Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Do the pros know the difference?

A

Anonymous

between a pulltab and a gold ring or coin?
This may have been asked before, but if here in New Zealand a 10c coin and a new pulltab both have a VDI of around 20. and of course gold rings could have hte same VDI?
So my question is : is there a trick to tell the difference? Aluminium and gold are very close on the conductivity scale. Cant reject the pulltab - too much risk of losing gold / coins. But the pulltab DOES have a different shape etc to a coin - not symmetrical.
Are there any tricks - ie heel /toe technique? all metal mode shape profiling? using coil at angle?
Surely there must be a way , or is it just DIG and find out??
thanks
JOhn

Pull tabs here are in two varieties. The small double ones have a VDI primarily of 20-22 but I have found them as high as 37.
The other pull tab looks very much like a ring. This is the one that has the pull tab attached. These will read a wide variety of VDI readings due to their shape. They can be bent or you may only find a part of the pull tab. Readings may vary from 18 - 45.
I am more curious as to what different VDI readings folks find gold rings under. I am posting my second find of this year in a few minutes. Both of mine read a solid VDI of 18 at one inch deep.
HH
Johnny B