Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Disc./Pinpoint switch on my new Excal. ll clicking and "clunking"?

Crispy Critter

Hello fellow treasure hunters,

I recently got my new Excalibur ll. Used it twice and it seems to work fine but I have noticed one thing though. Sometimes, when I turn the Disc/Pinpoint knob, I'm hearing and feeling in the handle, the normal click along with a strange clunk. It will do the same every time I actuate the knob but then for some reason, the clunking will stop and it will just click like normal for awhile. Then after a little use, it will go back to clunking again. The pot seems to be mounted tight. Has anyone else experianced this? I'm wondering if I need to send it in or possibly let my dealer know about it? Just doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks for any advice.
Crispy

Crispy Critter said:

I recently got my new Excalibur ll. Used it twice and it seems to work fine but I have noticed one thing though. Sometimes, when I turn the Disc/Pinpoint knob, I'm hearing and feeling in the handle, the normal click along with a strange clunk. It will do the same every time I actuate the knob but then for some reason, the clunking will stop and it will just click like normal for awhile. Then after a little use, it will go back to clunking again. The pot seems to be mounted tight. Has anyone else experianced this? I'm wondering if I need to send it in or possibly let my dealer know about it? Just doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks for any advice.
Crispy

I'm also wondering ....does the Disc/Pinpoint switch connect to the electronics board mechanically or electrically with wires?

Thanks

Crispy Critter said:

Thanks for any advice.
Crispy

Is this your first Excal? if so you do you know anyone else with one to compare? I can barely hear mine when it clicks from one mode to the other, thats on both of the ones I have.
the stems off the pots have O rings on them so they are much tighter to turn than a land detector.

Hi Neil, thanks for your reply.

This is my second Excalibur ll. Had one a couple years back. The first one never did this and this one does it intermittently. Almost seems like my actuating the switch, is causing something to move inside of the pod, like maybe the board? I was hoping that someone might be able to tell me if the switch is connected to the board by mechanical means. Doesn't really matter though because it's going to Minelab (already boxed). I'm not going to have a brand new, already in need of and then repaired machine. I'm going to get a new one or my money back. One or the other. I should have known better than to buy the machine in the first place. Just thought I would get lucky. Pretty damn upsetting. I haven't had this machine a month yet and only really used it once.

HH, Crispy

Crispy,
Sorry to hear about you problems with your Excal II ..... Not sure what's going on at Minelab, but this model is really getting some bad press lately ....I'm beginning to wonder if ANYBODY got a good one ......???????......Good Luck in your send back ....Jim

Crispy if youve had one and know how they sound/feel than you know this ones not right. Sorry to hear it, anytime any detector has to go in for service when its newer is a bummer. Is yours made in Malaysia?

Hey Jim, Yeah Ive got two good ones, both excal IIs, an 8" and a 10" one. Both work as they should, no problems. These are both about a year old and have never been in for repairs. I sincerly doubt Ive got the only two good ones:biggrin:
Anyways a few that have problems hardly means they are all bad.

Jim and Neil, thanks! Yes, it's a new, made in Malaysia model with the ten inch coil. I'm glad I've got the Sovereign for backup. :detecting:

Neil ,
Glad you got a couple good ones ....I got a great working Malaysian E Trac ..... I guess I'm more skeptical with the Excal II's because I've had my eye on one , but think I might be better off looking for a used one at this point unless Minelab service does a quick turn around and start taking care of business in a timely fashiion ....Jim

PS....Take a quck scan down the topics in this forum , and note how many issues with Excal II's !!.....You don't see this with other Minelab machines ....or at least not as much .....??????.......Jim

Jim,
Ive got a great working Irish Etrac:thumbup:, my favorite machine!

I keep a loose eye on this forum so Im familiar with what your saying. In general water machines are probably the ones that break the most. if you look on the beach forum you will see the CZ20s over time have been called tanks because how durable they are compared to other water machines. but they break down also, do a little reading up on those. and also you will see some folks are not crazy about first texas service either. minelab had good service at one time and Ive been fortunate not to have to use them lately. I am only a reader on how they are now, Ive no actual experience with it. I would call and speak to them if your worried about their service and see if you can get a better understanding of where they really are headed.
and dont forget the tiger shark, tesoros probably go the best service around, but they havent produced that puppy in quite awhile because of some supply problems. all in all the excal is a great choice I think.

Neil - You make a good point, water units do break the most. But in the case of both my own and a hunting buddies Excal II's that are both requiring a 2nd trip back to the shop, neither has ever even been under water. We hunt wet sand a few hours a month and then hose them off after each time out. Add to the fact that you damn near require a aftermarket straight shaft as well as aftermarket knobs on top of not real acceptable turn around repair times.... I don't know, I would expect more for a $1200.00 machine from any company, regardless of source.

Since they havent been out that long and your already on your second return I think I would be unhappy also, especially since your not using it in the water.
which of course begs the question why did you buy a waterproof unit if your just wet sand hunting.

the money thing is more an opinion really. I spend that or more on each new bicycle I get and get no financial return. however detecting as you know one good find and youve paid for your detector. Already done that several times over, Im way ahead of the game financially I feel.

rather than put yourself through what your feeling I would move on to another detector and just turn the page.

Hey Neil - I haven't seen you out in a while (I hunt with the Rover). I bought the Excal because I wanted to have the ability to hunt the Nor'easters in the wind/rain. I've already water damaged a Sov GT and love the tones, so I went with the waterproof unit. I'll get in the water some day. Hope to see you swinging this winter somewhere.

Hi Neil,
I'm looking at this from the point of view that you can get a brand new Sovereign GT ( Great machine, I own one ) for $800 that will do wet sand without issues ....Now you pay an additional $400 for basicallly the same machine , only waterproof and good to 200' of water , and you barely get it wet and it it screws up ????? ....Somebody's not doing their job at quality control !!!..... I completely agree that water machines do have a higher oportunity to have damage due to the nature of the machine and what it's made to do , and I can understand that over time the Saltwater is going to get to it , but these are BRAND NEW mahcines here .... These machines are no where near being tested to do what their capabilities are suppose to be , and they're STILL screwing up ... The fact that another company has customer service issues is really not relavant here ..... We're tallking about people who bought a Minelab machine , not a Fisher , and expecting the best machine out there for their needs !!.... The economy is in HORRIBLE shape !!....ANY company that is selling thier wares today should be THRILLED to get the business, and should be sending out the best product that they can ...... We're not buying $300 detectors here .....We are buying the best , and should be getting the best .....Sorry for the rant , but we deserve better ....Jim

ML said:
Hey Neil - I haven't seen you out in a while (I hunt with the Rover). I bought the Excal because I wanted to have the ability to hunt the Nor'easters in the wind/rain. I've already water damaged a Sov GT and love the tones, so I went with the waterproof unit. I'll get in the water some day. Hope to see you swinging this winter somewhere.

Ive been spending more time bike riding than anything else this summer. I will be heading out more from late oct and on. If we get a good blow and some sand moves I will have to hook up with you guys.

synthnut said:
Hi Neil,
I'm looking at this from the point of view that you can get a brand new Sovereign GT ( Great machine, I own one ) for $800 that will do wet sand without issues ....Now you pay an additional $400 for basicallly the same machine , only waterproof and good to 200' of water , and you barely get it wet and it it screws up ????? ....Somebody's not doing their job at quality control !!!..... I completely agree that water machines do have a higher oportunity to have damage due to the nature of the machine and what it's made to do , and I can understand that over time the Saltwater is going to get to it , but these are BRAND NEW mahcines here .... These machines are no where near being tested to do what their capabilities are suppose to be , and they're STILL screwing up ... The fact that another company has customer service issues is really not relavant here ..... We're tallking about people who bought a Minelab machine , not a Fisher , and expecting the best machine out there for their needs !!.... The economy is in HORRIBLE shape !!....ANY company that is selling thier wares today should be THRILLED to get the business, and should be sending out the best product that they can ...... We're not buying $300 detectors here .....We are buying the best , and should be getting the best .....Sorry for the rant , but we deserve better ....Jim

ok jim.