Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Digging tools question....

Jeff in MI

Has anyone ever put an edge on a Leshe digging knife or a Raptor digging tool? Would this compromise the temper of the steel? Would it void the warranty?
I do a LOT of detecting, and I'm thinking maybe it would be a little easier to make that initial cut, if the tools were a little sharper. I don't mean razor sharp, just a bit of an edge.

thanks, Jeff

Hi Jeff, I have my LESCHE Digger professionally sharpened once a year, but if you do alot of dirt digging, you would probably want to sharpen it TWICE A YR.!! HH, Les

A guy can lay a good edge on a lesche tool with a good flat file. I prefer a medium file with a chunk of fire hose on it to keep the fingers safe. When you file file from the outside in, this way the edge stays sharp, and does not get a burr that rolls away from the sharp edge. Think sharpening a knife and you'll do fine.
HH

Like JT, I also use a file several times a year to keep the Lesche tool edge in good shape. I hunt mostly sports fields and relatively rocky areas and i'm pretty brutal with the digger. Maybe every month or 2 I go over it with the file. It doesn't take much and it never shows any signs of wear for doing so. It sure makes digging a LOT more pleasurable with a sharp tool.

HH

I used a bench grinder, puts a good edge on it and its up to you as how sharp you want it, only use very little pressure when sharpening it.
:cheers:

I took my Lesche digging knife and my Raptor down to Ace Hardware, here in Mount Morris, MI. They put a beautiful edge on them. Then, I went out hunting last night, and WOW! What a difference it made. The Lesche cut through the ground like a hot knife through butter, and the Raptor scooped dirt like a scooping soup out of a bowl with a spoon. My time spent recovering my target was greatly reduced, and my hands/arms did take as much of a beating. I should have done this a long time ago, because I usually MD about three times a week.
Thanks all for your insight, Jeff

Jeff,

This may be off topic from sharpening the edge but it sure has helped me make digging allot easier, My friend who has a metal business extended the handles.

I noticed when using the digger, The handles didn't appear to be long enough to grab as I cut a circle plug hole with the digger. So I had my friend extend the handles and boy did it make a big difference, Now I can get a better grip on the handles.

Paul (Ca)

It might make it a bit more cumbersome to carry. Nevertheless, I like it. I love custom digging tools, it shows ingenuity. Also, the best digging tools I have ever seen have been totally custom.
Thanks for the input, Jeff