Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Discrimination with the GPX 4500

cookie58

Somebody that is an experienced user of the 4500------Can you tell me if there is any discrimination with this machine with relics. If so, is it only with hearing or is there a setting that causes this machine to null (if it really does) over ferrous materials? I have heard a little about the timing, but not a whole lot to really understand. I had a TDI earlier which seemed to have no discrimination at all. How does the 4500 compare? Information on anything is always appreciated. Thanks.........

The 4500 has iron reject with the use of DD coils. With the standard 11 inch coil, iron reject works down to about 6 inches. larger coils the reject goes a little deeper. Iron reject doesn't work with mono or anti-interference coils. I also have the TDI which you can discriminate to some degree, but the GPX is far better than the TDI when discriminating iron. On the GPX when you're using iron reject the signal will either null completely or breakup when going over an iron target. Remember it only works to a certain depth, but so does the discrimination on VLF machines, as far as that goes. There are other characteristics that iron gives at depth but for the most part you'll have to use the machine and learn those on your own, too hard to explain. Good deep targets just sound good, iron not so much.

Anbenson, thanks. Maybe, I will be learning more later on. I hope that I do not annoy anyone for asking questions......Thanks....

I use mine for relic hunting and I run iron reject on 6 and when I hear a good tone I go in a circle around it and usually if it nulls while checking this way it is iron. Another way is to approach the target and when you get a good tone on the front of the coil go past the target and check the heel of the coil coming back, it should sound good coming back. Then step around 90 degrees and do the same and if it sounds good dig it.

Thanks Jimmie. What about high tones? Are they always iron, or only if they null? Tell me about a button sound......Thanks.