Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Digging too much iron with my Cortes

pjroo3

Went out yesterday to a site I've hit a few times before with my Explorer II. This was my second outing with my Cortes and the first time I've used it at this site. I noticed that it did not matter where I set my discrimination, I would sound off with a nice TID of 95 on large iron. It happened multiple times, even with my disc set just above zinc. Can anyone tell me if this is the norm? I can't remember the last time I dug iron with my Exp II. Thanks

Hello

Tell me........was there any about the audio 'beeps' that clued you in that you were diggin for iron. The single tone audio of Tesoro's have some subtle nuances about them. In other words sharpness or sweetness of the audio signal. Once learned, a person can avoid diggin too much iron, and wet soil conditions make the iron respond preety sweet when really deep. Every now and then I dig up a rusty steel washer at some depth just because I don't want to miss anything. HH

Randy

Some of the signals were very clean, while others were crackling slightly when making a full sweep and clean when I shortened my sweep to about 4 inches side to side over the target. The ground conditions were very good. Not too dry as we had rain 4 days ago. Very easy digging.

Hi

Have you tried different coil approaches to the target? I like to play around with a signal and see how big it is before I decide to dig. For instance, make short passes going into and away from the target, then do a 90 degree short series of passes going into and away from the target. Try to see if the signal is bigger than a coin or other similar target. Then do a slow coil lift above the target and see how far above the ground you can still pick up a signal while still swinging the coil directly over the target. If you are still getting a strong signal with the coil lifted pretty high in the air, then it is iron or a jar full of old silver:biggrin:

Also I like to size up a target in allmetal, if it pinpoints small it is likely a good target, but if it pinpoints along a line it is likely an iron object. Almost all of my machines have a threshold based normal allmetal mode, with this feature you can hover over a target and still get a signal. Never used a Cortes, but I have used a Deleon, and it had a auto-tuned allmetal that would retune over the target rather quickly. I did not like that feature, because it was hard to size up a target. I just learned to use the Motion Disc. mode to quickly pinpoint the target using the going into and out of the target position as explained in previous paragraph. Hope this helped.

Randy

If it's large enough, it'll wind up all over the detectors spectrum, any detector (that I have used) will do the same. Place your disc anywhere and place it up against your cars wheel and it will go off every time.

On the Cortes, if you are hunting in areas with large iron, hunt in AM and watch your TID, plus using a DD coil will help.

I still dig the odd piece of iron sometimes also, I think most of us do if your really trying to pick a site clean. But it does have different little audible clues that you will recognize with more time in the saddle. Mine will chirp and break up in trashy areas pretty consistantly but listen for the full, rounded yet compact audio blips.

Some iron targets were plated with zinc, cadmium and other alloys that would sound pretty good had the plating still been on them. The fact is it has been disseminated into the surrounding earth and creates a false signal especially if the ground is wet. Try detecting them now that they are out of the earth, the object should react differently than while it was in the ground. You may also wish to turn down the sensitivity. My Cortes seems overly sensitive and reacts to iron objects in the same way if I have the sensitivity too high. If I am not describing is not what you are experiencing, I'd send a note with the unit to Tesoro.

The Cortes, like many machines, will falsely ID large iron targets as a coin, or a high conductive reading. On the Cortes I noticed a slight "give away" on these targets. Clean coin targets will always give you a strong "95" ready, steady and repeatable. With the iron targets that read "95", you will also see a slight sliver on the "Iron" bar graph. It is usually only a slight sliver reading of Iron with a solid 95 bar graph. See if that tip might help you out next time. Your eyes are drawn to the heavy bar on the coin scale, but keep an eye on the Iron scale. Dig some to convince yourself.

This is not fool proof, but it certainly can minimize some of the junk iron targets that you would otherwise dig.

Scully