Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Disappointed about gold performance!

Thegreat26

Hi there. I was airtesting my sovy with various types of metal. I know that sovereign hates airtesting but while i was trying bronze, small coins and silver the machine rocked . When i was testing small gold chains and other small gold jewellery the machine was barely beep and sometimes was not beeping at all. For exmple my wedding ring can't beep in more than 1.5 inches

Don't worry about it to much. Most detectors have a very hard time picking up any size gold chains
except the large ones. Most small or fine chains have to have a rather large size clasp in order for
the detector to pick it up; some are better than others. PI detectors do a better job on chains than VLF
machines but even they can miss the small ones. This is based on my experience and what has been
posted by others. You may find this to be different using your machine and settings. The SOV. will
find them with the best of them so don't give up on it too soon.

Happy Hunting
XT

i do not worry so much because mostly i hunt bronze and silver coins. Hopefully if on my way i find a gold coin it would be big enough for my sovy to scream. Thanx for calming me down. Maybe this sound stupid but for the 2 months i own the sovy i didn't turn my explorer on. I m so excited on the sovereign.

I have found a few gold rings with my Sovereign and one was very deep as it was very old and gave a good signal that was repeatable that sounded like a nickle, but the ID numbers read of a beaver tail off off the old round pull tab and smoother. It was around 9-10 inches deep in a area littered with pull tabs, but like I say it sounded deeper and smoother is why I dug it. The few others I have dug that were not more than 3-4 inches deep gave great signals.
On my gold wedding band which is 14K it will read 110 on the 180 meter which is normally alum foil so if I would run any disc at all I probably would not get it or a very iffy signal.

Good luck as once you get to know your Sovereign well it will amaze you what it will find.

Rick

Poor in air but the sovereign will pick up chains in the sand i have had quite a few, problem is they are mostly in the foil range so watch the dicrimination(same as fine gold rings)

I wouldn't worry yourself about finding gold with a Sovereign. These machines are known to hit and hit hard on gold rings. Over the years, when I didn't pay much attention to the Sovereign circles while owning other makes and even Explorers, I always heard that those machines were better at finding gold rings than anything on the market. Now I know it's both due to the BBS technology and great audio, but also most importantly due to how well the machine "locks on" with it's VDI to targets. It's VDI resolution is just perfect in my book. Not too low to give you fits on splitting hairs on junk versus rings, yet not too high to wander around on you or be jumpy (Explorer, etc). It may cram everything about a copper penny into the 180 number but remember many machines do that (can't tell the difference in coins easily), and it's VDI and audio scale is expanded on everything below copper pennies all the way down to tiny foil balls. What that means is you can see all the common tab type numbers yet nickles are easy to pick out by both VDI and audio. Not only that, but watch for those "odd" numbers that fall somewhere between nickles and foil, or numbers that aren't your common tab type in that area. I tested a bunch of foil balls from pea sized to quarter sized and was amazed that this machine puts them all for me below 90 on the VDI. There are a few rare exceptions in the field where foil will get higher, but for the most part most foil will ID lower than 90 and give a distinct fuzzy/sick sound compared to even gold rings reading that low. On the other hand, most gold rings will read about 75 and go up from there, so even if you set your discrimination to kill everything below 90 and then notch out most round and square tabs (84% fall between 152 and 165 on the VDI scale) you still will get the majority of rings we've tested. To further discriminate the other numbers most gold rings will lock into one or maybe two VDI#s, or at least not bounce around hardly at all in VDI. They will have a round/warm/smooth/soft sound to them most of the time as well. Where as junk even with the same VDI # will usually sound harsh, tinny, raspy, hollow, break up, or at least bounce around in VDI if it's not uniform in shape.

Gold chains and very tiny gold like earings are tough for any machine. Some are better at it than others like Tesoros, but the problem is that you'll dig a bunch of tiny bits of aluminum can slaw and other bits of junk that those machines will bang hard on and drive you crazy digging all day long. On the other hand, I've dug tiny shoe lace eyelets with my GT and 15x12 coil at some pretty amazing depths, so I have no doubt a small piece of gold like a earing should hit pretty good with it. If you are particular about looking for thin gold chains or tiny gold jewlery then I'd suggest going to a smaller coil. On most machines the smaller the coil the better they will hit those types of targets. Something like the S-5, Excelerator 5", or even the 8" (which is 7 1/4" or so) Minelab coil might do a better job at hitting better at those types of targets.

When we scanned in over 100 gold rings on the GT even the smallest of them hit well on the GT. How thin and small they were wasn't really a problem to lock on and give good audio. What did give the machine problems was those rings that weren't solid, like ones having a sort of spider web type construction where there were many holes in the "webbing" or "lace" with no solid surface area. I guess that compares to how gold chains are in a sense. Those rings tended to bounce around a bit, but I'd say they only represented about 5 or 6 rings out of a total of about 123 I think that a friend dug with his Excaliber while water hunting. Since he dug anything above iron this was a true random sample of gold rings, including white gold and even a platnum ring.

When air testing please remember that the Minelabs don't like it at all. For one RF noise will cause you to lower sensitivity so much that response will suffer. Keep it higher and the ID/audio will get flakey due to the interference. Besides all that these machines like a ground load instead of air to see with their processor. In other words you should expect much better/deeper response on undisturbed targets in the ground.

I've tested some pretty darn thing plain gold bands that hit fine on this machine and lock on with good VDI and audio. I wouldn't worry about it at all. You've got the deepest non-PI gold ring and old coin machine on the market. The M6/MXT have a great reputation for finding gold rings as well due to the audio and the VDI. However, the VDI isn't as high of resolution as the GT's, and the audio doesn't offer all the tone information the GT has either. Not to mention those machines won't get nearly as deep on a gold ring, even in good soil.

The key is the audio and a good VDI. Sweep over some gold rings and then some pulltabs or balls of foil with the same or close VDI numbers. Most of the time you CAN hear a difference in the audio. Like Rick said above another trick is to listen for those "tab" signals or other common trash VDI numbers that somehow sound different/smoother, or are deeper than what that type of trash is found at. I like to think of that as time traveling past the trash. If the old round tabs go no deeper than 6" deep at a location then you can bet I'll be digging any "tab" signal that is 7" or deeper. You'll soon learn by sound what depth a target is. I always found depth meters over rated myself anyway. They aren't reliable and on every machine I've had that feature on I just went by the sound to determine how deep it probably was. It also saves you time since you aren't going into depth meter mode and having to look at the screen to see what it thinks it's depth is. Even in shallow trash and a sea of tabs there are other tools. Use the notch from to just kill 165 and it will blow down to about 152.5, eliminating most tabs. Set the discrimination to kill all below 90 when a bunch of foil is around. Now listen for the softer/sweeter signals. Dig the stable ones and the "odd" ones, like say 166 which some say a silver 3 cent piece or maybe a gold ring might read at. Besides other number ranges of course, 166 to 172 is a good area to dig since zinc pennies at 173 when you are in a sea of those and can't stand to dig them anymore. You might dig a nice sized gold ring in those number ranges.

My Gt has no problem hitting small gold rings. One thing I've learned is that using to much sensitivity will give poor results on small or deep targets like gold rings. As far as gold chains the Sovereigns are about the same as most standard VLF detectors but better than most in bad ground and saltwater beaches. In the dirt or sand the smallest chains that the GT is able to see will sometimes give a broken or bad signal similar to steel bottle caps but are a bit softer. I still think the Sovereign could be even hotter if Minelab would expand the discrimination range on future Sovereign models. If your going to air test targets do it outside away from most of the electronic interference and even then take the result s with a grain of salt as you will get much better results on in-ground targets. Here is a quick video air testing a tiny 14kt. wire gold ring. I didn't use any special settings just the last settings I had used on a earlier hunt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL0gR2nRKu0

all your answers were really helpful thank you all