Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Do you find more with metered or Tesoro detectors?

For those of you with multiple brands of detectors do you find that you may find more or make quicker decisions on targets with the digital metered units or the simple dial operation of most Tesoro units? Though I've never used a digital read out unit, I suspect it would hinder me with all the bang whiz features that take your attention away from listening to tones. Just my limited guess. When I look at the Garrett catalog vs Tesoro catalog its night and day in difference. I can see where Garrett detectors can really be popular with the ever increasing A.D.D. folks that live on their facebook, computers, smartphone, xbox etc. A lot going on operating those units compared to most of the Tesoros. Its like a Las Vegas gambling machine. So do the Las Vegas gambling detectors find you more or are spending more time interpreting them compared to your tesoro? I just want to know if I'm missing out on the digital read out units as the 0-99 conductive scale that some have does seem interesting. Thanks

Having a detector with a meter or not having a meter does not make you find anymore,it also makes no odds how much you pay for a detector or what brand you use,its the skill of the operator of the detector that makes all the differance and that is the bottom line.

You can have a novice with the latest bells and gizmo's detector and costing $1000s but also you can have a old timer with a 20 year old machine that is held together with duct tape etc and he could find many times more finds because of his experiance and he fully understands what his machine is telling him.

Meters are just a extra aid,you dont have too have them but its nice and can come in handy sometimes with the additional imformation that they can give you,but what i am saying is you can give a experianced detectorist a machine with a meter and once setup you could cover the meter with tape and he could still find nice finds.

Bottom line a detector is just a lump of plastic with some electronics inside it does not find coins or artifacts by itself it needs someone to operate it and the more skill the operator has under his belt,usually his finds increase pro rata.

In my experience (what else do I have?) I have found more with non-metered machines because they force me to dig more targets.

You dig more targets and you find more stuff, trash and treasure.

The target information displays can be (and often are) misleading for a number of reasons (e.g., cannot get a solid fix on the target because it is at an angle, soil mineralization, target beyond the detector's id capabilities, etc.).

TID's tend to make us dig less, not more, because we rely on the information too exclusively.

How many targets have been bypassed because the signal was good but the TID was jumpy? Lots and lots.

Some hunters are disciplined and do not rely on the TID too heavily. Most of us are not that disciplined. Especially when we start getting tired.

I used a metered machine ten+ years ago when I started. It was a Garrett GTAX500. I found some serious coinage with this detector. I sold it and took a break because my fishing boat sat and sat while I was detecting. Two years ago I came back and went with Tesoro's. Having never been able to compare the meter to the present Tesoro's I can't say for sure. I do really good with the batch of Tesoro's I have. I did really good with the Garrett also though. As stated above, the bottom line is the skill of the detectorist with his detector. Not only that though, you have to get the coil over a valuable target to make a valuable recovery.

Now that being said, the next two detectors I bought were Tesoro's with no displays. I was so successful after a short learning curve with the first one, I bought more. The reasoning for that was why mess with what is working well for you. I have no regrets. My next detector will be a Tesoro. Probably the one after that and even the one after that one!

go to EVERY forum on this site and go back about 3 pages on each and look at the finds......that'll give you a very good idea of what different machine(s) excell at.

The info above was some of the best advice I've ever got off this forum.....jmo

I have both non-metered machines and machines with meters....Which ones find more....impossible for me to say, even though I keep records of everything I find with every machine I have, to try to compare results, I beleive, is impossible....the recorded results I have tell me what machine(s) I was using on a particular day, what coins and other items of interest/value I found and where I was detecting. What the records dont tell me include such things as: How was I feeling on that day; How tired was I before I started, and how tired was I when I finished; what were my levels of concentration on that day; what were the ground conditions like; who had been hunting there just before me; how thrashed/unthrashed was the area I was detecting before I came along; what are the soil conditions in that area eg. was the soil bone dry, damp or wet. how mineralised is the soil; how much time did I actually spend detecting, as distinct from talking to other people; how much trash did I dig (indicating my level of willingness to dig all targets which I thought might be worth digging); what levels of discrimination did I have a) set on my machine and b) set in my mind.

Other factors are involved in the results a detectorist may obtain with a detector. These include: Knowing your own strengths and weakness; knowing your detector's strengths and weaknesses. Knowing your detector's abaility to handle the soil conditions where you are detecting; knowing how to set up your detector to obtain maximum efficiency; and what targets (size, depth, quantity and quality) are actually buried in the location being detected.

I think Mega B summed things up pretty well.

I have the best of both worlds with the Deleon. Great Tesoro audio, and a simple meter as a second opinion. No time wasted with menus and settings. It's a pleasure to use and puts a smile on my face. As for more finds, definitely. I don't even use my Tejon anymore, although I would if I wasn't coin hunting.

that's because we didn't have visual display when I got started in this great sport. Matter-of-fact, we didn't have Discrimination or Ground Balance or Tone ID or Auto-Tune. Several different batteries were used that are not available today, or they are expensive and very difficult to find, plus they were large and heavy. They were necessary to help power-up the vacuum tubes in some of the models I used.

Another expense was sending a detector in to a factory to get the search coil waterproofed, if desired and if they did it. Even the red, wooden search coils. Many search coils fastened to a rod with a couple of nuts and you couldn't change the coil angle, and the rods didn't adjust to different lengths. No 'S' rods and comfortable designs, just some awkward and clumsy, heavy contraptions to search with.

To my benefit, the primary trash encountered at most parks and schools, parking strips, hiking trails, vacant lots and other urban locations were iron nails, bottle caps, women's hair pins, and foil. Small foil from gum wrappers and bigger foil from discarded cigarette packets. There were a few other occasional ferrous based junk encounters, and a lot of smaller non-coin finds that were always enlightening to find, such as lead soldiers and Indians, toy cars, and many things often found then, but seldom located today in typical coin hunting locations, such as roller skate keys, bottle openers, and old Cracker Jack toys that were interesting and not the cheap worthless stuff we've seen for decades now. We used to find many more keys and key rings, including 'skeleton' keys.

'Depth' wasn't such a frequent discussion because we didn't really need it, with most targets being found in the surface to 2" or maybe 3" range. Earlier detectors didn't go very deep, and there wasn't much need to because the bounty of coins and other neat 'keepers' where all just waiting to be found without all the clutter we encounter today. Nope, no need, back then, as visual TID and VDI numeric read-outs weren't around. From March of '65 to the summer of '68 I used home-built BFO, then went to factory produced BFO and TR detectors.

As time progressed I moved up to the models with Discrimination, then the VLF/TR-Disc. models, but about the time I started to concentrate more on old homesteads, stage stops and ghost towns, along comes the Tesoro Inca in mid-'83. That slow-sweep/quick-response performance instantly satisfied my needs for having a very workable detector for the iron infested old sites I hunted as well as urban renovation, demo sites, vacant lots, and so forth. I was so impressed I started selling Tesoro's right away and continued until late 2004. I promoted Tesoro's to a lot of folks who had gone with early Target ID detectors for one simple reason: They worked well and didn't need to brisk sweep speed those early models did.

I added a TID to my arsenal for limited use for urban Coin Hunting in the early '90s, and went with an XLT in '94 .... but it was only part of my personal detector battery to complement my non-display Tesoro's. In '94 I also added a non-display White's Classic, and as time progressed I also moved up to some of the better performing models that happened to have visual displays. They performed well, even without the TID and VDI info, and I considered the added features simply a bonus. But that was still twenty years ago.

In the 'hey day' coins were plentiful in the bigger, populated towns, and the latter '60s through the '70s, when better years produced 120K to 130K, and when I was working more overtime and had to limit my detecting I was pulling 60K to 70K a year. Although coin recoveries started declining by about '80 or so, and by then I was also encountering more and more modern trash, such as pull tabs, I was still using non-display detectors the most as I shifted more of my attention away from urban Coin Hunting to concentrating on older sites.

Yes, I found more coins and good stuff using Tesoro's and other non-display detectors, but that was because there used to be a lot more out there to find and less modern, higher-conductive trash. A glance at my personal-carry detectors below tells it like it is. From an old and simple straight TR to a current high-performance detector with a TID and VDI display, including a non-display yet versatile Tesoro Bandido II µMAX, they all have their place. Non-GB to preset GB, to Manual GB to fast automated Ground Balance, yet they are all alike in one way. They are metal detectors.

Different features and performance, but they can be used to find metal and that's what I am after. Beyond that it is a matter of operator skill and knowledge of the detector, the search coil choices used, and the site selection because 'location' is the big key. I hunt basically the same way I have always hunted, and that is to rely on the audio response foremost. I use discrimination, but no more than barely enough to reject iron nails, and sometimes even less. I don't use Notch Disc. to be selective, and I don't "thumb the Discrimination control" either.

I just hunt the good old way by listening, but I do reference the visual display information to help classify some potential ferrous trash, and mainly to get an idea of what it is I am about to recover.

One thing I have always promoted, before I went to TID/VDI models and since, for success you should use little Discrimination and follow the "Beep-DIG!" approach to success.

If a person relies too heavily on a detector's visual display, or if they use too much Discrimination or don't go after the 'iffy' signals, then it doesn't matter if a detector has a display or not, their overall success will be diminished.

Monte