Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dime kinda day at the park:detecting:

Charlie P. (NY)

Took the F-75 out to lunch again at the local park. I have been playing (ongoing and always) with the settings. Today I had the discrimination up to 53. Notch at 36 (which gives full "Nickel" readings), the mode to bottle cap and the tones to delta. The sensitivity I boosted up to 60 as it seemed relatively stable at that setting. Some chatter, but easy to dismiss by watching the VDI and the confidence meter.

First hit was a Nickel. I was happy as this was the first I have found in the week I've owned the F-75 and gives me some confidence in the notch setting. It was a 1964 at 4 inches and gave a steady 27 in "X"ing over it. The next coin was a 1967 dime at 7"! I was happy with this as the ground was drier today than it ever got all last year. This park was flooded badly (as was the whole town) and there was 2" of fine, gooey silt over much of it last summer. Four more dimes came next, all between 6" and 4", for a run of five in a row. I stopped by the volleyball court and found three cents just under the surface. Someone keeping kids bust or busting my chops.

So, for the lunchhour hunt: nine coins. ZERO trash. I didn not dig any weak or unstable targets, though I had plenty of foil, tab and cap visuals and audio blips. I hunt this park regularly and I have no doubt the two older and deeper dimes have been under the coil of my Musketeer many times. This park is full of pulltabs and screwcaps, and what a pleasure it is to be able to spot a coin. Granted, I mab be missing rings and likely will go back eventually and reshoot with lower discrimination . . . or not. The post '82 cents corrode badly in this spot (grass fertilizer or something reacting with the higher zinc alloy). I ignored some of those that gave the three-number-hop from 58 to 61, which I have discovered is the F-75 way of saying "messy cent below". The dimes all read 70 or 71, and the early Memorial cents read 72 or 73 (so far).

I'm usually not so uppity or lazy as to avoid cents or iffy signals (that's where the good surprises are) but I had an MRI Monday and learned I have a torn meniscus in my left knee and kneeling, squatting or hunkering down in general is kind of uncomfortable; and corroded cents don't have the lure they once did.

I'm keeping a logbook of the VDI readings for various objects and have started a line graph of where each falls on the scale.

[quote Idaho-Marke]I take it you're happy?[/quote]

Like the tallest dog on garbage day. :detecting::detecting::detecting:

I have only owned three detectors: One I assembled from a kit in the 70's that would find a Volkswagon Van sized target within 3 inches, the Minelab Musketeer Advantage that finds EVERY bit of coin-sized metal to a depth of 8" or even 12" in best conditions . . . but thinks bottle caps, foil and pulltabs are every bit as good as coins, and now I've been handed the latest technology in a handy, lightweight unit.

I am still reeling that I can actually tell a pre '82 vs. post '82 Memorial cent every time. Astounding. I'm used to the DD coil, so I have no prejudices there.

And the menu/mode choices are so easy and straightforward that I actually adjust them while hunting as conditions change and/or I just feel like seeing what happens. It is a very unintimidating detector to use. Based on the reviews I read I was feeling like I had gone out on a limb with the Fisher. Now that I have used it a week I feel I bought EXACTLY the correct detector for my needs. No regrets yet. I just wish my Lesche tool didn't have the wide guard at the blade step because I can't cut a deep enough plug now; I have to dig bigger holes. :beers:

Charlie, early Memorial cents are in the 72-73 range for me, too. I have not used NOTCH much, but am finding the f75 on nickels may be as good, or maybe even better, then is my cz3d, and it is a nickel hound. If I can get a 30 reading at all, the percentages are high of it being a nickel. Yes, I do dig an occasional tab and some 27-35 other readings, but if I can't wiggle a 30 from at least one direction, very seldom is it a nickel. Wheats and dimes read 70-71 and quarters 82-83. Usually 83. My deepest dime so far was about 7-8" and I've dug 2 quarters 9-10" and each were readings per above and good solid sounds. One of the quarters did give a slight squeal, maybe on edge???, but did lock on 83. The f75 sure is a fun machine. HH jim tn