Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

do people use the coil cover on coil while metal detecting?

andrew9091

ok...this may be a silly silly question......i saw a video where a guy was hunting with a 350 and was doing it with the cover on the coil ??? Is that what its for ??? I always thot it was used for when you were not using the coil ???? I have never kept the cover on......am i in the dark here ?

Sheeeesh do I feel like an idiot. I guess ill start using mine while hunting. I wonder if it effects the depth tho ?

Keeps the coil from getting scratched up. You may have to take it off now and then to keep dirt out. Dirt in it can effect depth, but otherwise I have found no difference.

John

Yeah, back in the day, when searchcoils were just a foam filled shell, it was alot more necessary to use a coil cover because the old searchcoils would actually start to crack and split after much repetitive use. Especially while using in a particularly rocky or sandy(abrasive)area, like beach hunting or even worse, nugget hunting.
Nowadays, since most searchcoils are solid epoxy resin filled, they're darn near indestructable. It really depends on the type of hunting that you're doing. If I'm just park hunting, field hunting, or tot lot, I won't bother using a searchcoil. However, if I'm nugget hunting, I'll usually use a coil cover, because I've had some serious chunks takin' out of my newer resin filled searchcoils(although the damage really didn't affect performance) I just don't wanna take any chances.
Anyways, it's really just a personal choice, man.
Best of luck.:biggrin: Happy Hunting!:)
By the way, the only stupid question is the one not asked.:thumbup:

If you are hunting in deep snow, its necessary to pull one of those cheap plastic bags from the grocery store up over your coil, and tie it off to the shaft, just to keep the snow from balling up on your coil and making it weight 10 lbs!.
Mud

They are to prolong the life of the coil. With constant movement over the ground the coil will eventually wear out.

I tried to use the coil cover that came with my 9.5 imaging coil, but any sand inside the cover made it go crazy and I just don't use it anymore. Maybe I should, but I don't.

Hey Andy, been a long time, but I use my cover all the time and I never had a problem

I've got them on all mine, and have always used them. The sniper really doesn't need one,
but I bought a cover for it before I got it, and use it. Double protection.
The two large coils can chip and crack if you hit rocks and such. That's the main reason
I use em. I've never had any trouble with dirt messing them up.
They fit so tight, it's not much of a problem.
To me, I actually gain depth, because with the covers, I don't worry about scrubbing the
ground really low, like I would with no covers.
And if I whack a rock, no biggie.. If I yank the covers, my coils still look like new
on the bottoms. :)

I love it on the 350 , just like biscuits and gravy they just go good together, take care, hank

Some people have experimented with spraying undercoating or even bed liner on their coils, providing it doesn't contain any metal. They claim it doesn't affect depth any. One plus, you don't have to really worry about anything getting underneath it.

I am spraying mine today with our 100% polyurethane product, will add pictures when its done have an AT-Pro DD coil

The coil on my Ace 250 took a hard hit on a rock and now has a chip out of the bottom. Thank goodness it's not all the way thru.

Gonna get a coil cover asap.

I own a spray-on-bedliner business and sprayed mine a couple weeks ago, if anyone is interested in seeing pictures or having theirs sprayed contact me
@ 810-385-8600. i called Garrett before I sprayed it and they told me it would not void warranty or effect its performance I have noticed no difference in its performance. It really looks nice, is very protective and makes it virtually unbreakable , simple to clean, and also is waterproof for fresh and saltwater usage.