Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Discrimination points on cibola discrim dial

cdsmith46

I know that Tesoro metal detectors are famous for their ability to discriminate out unwanted metals. The question that I have is related to the Ciboloa model only- some point are marked, some are not. Can anybody give me a general around the dial marking by clock face notation? Details would help so much on this...

Each detector is a little different. Gather up some different targets (zinc penny, nickel, copper penny, dime, quarter, different pull tabs etc.) and do your own testing. Use a Sharpie ultra point marker to put 'tic' marks if need be. They're easily removed with a Q-tip and alcohol. I like to know exactly where a Gatorade foil cap discriminates out. When I'm looking for gold rings I never go beyond that point on discrimination except when I'm searching tot lots.

tabman

Hhmmm the discrimination has always worked well on mine. The factory mark was off a bit for the nickle but I just used a sharpie to mark exactly where it beeps at and made a mark for zinc pennies too.

cdsmith46 said:
I know that Tesoro metal detectors are famous for their ability to discriminate out unwanted metals. The question that I have is related to the Ciboloa model only- some point are marked, some are not. Can anybody give me a general around the dial marking by clock face notation? Details would help so much on this...

cdsmith46,

This is something posted by somebody else, I think for a Vaquero. It should be close to a Ciboloa discrimination knob.

[attachment 282874 Vac_Face_Plate_11.JPG]

Is this what you wanted ?

HaRM

As mentioned, practice a bit with different targets and mark the fall off point. I often set my detectors to accept nickels so as to accept most gold jewelry and I often start out by throwing a nickel on the ground and passing the coil over it as I disc. it out then set the knob to where a nickel responds well and go from there. That way, I know I'm set to the nickel regardless of how the face plate around the knob is marked.
BB

BarberBill said:
As mentioned, practice a bit with different targets and mark the fall off point. I often set my detectors to accept nickels so as to accept most gold jewelry and I often start out by throwing a nickel on the ground and passing the coil over it as I disc. it out then set the knob to where a nickel responds well and go from there. That way, I know I'm set to the nickel regardless of how the face plate around the knob is marked.
BB

Good points Bill. But I would highly recommend using a Gatorade foil cap instead of using a nickel for a reference point. From my testing I've found that there are a lot of small gold rings (with diamonds) worth recovering that fall between where a Gatorade foil cap discriminates out and just under where a nickel still hits hard. Any ring below where a Gatorade foil cap discriminates isn't worth the hassle because it's gold content is so small and you have to deal with all those tiny pieces of foil. Small gold chains fall below Gatorade foil caps and are worth finding, but they're far and few between and you have to fight through all those tiny pieces of foil to find them. I only look for small gold chains in tot lots and super clean sports fields.

tabman

Here's what they look like:

sportsdrinkfoiltops001.jpg

Here's what they come off of:

gatoraid_zpsde09d47a.jpg

Interesting idea. I haven't had any experience with gatorade caps as I don't normall drink it or purchase it for that matter.
BB

BarberBill said:
Interesting idea. I haven't had any experience with gatorade caps as I don't normall drink it or purchase it for that matter.
BB

It doesn't matter if you're trying to discriminate them out or not. They're great for setting the discrimination point. A marker of sorts.

I don't want to be guessing.:)

tabman

tabman said:
BarberBill said:
BB

Good points Bill. But I would highly recommend using a Gatorade foil cap instead of using a nickel for a reference point. From my testing I've found that there are a lot of small gold rings (with diamonds) worth recovering that fall between where a Gatorade foil cap discriminates out and just under where a nickel still hits hard. Any ring below where a Gatorade foil cap discriminates isn't worth the hassle because it's gold content is so small and you have to deal with all those tiny pieces of foil. Small gold chains fall below Gatorade foil caps and are worth finding, but they're far and few between and you have to fight through all those tiny pieces of foil to find them. I only look for small gold chains in tot lots and super clean sports fields.

tabman

Here's what they look like:

sportsdrinkfoiltops001.jpg

Here's what they come off of:

gatoraid_zpsde09d47a.jpg

Hey Tabman, will this also work on a Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax?

Thx..

cdsmith46 said:
That is exactly what I wanted but no one else picked that up. Thank you!!!

You are very welcome cdsmith46, BarberBill & tabman had good suggestions to, try testing different objects to see if they fall where indicated on the picture.

Each MDer is slightly different.

HaRM