Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Disturbing sight at new site

pplinker

Only had 45 min this evening so drove the short distance to new permission. Yesterday I had noticed a dog igloo in the back yard but didn't see the dog out and it wasn't barking. This evening it was out of the igloo but still not barking at me, a stranger in the yard. It was just laying there all curled up. When it did get up, it looked sick and weak. Very, very thin with prominent ribs. He has a larger head maybe a bit of pitbull in him. There was no water but some containers there. I scooped water out of a pot hole in the road as he watched with interest. Placed the water where he could reach it, but not get tangled and knock it over and he drank for a long time. Was leaving, went to my nearby car, he stopped and looked at me. Went home and got a large cup of dogfood and took it back and put it out. He started eating it, but was not necessarily wolfing it down. He must be getting fed because there was dog piles around, which of course I stepped in and tracked into my car. Yeah, poor me.

There was no bedding in the dog igloo, just plain dirt. So no water, no bedding, it isn't getting treated well. I know there are animal cruelty laws and they'd probably get in trouble for this whether guilty or not from the appearance of the animal being so skinny. But, it could have just tipped its water over and they didn't know, and it could be old and sick. And maybe the only thing they're doing wrong is not giving it bedding. But then again, if it is old and sick, it at least deserves a nice cozy bed of straw.

I will keep an eye on this situation and take more food and water along tomorrow. I know i'll have to talk to them but don't want to come across as an interfering nosey do gooder. Please pray for me to find the best way to help this dog.

I'm sure many of us have run into similar situations. I know I have and I shared what I saw with a friend who is a part-time police officer. He made a phone call and the people living there were spoken to my local police department and an officer from our country animal control organization. I'm not privy to the conversation, with the animal's owners, but I do know the animal was treated entirely different afterward. Even though there was a positive change in the animal's care, that poor dog was still left in that tiny fenced in backyard pacing 24/7 - 365 - rain or shine - even throughout the winter. I felt so sorry for that poor animal.

Not sure what state but winter has arrived here. Dogs with no bedding shiver and burn what little every they have then suffer.

Mike from MI \"Iron Brigade\" said:
Not sure what state but winter has arrived here. Dogs with no bedding shiver and burn what little every they have then suffer.

West Virginia - - and there has been frost on the windshield the past week.

I just went there, nobody was home. I put some hay in it's box, so it will be warmer tonight. There was still some water, but I dumped it out and replaced it with some I brought in a gallon jug. Gave it a quart ziplock bag full of food.

"People who knowingly mistreat animals need to be reported." You are surely right, DocHoliday. If it comes to that, I promise I will report them. Right now, I've given it comfort. I'm going to metal detect there some more and if I see them out, I'm going to say, " I hope you don't mind that I gave your dog some hay to sleep on".... and take the conversation from there. I don't really want to get the authorities involved because the landlord is my friend and it might reflect on him somehow. Besides I want to metal detect at least another day.

SeniorSeeker, I'm glad you made a change in that dog's treatment. God Bless!

God Bless you for helping the poor dog! So many people and animals are mistreated! Yes, please report any abuse as you might save a life, human or animal! Ma

Have not been back to check the dog for a few days. This morning I was picking the meat off of a big roasting chicken from a few days ago. Had a lot of bones, skin, wings and back left over. So I took it over to dog owners house, reintroduced myself, The guy was pleasant. I said about wanting to give the scraps to "my new buddy." He was fine with it, but I told him there is bones in it and can his dog eat bones, and he hollered back to his wife and she said yes. So we got in a short conversation about the dog. I said is he old and sick? He said yes, he is 12 years old and has had cancer, but he still plays sometimes. He also asked if I was the one who had put straw in the box. I said, yes, but he doesn't really go in the box much, does he? To sort of try to deflect the question. He said yes, he goes in it when it rains. Anyway, he said I could feed the scraps so I went back and put the scraps in his food container. It did look as though he'd been laying in the straw as it seemed tamped down.

To those concerned about the dog, I may have caused unnecessary worry since his thin condition is probably age and cancer. But I'm still glad to have interceded because the lack of bedding on cold nights was definitely not right. As someone who is not real comfortable around or tactful with people, I feel like this worked out to where I was able to find out about the dog, and not come across as accusing. Prayers helped. Thanks for all who prayed and advised and I will always report abuse. Thank God this time for the most part it was only suspected abuse.

I think I would keep checking back to see if he is getting food and water. The real cold will be here soon.

Sounds like you went about getting the dog info in a good way, but shame on them for not treating a sickly and old dog better than what it seems they have and keeping him a warm bed is a must! May God's mercy be upon all sickly and older animals and humans for His mercies endure forever! Amen!