Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Discrimination Settings

Hi all. I have a special edition goldbug that is version 2.9. I am wondering what settings people have on discrimination when hunting relatively new fields. Say 10 year ol d fields (no antiques here). What is your gain at? What is your discrimination at?
I find that if I crank up the Gain too high, that I hit the smallest annoying piece of tin foil! Drives me nuts, so I now hunt with my gain at 6 and my Disc at around 42.

Dwayne --

It really depends on what you are hunting for, and what you don't mind "missing." You say that you have been hunting "new" fields, and have been digging small aluminum foil; from this information, my guess is that you are hunting both modern clad coins AND jewelry, and that you are digging any signal above your disc setting. This is what I deduce from your post -- is this correct?

A couple of things I can say...if you want to hit ALL possible jewelry, you gotta dig small junk -- including the small foil pieces! The bad news is it's a pain; the good news is that these machines are that sensitive! Over time, you will learn to "hear" the size of the target based on the machine's response to it -- both in disc. mode, and in pinpoint mode. Then, with the VDI as additional information, you can choose whether to dig that really small stuff or not -- as you will have an idea of the "size" and conductivity of the target before you dig it. Keep in mind, though -- if you decide to DIG, you'll most often end up with a tiny piece of junk, BUT at the same time you will also obviously increase your chances of finding small gold (earring backs, very small rings, thin chains/bracelets, etc.). If you decide NOT to dig, you obviously will dig less junk, but will also miss some small gold.

What I do, is, when I hunt a place that I think may hold small gold jewelry, I DO dig those small-sounding, 40s VDI-type targets (like, in sand boxes, wood-chip lots, volleyball courts, etc.), and I would also do so on the beach. In trashy parks, though, I ignore some of those 40s VDI targets, and concentrate on the bigger-sounding, slightly higher-VDI stuff.

If you just want to dig the larger gold, and all coins, you can choose to "not dig" anything below about 50. If you want coins only, you can choose not to dig anything below mid 50s. If you are willing to ignore nickels (which VDI mid to upper 50s), you can choose not to dig anything below low 70s (where the lowest VDI zinc pennies can hit). If you are willing to dig only coins that are modern, but NOT zinc pennies, you can choose to dig only targets that VDI above the upper 70s (where the lowest-reading copper cents will mainly hit). My point here is, you need to decide first what you are willing to "miss," and what you absolutely do NOT want to miss, and then go from there.

I'm sure you already know all of this, but hopefully there is something in there that is useful. Yes, turning down the gain can help some, too...but again, I feel that you first have to decide what you are willing to "miss," and then set your machine up accordingly. It's sort of a "cost/benefit" decision that each person has to make for themselves, on a given day, at a given site. For me, it changes based on circumstances.

Steve

Great reply! Its kind of answers by concern with hunting these sites. I guess that there is no way to get beyond having to dig pretty much all targets in the gold range. Why they designed it so gold fits in that 40s range is beyond me. Too bad that I can't set it high 70s and cherry pick the gold! grr

Dwayne --

They COULD have set gold to read in the 70s; problem is, there would STILL be different types of trash that would read the same as the gold -- i.e. up there in the 70s (or wherever) with the gold. Problem is, metal detectors do NOT, obviously, sense the "type" of metal in the ground directly; only "properties" of the metals, as best as the machines can determine (i.e. conductivity, size of object, etc.) Something like a small piece of aluminum, which has relatively "low" conductivity, and a similar size to some gold jewelry, will thus read very similar to that gold jewelry.

Coins are made to very exacting specifications, so it is easier for a detector manufacturer to program a machine's software to "recognize" the properties of those coins (though even there, the machines can be "fooled" -- i.e. where a smashed aluminum screw cap can read very similar to a quarter, etc.) Bottom line is that gold jewelry comes in an endless array of sizes and shapes, and many different types of "alloys" (i.e. 9K, 10K, 14K, 18K, 22K, 24K), and the same can be said of aluminum fragments, pull tabs, pop tops, washers, screws, etc. -- and therefore, there are endless ways that different pieces of gold jewelry can be "identified" by any detector -- which is obviously going to be similar to the way many of these "junk" items "read" on the machine. There's simply no way around that, unfortunately!

Steve