Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Do you fill your holes in?

Thylacine

Over the last week or two I have noticed some holes at a park I visit, just a few, right where the boot camp ladies do their thing of a night, I thought someone may have checked the area over to see if the girls have dropped anything of value and zoomed in to pick it up. The holes started just out from the car park and wander onto the oval and through the soccer field, the field is still in use and it is in good shape for a dry winter. There were holes right in front of the goal and all through the keepers box, with lots of chopped up ground.

Last Thursday night I took my good lady wife to the shops so she could buy some work clothes and I shot through telling her to call me when she was ready to come home and headed straight to the park for at least an hour or two of koin-shooting.

I walked on to the oval and there were more holes and chopped up grass. Over the car noise I can hear kids on the oval and a thump thump sound. Out with the new toy (the NVD) to see who I am sharing the place with. At the far side of the field near the sheds in the deep shadows I could make out an adult and a couple of kids. So I head in their direction with my head lamp on full.

It is a father his two sons, two dogs a spade and a now broken hoe, with a 'quality' metal detector from the OZ Geographic store. The guy was a bit surprised that I was able to walk across the park straight to him in the dark. He had seen me pull up and park under the street lamp, then start looking for coins. We exchanged pleasantries, he asked about my ACE and if I had found anything with it. Then I asked him if he had found anything much seeing that he had dug a lot of holes. His boys dropped him in it lots of digging only to find trash, apparently the three of them watch Meteorite Men, they are in the park looking for meteorites but all they can find is 'meteor-wrongs' and dad has an early Fathers Day present, the metal detector!

I tried to explain to the guy that he needs to fill in the holes and that he should try to learn what his machine tells him and not dig every sound he hears. The guy would have nothing of it, apparently he thinks it is his RIGHT to dig holes in the park that's why he pays rates. I showed him my spade cut down to cut neat little plugs but he was not interested, he was just out having fun with his lads, if I did not like the holes then I could fill them in myself. I asked him if he was intending to wander over and dig up the cricket pitches too and he said probably! The guy is an ass, nothing I said sunk in.

So I headed off saying that I would have to call the council and report the damage so that I don't get the blame. That started a torrent of abuse, I just walked to the car, he must live close to the park as there were no other cars in the car park so I could not take down his plate number.

I went back to the shops and dropped in on the Geographic store, sure enough they have two types of detectors on sale but this is the one he had. http://shop.australiangeographic.com.au/Adult-Metal-Detector-P1973.aspx
A quality unit for sure with a great depth of 1-2"?

"The Prospector 200 Metal Detector has an auto calibration system that delivers precision results without the need for manual tuning, settings or confusing adjustments. The search coil is water resistant for use in wet or muddy conditions and does not have be moving, making pin pointing targets easy.The adjustable speaker and headphone volume makes it easy to hear when you have found something. And with the comfortable foam wrapped, non-slip handle you will be able to hunt for treasure in comfort. "

I dropped by the park today, the grass is drying out and the holes, while noticeable to me would probably go unnoticed to the average citizen. I think I will give the place a miss for a while.

BTW the OZ Geographic store I visited on Saturday said they had sold out of their metal detectors!

T

You did the right thing, hank

What a strange looking detector!! I've been in your shoes before and suffered the same abuse. Take heart in the fact that he will soon give up detecting if all he is digging is trash!! I just feel bad for the example he is setting for his kids!!

My diagnosis is DDH syndrome. (Doo-Doo-Head).
He makes it hard for the rest of us and the worst thing is he's teaching his kids bad habits.

Most of the time I don't even dig a hole.. I use the probe pop method..
But even when digging a hole, I always try to leave it looking as close
to what it was before I got there, as I can.
Popping stuff with the probe causes less turf damage in general, and I
always try to do that if possible. Only big, or really deep stuff might I dig
a hole. Popping them up causes almost no damage at all if done right.
You basically erupt the soil like a mini earthquake, and then just tamp it
back down. Most of the time the grass and roots stay as they were.
When I dig holes, they are usually more prone to brownouts than just popping
them up.

Sometimes you just can't fix "stupid" ... Sounds like he will give it up eventually when he gets tired of digging junk.