Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Disappointed in T2 air tests--is something wrong?

bd1024

Hi everyone, and thanks in advance for any help you may have to offer. ------ I bought a new T2 SE last month, ---- (I bought one about 6 years ago also)----- The one I have now is the latest version, T2, SE, was manufactured in Feb of 2017------I have 4 other detectors, a Minelab 505, 705, and Garrett AT PRO and GOLD, (with a Max on order)-------- With the T2 on 99 sens, 21 disc, and 3 tones, my air test results with silver coins, (or clad) are pretty much the same, with the stock 8x11 coil, I am getting only 8" on a copper penny, a war nickel, a mercury dime, and 10" on a silver Franklin 50 cent piece. -------With a NEL Hunter coil on the unit, it loses another 1 or 2 inches when compared to the stock coil---- Now I do realize that air tests don't mean a lot, but for what it's worth, all of my other machines do better.------ Even the Minelab 505 with the stock 9" concentric coil. ----- So my question is, --- should I send this T2 in to have it looked at? ------ Or are these results typical for the T2? ----- Thanks!

I only use a original green T2 as i could never see any real advantage in me upgrading,if i lived in a city environment and had EMI issues then i would say then that would be a good move for a upgrade,but i live in the countryside so no EMI problems.

Regarding airtests they only provide basic information,a couple of observations from your tests is that you are using the NEL Hunter coil,from experiance of using that coil and also others in the NEL range for some reason it did not provide any real advantage over the stock coil,the coil is not a massive size increase over the stock coil anyway.Why are you using 21 disc for airtesting ?? prehaps if you reduce it down to single digits then that could well give you some extra depth,possibly try 2+ for audio ?

The NEL coil only being slightly larger than the stock coil will hardly give you any depth advantage if any or even ground coverage over the stock coil which was finely tuned for the T2 from the factory,a coil that is much larger than both of those coils will of course give you additional depth and ground coverage but mainly only on larger targets.

I use a variety of aftermarket coils and these can be much bigger and even smaller than the stock coil,but they are not just say 1'' or so larger or smaller as i cannot see any reason to overlap coils its just does not make a great amount of difference performance wise for additional cost ie stock 11x8 v Hunter 8.5'' x 12.5'' hardly any difference that warrants the extra cost,of course this is only my personal opinion.But a factory fitted coil will be totally matched for the best performance compared with a 'almost' similar coil that would not be as finely tuned i would think that it would not out perform the stock coil.

But by adding say in my case a NEL Storm coil ie 14x13 then yes i do see a fair amount of performance increase in not only depth but also ground coverage with the added bonus of still being sensitive on small targets,which as a general rule is not the case the larger you go with a coil,they will give depth but mainly on larger targets and the ground coverage but in clean ground.

The only real advantage of having the latest updates as i see it is the fact that it suppresses EMI better so you can run the machine slightly hotter,would you see a massive advantage over older versions of the T2 ?? for my detecting sites i could not see any real advantage,had taken into consideration the cache hunting mode which in theory does give you some extra depth but when i used a borrowed machine i felt the signal became much grainier so decided that its only advantage would be for pinpointing over everyday use.

I run the T2 with 5 coils but with a wide size increase between them as i cannot see the need to duplicate coil size,my largest one is the NEL BIG coil ie 17x15 but that is for site specific use and ultra deep and larger targets,on small targets at depth its about as much use as a ashtray on the back of a motorbike lol,but if i sense a possible hoard in one of my pasture sites then the 'big fella' comes out too play and it will find large targets at amazing depth.

Of course this is only my opinion and thoughts about using the T2 which i have use and had great success over many years here in the UK,others may of course disagree but thats fine with me.

Thank you for the info and opinions. ----- I do appreciate it. ----The reason I did the air test with disc at 21 and 3 tones is those are the settings I use when hunting. ---- I agree that the NEL Hunter coil is not helping on this detector. --- I purchased it after putting one on my Garrett AT Pro, where it made a significant difference over the stock coil, with about a 20% increase in depth. ----- I also have a NEL Storm coil for the Garrett, and like everything about it, even the weight is manageable for such a large coil, (unlike the Minelab 15" 3khz coil, that feels like an anchor on the end of my 705)--------- I am wondering if my T2 would do better in the real world environment, I guess the only way to find out would be to dig some holes and bury some coins. -----If you get a chance to duplicate my test settings, please let me know what your results are. ----- Thank you!

A member suggested that I try the non-DST mode, (9.1)---- Doing so increased the air results by 1 to 1.5" --- Thanks for the info!

Have you tried testing it in all metal with same sensitivity or reducing your disc to minimum ? I don't have a T2 but my F19 air tests better than that by at least 2 inches in discrimination mode (at zero) and sensitivity maxed out (same 11 DD coil). Your T2 should be equal or better IMHO.

Some people have done air tests with the F75 and F70/Patriot in the Fisher and/or Teknetics forum. The targets are comparable and the T2 should be very close or equal to those results.

if you're getting 8 inches on a penny it sounds pretty good. when you factor in the halo affect you'll get at least 2 or 3 more inches in the ground.