Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Do Tesoros love Dimes?

BarberBill

In a post further down, Tabman mentions the Cortez and deep dimes. I seem to find an abundance of dimes with any of my Tesoros. Don't know if others using different detectors miss them or if the parks I'm hunting just contain more dimes. Stands to reason that dimes are more often lost and not found when dropped, so that's probably a good part of the reason, but I seem to be finding them at all depths.
BB

My GSII absolutely LOVES dimes more than any other coin. Problem is it only loves them up to about 4-5" (6" max).

10hrs. now with the Tejon and it LOVES any kind of trash from bb size on up and at remarkable depth.... I don't like this machine at all so far...... Have to hunt some private tomorow out of town and the GSII will be the weapon of choice. Can't be spending all my time digging to china for trash......

sorry for the rant......

All of my TRSOROS love ,pennies, Nickels, DIMES, quarters, Half dollars...... If it is a coin, it will find it. You have to get the coil over it first... KEN

You have to get the coil over it first

That is the key to success. It doesn't really matter whether you're swinging a $2500 machine with a fancy colour display and built in GPS, or a $160 Compadre. If your coil doesn't pass over the target you will never find it. And a close second is: If you don't dig it, you won't know if you found it.

Dan

dan b is right on.
BB

I am amazed at how many dimes are lost. Almost as many as pennys.
I am just as amazed at how many my compadre finds.

Onwguy, I tried to warn ya, you want the silver, get a machine with a screen. I just don't see a beep dig machine in anyway being a good silver cherrypicker, which is what you are. IMHO, Tesoro is a bad choice for that. Look at the amount of silver finds in all the other detector threads, yet this one has the most people in it. Beep dig is just very unproductive and time consuming for a silver cherrypicker. Tesoro beep dig equals dig alot of trash...period..

Idxpro said:
Onwguy, I tried to warn ya, you want the silver, get a machine with a screen. I just don't see a beep dig machine in anyway being a good silver cherrypicker, which is what you are. IMHO, Tesoro is a bad choice for that. Look at the amount of silver finds in all the other detector threads, yet this one has the most people in it. Beep dig is just very unproductive and time consuming for a silver cherrypicker. Tesoro beep dig equals dig alot of trash...period..

I've been VERY happy with the GSII for 22yrs and have a VERY nice silver collection and thousands upon thousands of coins dug with that machine and no problems whatsoever. With that said...it's the only machine I've ever known or used until this trash magnet I just got. I'm to the point now with the GSII that I dig 75-80% coin when I dig and that's no bs.....I rarely dig trash. Problem is the machine is a 4-5" machine on a silver dime....period. All I wanted was a couple more inches and had faith in Tesoros' discriminating abilities because of my success with the GSII. Probably way too early to badmouth the new machine but my ear can NOT tell any difference between a coin or junk with this new machine? I run high end Seinhauser phones and TRY SO HARD to LISTEN to what this new machine is trying to tell me but after many different settings, locations, 65 coins in 10hrs (hunted 4 hrs today at the schoolyard for 3 coins and TONS of crap), discrimination so high on disc 1 that I can't go any higher without loosing pennies, disc on 2 set at screwcap and this thing still sounds off good on a pulltab @ 8".....????? That GSII doesn't hardly even know what a pulltab is (probably dig 2-3 all week average).

I'm gonna try and lower the threshold and sensitivity next and maybe with any luck I won't be digging to China on all the junk. Spend more time with the machine at less depth, listen, see, and maybe get a feel for what it's telling me on shallow coin and trash and if I see improvement I can start reaching deeper in baby steps? My gut is telling me this ain't the machine for me tho. You may be right in your words and I'm pretty sure I'll be searching for a silver coinshooter soon......most likely some other brand. Unfortunately I've got to give it a chance as I'm out $600+

Sorry for the hi-jack Bill.....if anyone has any recommendations for me or comments please PM me so we don't hi-jack this thread. Breaks my heart to LOVE one Tesoro and dislike this new one so much. All I wanted was a couple of inches........

sorry for the hi-jack but I had to get this off my chest..........

I've had great success with the Tejon in the past, and with silver too. It takes time to learn it. You can't expect to master it's language in a couple of outings. Give it a chance.

Dan

I had a Vaquero for about a year and a half. I did not have any problem with tabs. If I had the disc set up past tab I would NEVER dig a tab? I don't understand why your Tejon hits tabs with the disc turned up that high? The only thing that seemed to fool the V. was some iron.

In response to IDXpro's statement that you need a screen to find silver - I haven't had experience with all tid machines, but the ones I have and have used ALL gave the same indication whether it was clad or silver, so where's the advantage? As danb posted " you have to swing the coil over it".
BB

I found a 1908 US dime this morning with my Vaquero. Didn't need a screen. I also don't feel the need to post a picture. Doesn't mean Tesoros aren't finding the good stuff. I found it in a 50 acre field. Why? Because by pure chance I got my coil over it. Sounded nice so I dug it.

Dan

My Eldorado metal box, and Silver Sabre Plus do well on dimes, even if i hit high trash and disc out nickles- dig a lot of dimes anyhow. of course, i dig a lot of nickels! and to add to that- i can disc out a nickel and still get the war nickels!!! silver content! and failrly deep too. the deepest Tesoro i ever used i should have bought was an original Bandido. should have bought it.. was a friends who sold it. someone really got a deep machine.

What I meant by my statement was this. Say you run a high disc on a beep dig machine. Dime range and up. That's copper pennies, clad dimes, silver dimes, clad quarters, silver quarters, etc.. Then theres the rusty caps, rusty nails, brass shotshells, etc... As a cherry picker as in Oneguys case, how do you chery pick silver without a screen?? In my experience, silver comes up 3 to 4 digits higher than clad. If I get a high tone but numbers are real jumpy, that aint no coin. How does a beep dig tell you that. Can you tell the difference between a copper penny and a silver dime with a beep only Tesoro? Doubt it. Can you on a screen machine? Yes you can, by about 5 digits!! can you tell the difference between a silver quarter and a piece of aluminum flashing ( yes i find these along old buildings constantly)?? They sound the same same to me and in every way. Those numbers are a must for cherrypicking silver. Oneguy stated he is all about the silver coins and could care less about anything else. Imagine how many MORE silver coins he will find when he does'nt have to waste time digging copper pennies alone! I'd like to see that done with a beep dig machine. I just don't see how it's possible, sorry..

Fred

Idxpro said:
Oneguy stated he is all about the silver coins and could care less about anything else. Imagine how many MORE silver coins he will find when he does'nt have to waste time digging copper pennies alone! I'd like to see that done with a beep dig machine. I just don't see how it's possible, sorry..

Fred

Looks like we're hijacking....lol

Let me clarify guys.... I'm a coinshooter period and could care less about anything else. I do luv the silver and do NOT hunt anywhere that doesn't have a chance or probability of silver. I luv diggin coins tho. Like today...no silver but after the last 3 days of digging deep junk I had a blast hammering out 58 coins on some private ground. I would like a machine like my GSII that discriminates well but goes deeper than 4-5" on a silver dime. I think Idx is right.....I'm gonna look into some sort of TID machine that'll give me a 6-7" silver dime........

Oneguy if your disc is turned up past tab and just short of penny and you are still picking up tabs you need to do some air test and see where the tabs disc out. Better than an air test set the tab on the ground and swing over it with the coil 4-6 inches above, ground balanced and find that point where you miss tabs and still get pennies. If you disc knob does not agree with setting, remove it and reposition it.

Rainyday101 said:
Oneguy if your disc is turned up past tab and just short of penny and you are still picking up tabs you need to do some air test and see where the tabs disc out. Better than an air test set the tab on the ground and swing over it with the coil 4-6 inches above, ground balanced and find that point where you miss tabs and still get pennies. If you disc knob does not agree with setting, remove it and reposition it.

......or use a Sharpie Ultra Fine Point Marker to put a 'tick' mark. It can be easily removed with a Q-Tip swab dampen with a little rubbing alcohol.

I use a lot of tick marks to help me remember.:)

tabman

I think something might be wrong with my compadre. I have a couple friends I hunt with. We like to have fun with each other. Try to see what is in the ground before digging. 90 present of the time I will tell them that a penny is copper or a newer one. The other guys have meters and screens.. Yes the are good to. We all have years of detecting on our detectors. When it comes to a clad dime or silver, I WILL tell you what it is. Yes the sound tells me a lot. So does the little dial on my detector. Sure I get fooled and laughed at, but so do the other guys I hunt with that have VDI or some kind of screen that tells them what they find. My metter is in my ears and eyes. Either way, we all try to have fun... KEN

Thanks Rainy.... I definately need to test more junk by air....too much work in the field....lol I've laid silver dime, IH penny, silver quarter on ground with different (high) disc and got a good 7" on silver dime (weak 8") and strong 8" on IH penny, and of course stronger and higher on quarter. NO DOUBT the Tejon goes deep. Dug a wheatie yesterday @ 7+" and I was impressed. The machine (so far to me) just doesn't seem to disc crap out very well imo...??? I'm also used to the notch and I use it religiously so that most likely has me off kilter. I'll play with it more but my gut is telling me to unload the thing and find a SILVER coinshooter........

Ive had the vaquero for almost two years.I have found perhaps 20 silver dimes and not one silver quarter. Im beginning to think Tesoros dont like quarters.