Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DIY PI Coil Formula

A

Anonymous

Here is a reasonably accurate formula for shallow coils.

Thanks for the formula information. I have one question about the winding depth. What would be a good rule of thumb on how to guess this depth without knowing the diameter of the wire used?

Hi Rick,
For detector coils where the winding length is short i.e. less than 1in it doesn't make a lot of difference. If you make the winding length 0.5in the result comes out at 23 turns. For a 1in length, 24 turns. Generally a coil is bundle wound and will be less than 0.5in diameter. I usually calculate the coil turns, wind the coil, then measure on an inductance meter. Mostly it is slightly over and I take a turn or two off. PI detectors are not critical on coil inductance and plus or minus 10% will make little difference to performance.
Eric.

Eric, how accurate is this formula when you compare it to coils you have actually wound?