Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Do you scuba and detect?

mudpuppy said:
Scubadee...you gotta show us some pics of this years finds brother! I'd sure like to read the story of your 6 gold,20 silver day..you using your boat, or the canoe? We are sanded in to be danged over here on the West, so a guy needs to see something...:sadwalk:
Mud

Walking in from shore. My boat is being repaired with a new motor. I will start a thread tonight with this years finds so far. Just been pretty busy. I have found some pretty good spots and intend on finding others!!

scubadetector, you have an awesome site. I really enjoyed reading your tips and returns stories. That is a great photo gallery also. Thanks for sharing.

You had better think long and hard about making the switch from wading to dive/detecting. Wade detecting is an absolute pleasure as a hobby. Dive detecting is work, pure and simple, and not for the faint of heart. It's worth it to me when I am pinpoint diving hunting a very small, target rich environment. You had better be in great shape because while it looks wonderful down there in Virgin territory, it took a lot of work and effort to get there. Kudo's to the ones that can go down and stay 30 minutes in zero vis conditions.

I scuba detect when I get the chance, but so far I have had pretty dismal results. I think the lakes I have hunted have had periods when they were lowered in the past because they just did not have much out in the swimming zone of the beaches. Only thing that makes sense is that land hunters have had a go at the deeper spots.

I do not think diving and detecting is a lot of work. I think it is also very rewarding. EVERYONE has his or her own opinion on it and that is ok. I have not dove yet this year but I will soon.

It is fun, rewarding and peaceful. Sure it takes more effort, but when you find as much as I do I don't really mind at all

I know it has been a while but I have an update for this topic. I DID IT! I got my certification and went out SCUBA detecting yesterday. Did two dives each just short of an hour at a whopping 3 - 18 feet fresh water. Found a junk ear ring, a clad dime and enough pull tabs to make a new F-150 and some iron wire twisted together. I was using my Infinium LS with the 8" mono coil. I found that trying to pinpoint exact location was really hard. Almost wish I had a 4" coil. I have GG Amphibians and they were not really loud enough for me. Will go back to the Garrett blue headphones for SCUBA and the GGAs for surf/beach hunting. I was at a swimming hole at a lake so there was no current to carry silt away when fanning for a target which made visibility 0. It was awsome, can't wait to get back in the water and do it again!

I have been thinking about this lately. I live at the beach (wilmington nc) so there are tons of places to go. I believe the university here offers an inexpensive scuba course. Assuming I did the course...what do you need to scuba? A boat? the gear? Multiple people as you probably cant go alone? Seems expensive and time consuming but maybe I am wrong. Can you just breath through a tube to the top? I did that in hawaii which is why I ask.

Unless you rent, the initial purchase can be expensive but, treasure hunting and scuba mixed, fantastic.

Harrowing stories I have none, the name of this game is dive and have fun!! I do mostly diving and find it both relaxing and enjoyable. Visibility is the biggest problem I encounter, most often "0" visibility... trying to detect and recover a target in zero visibility takes time, skill, and mostly effort. I made my own all plastic white scoop out of 4" PVC, made my own handle of PVC and used plastic bolts and nuts so there is no metal. I have learned to lay my detector on its side with the coil facing my intended target, while using my all plastic scoop I can tell when the target is in the scoop as it passes my search coil. If I am not sure I will swipe my scoop over my search coil and listen for a signal. As far as equipment: Minelab Excal and CTX, diving equipment varies depending on time of year, depth, water clarity etc.

You posed a good series of questions...

H20 Guy

So far this year in fresh water, I have pulled out 29 gold rings, 34 silver ones and 2 gold chains and one gold earring. BOTH the gold chains were eyeball finds while fanning for another target. A first for me 3 days ago was an outboard motor. I have more boat anchors than I know what to do with and over 40 silver coins. Last month was just shy of 2300.00 in gold.

I have pulled up more boat anchors than I know what to do with. My largest one is a huge plow anchor with 160' of chain on it.

I also found my 5th WW1 practice bomb along with the outboard. For those that haven't seen them they look like this:

Again VERY rewarding and fun IF you think outside the box and DON'T just go to the beaches everyone seems to hit wading.

Congratulations! Nice finds. I haven't did any diving in a while, I really miss it but can't dive unless I bought another dry suit. Health problems limit me from using my wet suit. I used to hunt the deeper water just over head deep at the beach at low tide and the swimming area's at the local lakes. I don't have the Sea Hunter in my arsenal no longer but the CTX would do since I hunted within its limit. When I first got my c-card in 83' I hunted the most, I loved hunting the Florida springs, Key Largo was one of the most fun.

I purchased a Hookah for my Christmas present in 2012 so for 2013 I had a lot of fun using it and was pretty successful with 22 platinum rings, 16 10K rings/bracelet, 45 14K rings/necklace/earrings, 11 18K rings, 2 22k rings... I love my hookah but the only thing I don't like about it is that ignorant people swim out the hookah and hang on it even though I have a "keep off, divers air supply". most of the time it is the Japanese tourist so what i will do is touch the bottom of there feet with the coil and they usually freak out because they don't know what it is. That usually make me laugh to see how fast they swim off. My buddy use to use scuba tanks as he was a scuba diver before he became a treasure hunter but he never found any gold or anything really deep with his Infinium but every time he used my hookah he always found gold and when he would go back to using his scuba gear he would not find gold. He doesn't believe that it was coincidence but was positive that his tank interfered with his detector... Here is a video of 3/4 of my finds for 2013 using my hookah https://youtu.be/s4b8yqdByL4

Very impressive scuba detector! I have been doing research and recon work by boat and truck to 15-20 freshwater areas within 2 hours of me. I have had all my gear with me but find that too many people can "spill the beans" so I've decided to wait until fall and winter to actually do my actual recoveries. Standby for gold in hand! I'm tired of driving 2 hours one way to saltwater beaches that are hit by 25 other people daily only to come home with a handful of clad.

dobbratacus said:
Sounds like Hawaii or Guam. I'd bet Hawaii. Nice haul.

You would be a LOT closer if you thought Detroit MI. BUT I would NEVER metal detect in Detroit. Just the water around it.