Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DIY Probe

dougmoore34

I found, ordered and tested my kit probe. It came as a kit from Velleman Part# K7102. Anyway I have no experience with electronics so I thought this was a bad idea. It was idiot proof. I read their .pdf file online [looked at the pictures]. Before long I was air testing my new probe. It has an LED that gets brighter as it nears metal and a buzzer that makes sound. In air tests I got 3 1/2 inches on a dime. In the dirt I got about the same. You can also adjust the sensativity by placing it at the desired range from a coin and twisting a knob. I am impressed with this experiment. I am sure that a person with a clue can easily build a quality probe, but this kit was easy enough that I could manage it...very cool indeed.
HH,
Doug in Oregon

As pathetic as it sounds I have to learn that from my wife. After that I'll take a pic with my cell phone. Would be nice for posting finds too. [pop tab collection]
HH,
Doug in Oregon

I've look at the photos of the metal detector at Velleman Part # K7102 that dougmoore34 posted and store.qkits.com posted by stan in colo and the boxes each of those places recommend putting them in but .... what part of it do you point in the hole to pinpoint the target? Or, is this unit used for finding something just under the surface (within 3" or so) of the ground rather than in a hole? Or, I'm I way off base as to what this thing is used for? I thought it was a pin-pointer.

Thanks

CliffHanger

I am wondering the same thing too, if the coil was made to the size of electronic pinpointers then would it pick up a coin at 3"? From what I see, it wouldn't be good for pinpointing unless the coil could be fashioned something like pinpointers that one can readily buy or fill us in on the details of this project?

designed for locating nails in walls,wiring etc.You could with a little tedious enginuity put the coil in a pvc tube,maybe.I personally dont have this item but use a sunray probe instead.Just thought i'd post the website for all of you,with questions. stan

Ok the kit produces an adjustable metal detector. It ships with a ferrite rod that your coils [two coils total] are wound onto. now orientation of the rod and adjustment determine if you made a probe or a stud finder. I wanted a probe so I wrapped the first coil, dipped that end of the ferrite rod in brush on electrical tape and did the same with coil two. Now you have a double coil insulated ferrite rod with 4 wires hanging off of one end. Your windings have to be in the same direction. You can stuff the PCB in whatever project case you want. They claim that if grounded you can even use a metal case and tune it out, but I have not tried it. When I get my second kit I might. Now lets cover adjustment. You have two potentiometers in this probe. The first is actually a trimmer potentiometer. Anyway you adjust the potentiometers to determine sensativity. I have used the standard coil configeration without issue, but they talk about how to modify the probe if your coil structure differs [number of wraps]. Hope the info. helped.
HH,
Doug in Oregon