had been hunted hard. Instead of giving up I decided to start digging lower number targets that were in the 50-60 VDI range. The first target was a 56-58 reading that showed 7 inches while pinpointing and was a 1921 Wheat Cent with the usual green "patina" and corrosion. I spent the next few hours digging targets that were bouncy 52-63 VDI readings. I ended up finding a total of 14 Wheats plus the Indian Head and Buffalo. The first three Wheats on the 2nd row were in the same hole together and you can see in the photo where two of them were stuck together .They were 1913 1926 and 1929 Wheats that gave a low 60's VDI. As I stated earlier,the area has been heavily hunted as you can tell from the lack of modern coins and also the lack of silver coins that normally give higher VDI numbers. I feel that many of the "patina" coated coins have been passed over in a lot places by other detectors in the past. I normally dig mid range VDI readings but was very surprised today that these were the only hits that produced coins. Not a pretty group, but coins none the less....Thanks for looking
000_1203.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah...the square tab range has a lot of stuff in it, including coins. The F75 has a special tone id option for just that set of targets.....In 4 tone mode it gives a medium high tone for targets in the 53 to 65 TID range.

Nice little collection there. Pretty cool you added an Indian and a Buff to all those wheats.

HH
Mike

Was the site too trashy to dig all non ferrous targets?

Miserman, this post is excactly what my brother and myself have been talking about for our next hunt in our previously heavy hunted areas, your post just confirms my brothers theory about lowering our disc down to try and uncover some missed targets.
I'm starting to think you must have been reading our emails? Lol.

still looking 52 said:
Miserman, this post is excactly what my brother and myself have been talking about for our next hunt in our previously heavy hunted areas, your post just confirms my brothers theory about lowering our disc down to try and uncover some missed targets.
Yes still looking 52,your brothers theory is what I was talking about and the "lower than normal" VDI numbers is what I'm referring to. If you look at the 3rd coin on the top row, you can see the black coating covering this coin. It is a 1909 and if you look closely at the bottom were I toothpicked it off you can see the VDB initials on it. This coin gave a constant 52-53 reading and was about 8 inches. The volume of the signal was quite low. These are the type of signals that I was looking for. Most 50-65 LOUD readings were not dug. Any signal about 28 and lower was also not dug. These below 28 signals can be fairly loud OR very soft and many times can be non ferrous items such as aluminum foil or small pieces of can slaw. The 28-45 signals can be nickels and I only dig when they show deep readings on the bar graph.... I think the key for me on this hunt was looking for the low volume-mid range hits that pinpointed 6-9 inches. As we all know every site is different and various settings and methods make the difference. This is what worked for me this day on this site. Thanks for responding and good luck as you try lowering your Disc.....Thanks for looking

Nice hunting there miserman. On those oder and hard hit sites those 50-65 number readings often times produce the only good coins left. Save for very deep and totally masked one's, perhaps. I personally always run 0 disc. and as Mike mentioned, 4H tones is another advantage of the F 75.

To bad the vdb cent was missing the s. I like finding old wheats. Nice batch! HH jim tn

miserman said:
still looking 52 said:
Yes still looking 52,your brothers theory is what I was talking about and the "lower than normal" VDI numbers is what I'm referring to. If you look at the 3rd coin on the top row, you can see the black coating covering this coin. It is a 1909 and if you look closely at the bottom were I toothpicked it off you can see the VDB initials on it. This coin gave a constant 52-53 reading and was about 8 inches. The volume of the signal was quite low. These are the type of signals that I was looking for. Most 50-65 LOUD readings were not dug. Any signal about 28 and lower was also not dug. These below 28 signals can be fairly loud OR very soft and many times can be non ferrous items such as aluminum foil or small pieces of can slaw. The 28-45 signals can be nickels and I only dig when they show deep readings on the bar graph.... I think the key for me on this hunt was looking for the low volume-mid range hits that pinpointed 6-9 inches. As we all know every site is different and various settings and methods make the difference. This is what worked for me this day on this site. Thanks for responding and good luck as you try lowering your Disc.....Thanks for looking
Miserman, we've got this one site we've hunted at least 1000 times and it's produced a bunch of silver over the years, I found my best find ever in this location (1902 Barber half) and we " know" there is a layer of silver just beyond our reach, also we're thinking these deep targets aren't going to have the same VID#s as they would normally. This thinking outside the box may just open up a whole new world for us.

Mierman this is still looking 52's brother WV62

First I would like to say this has been an eye opening post. Congrats on your finds and your out of the box way you found them.

Good thinking and perfect timing for us.

Thanks for sharing,

Ron in WV

WV62 said:
Mierman this is still looking 52's brother WV62

First I would like to say this has been an eye opening post. Congrats on your finds and your out of the box way you found them.

Good thinking and perfect timing for us.

Thanks for sharing,

Ron in WV
Ron, Thanks for the reply. I hope you guys reach that lower layer of silver. Good luck....Thanks for looking

Guys, as miserman's post and comments points out, there are a lot of good targets down deep in those number ranges. Oh, there is some rubbish, but really no more then simply digging iffy targets.

My intention is not to hijack miserman's post, but to simply illustrate what he is stating is rock solid.

The last two days I have been hunting a old golf course which really has been pounded. So much that most won't hunt it any more. Anyway, running my F 75 in de, 0 disc, 90 sen and 4h tones these two hunts, I ended up recovering several pieces of 25 caliber size lead, (the area had a Union camp on it also back in the day) 2 68 cal. 3 ringers, 2 silver dimes, 17 Merc. & 1902o Barber, a 1906 I H cent and 3 wheats, 1 a 1916 and the other two in the 30's. All coin targets and bigger lead were in the 6-9" depth range. Except for the Barber dime which was a soft high tone whisper and i d'ed appropriately, all the other coins and targets were in the 60's i d range and at least a squeak of the 3rd tone in 4h tones.

No, nothing outstanding, but if you are like a lot of us with nothing to hunt but already beat to death spots, miserman's strategy is well worth a shot. Thanks for posting this miserman. HH jim tn

I know this is a coin-centric thread but as a jewelry hunter I just want to remind everyone just once more about digging those lower numbers, the solid ones, anyway.
All 5 of these rings came in between 48-51 on two different Fishers.
I can't pass up numbers like this now even if I wanted to, I am just programmed to open holes every time I see solid numbers in this range...some of the not so solid ones, also.