Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Digging shovels

Can someone please give me their input as to the length of digging shovel they use for digging. Please indicate why you prefer a longer or shorter length, or some of the issues you've found using either one. I'm looking to purchase one and I'm leaning towards the 27" Grave Digger. I think this length would be easier to carry on my detecting utility belt, wouldn't drag on the ground, and hopefully wouldn't beat against my leg too much. I don't mind bending over some to dig so that isn't an issue. Any input from actual users will be greatly appreciated.

Just recently i bought a 15" leashe shovel, paid 65$ for it and used it may be three or four times and found that I didn't have enough leverage with this short shovel to cut roots or pry over rocks. The main reason I went with this short shovel was so I could hang it on my belt and not have to carry it all the time but found it just bumped against my side plus made my balance off.
Luckily, my brother was able to cut this shovel in half, place a 17" extension in it and now I have the 31" long shovel that will do the job for me. Now I just carry this longer shovel in one hand and my detector in the other and I can use the shovel for support when getting into tight rough areas.

The longer one sure makes it ease to get up after a dig, in-fact the older you are the better you like the long one.

:usaf: as time goes buy you will probably wind up with several sizes,shapes,manufacturers. Each will have its place depending on where or when you use it. Give up finding a shovel you can wear on you hip comfortably unless you are Paul Bunyan. Sometimes a longer shovel definitely has its advantages other times a shorter shovel will be better. In the end it's your call. And as you get older your call will change. Happy digging.

Best of luck to you in choosing the right shovel for yourself. I personally use the Lesche 32' Relic Hunter shovel. This is a great little shovel that does the job for me in our hard Georgia red clay. It also cuts through nice size roots fairly easy. It has a T handle and I usually carry it over my shoulder while swinging the MD. The only thing that I wish it had that others do is the rubber step pads. I have had this now for about 5 years and I have really been happy with it. Again, HH and shopping.

If you are out in the boonies looking for relic's, then any of the shovel models you would feel comfortable with would serve you well. I personally like Predators LITTLE EAGLE model. If, however, you are urban setting hunting like parks and the like, then something smaller that doesn't stand out and look so intrusive is necessary. There are any number of good trowel type models available. Wilcox has a 16" (I think that's the length) model that doesn't look intrusive and can be hand or belt carried easily and has just enough handle length for some extra leverage and assistance for getting up. Good luck with your decision. HH jim tn

I only use the Piranha 37" digger. Has the narrow serated blade which lets you dig a deep but small clean hole. I also carry a small garden trowel in my utility belt if i've missed my pinpoint slightly. A 27" digger on your belt seems like it would really be uncomfortable to have to carry on your waist. Hope this helps.

I have the regular Lesche Sampson shovel that i used the first 2 years I started detecting (still have it but never use it anymore). I prefer a longer blade, the foot plates are too small therefore pretty much useless and the length of the handle made me bend over way too much and I'm only 5' 10". I then bought a Predator Tools Barracuda and though it weighs a little more, it's a lot more shovel for the money. Longer heavier blade that's sharply serrated on both sides, usable foot plates and a handle length that is just right for me. I get lots more pushing power out of that one and it's now my go to tool for deep woods hunting. Solid as a rock and an ideal weight/sturdiness ration IMHO. I've used it in very difficult terrain, packed snow and semi frozen ground and it seems to go through anything. Personally, I wouldn't recommend going for anything with a shorter handle than that model for anybody that's 5' 6" +. Another great choice if you need even more depth is the Piranha model like LTmedigger suggested or even the Raven. They are heavier though. The only downside to the Predator Tools models is that the blade rusts easily so I rinse mine out after every use and oil it occasionally.

Total length of the Barracuda is 38".

I appreciate all of the responses I've received on this topic, especially Frank in NH, lol. I will give them all serious consideration, but it seems it might be the "Goldilocks" scenario until I get "the" one.

still looking 52 said:
Just recently i bought a 15" leashe shovel, paid 65$ for it and used it may be three or four times and found that I didn't have enough leverage with this short shovel to cut roots or pry over rocks. The main reason I went with this short shovel was so I could hang it on my belt and not have to carry it all the time but found it just bumped against my side plus made my balance off.
Luckily, my brother was able to cut this shovel in half, place a 17" extension in it and now I have the 31" long shovel that will do the job for me. Now I just carry this longer shovel in one hand and my detector in the other and I can use the shovel for support when getting into tight rough areas.

Here is the outcome of telling detecting fibs, you know like the silver dime was 11-1/2" deep and not add in that 4" of that was thick grass, your shovel grows :rofl: The one below outgrew my other brother Ron (WV62) so, me being taller than him he gave it to me. This reminds me of when we were growing up and me being the youngest got to wear all the clothes and shoes they outgrew!
I extended this one from the factory 18" to 32"

MarkCZ

Got the Lesche short handle Sampson had to put an extension on it works great now perfect. Go with a long handle.

I just use a normal size floral shovel from the hardware store. Small width, 6" spade and light weight wood handle. Total weight 1.4 lbs. I don't like to carry a shovel so I added a leather loop on the end for my wrist so I can drag it behind me in the field.
Also makes a great walking stick or to help me when I stand back up. Cost ~$20.

Eventually, you learn to use your feet and legs around the shovel to lift the dirt out of the hole, No bending over to dig.
I carry a backup in the car in case it breaks.

https://www.doitbest.com/products/700520