Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Do you think more gold coins would be dug,,,

Hi blee-ohio . Good questions. And in each case, after digging them , I asked myself those very questions: Was it a TID consistent with whatever the TID is in air tests ? Versus skewed d/t depth, angle, co-located targets, etc....

And the answer is this: Since they come so-few and far between (15 in 40+ yrs. of md'ing), then it's simply too infrequent to develop mental patterns And any attempt to review the TID it had given IN ARREARS, is always "too little too late" I suppose. Because you'd simply be subject to "memory bias". Here's what I mean by that:

Every time you and I stop to dig a target, we subconsciously think to ourselves: "This one sounds different" (or "this one has a $10 or a $5 TID, etc....). Then when it turns out to be junk, or a bullet shell, or a tab, then we think to ourselves: yeah, come to think of it, it *did* sound sort of junky. But ONLY when the object turns out to be a keeper (gold coin, gold ring, etc...) only THEN do we remember our premonitions and think "aha! I knew it!". When truth be told, that's just selective memory trick at play.

I will say this: The last one I got was a $10. About 6 months ago. And in the area I got that, we were getting a lot of .32 cal. casing bullet shells. And I distinctly recall, as I got ready to dig the $10, I was thinking to myself that it was about to be another of of those copper casings. Because they read about zinc or so, just like a $10. As to whether or not it reads "slightly to the left" or "slightly to the right" (if using the Explorer 3d axis), I would say, sure....... there's probably a tonal or TID difference. THE PROBLEM THOUGH IS: That *so too* is there a slight difference between every single junk objects. Even no two .32 cal. will probably read *exactly* the same either. Depending on tilt, depth, proximity to other targets. etc....

If anyone tries to tell you that gold coins or gold rings "sound different", they are merely victims of the selective memory bias trick. And if you follow them around, you'll see that ultimately, they're just running random odds as well.

Thus the trick to gold coins isn't to concentrate on where they read on the TID (other than to pass obvious trash signals if you've got a million signals to choose from). But rather, the trick is: Location location location. If you are in western states, like CA, OR, NV, UT, etc... and in an area where coins from the 1850s to 1880s are showing up, then you have a fighting chance. Especially traveler stopping spots like emigrant camp spots, stage stops, etc....

Howdy--

There is a lot of good information in this thread on where to find gold coins. Thanks to all that provided that info!

Gold coins can VDI pretty much any where. Although, the following is NOT from a test garden they are the results of air tests using my White's V3i. As Kansas_jayhawks mentioned - most gold coins VDI in the aluminum range. The exceptions are the $1 Gold which hits in the foil / .22 Long Rifle brass range and the $20 Gold hits in the dime - wheat cent range. And one ounce gold bullion hits in the half dollar range.

$1 Gold (Types 1,2 & 3) VDI......14-16......Dominant Frequency.....22.5 KHz
$2.5 Gold (Lib & Ind) VDI......33-35......Dominant Frequency......7.5 KHz
$3 Gold VDI......35-37......Dominant Frequency......7.5 KHz
$5 Gold (Lib & Ind) VDI......49-50......Dominant Frequency......7.5 KHz
$10 Gold (Lib & Ind) VDI......54-58......Dominant Frequency......7.5 KHz
$20 Gold (Lib & St. G) VDI......74-75......Dominant Frequency......2.5 KHz
$50 Gold Buffalo VDI......87-89.....Dominant Frequency.......2.5 KHz

Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

I would think trying to figure an exact VDI for gold coins in the ground would be futile.

A U.S. gold coin would almost have to be, by definition, in the ground for a long time. Coins that are deep and in the ground a long time usually do not ID the same in the ground as they do later on when you are test them minus the ground matrix.

According to Tom D, the US gold coins that typically circulated (smaller than $10) typically do not hit in high tone/coin range on most detectors. The cz-3d and F75 are two examples of detectors that have modes that bring the workhorse $2.50 and $5 gold pieces into high range. The downside being you also bring tabs and some other trash targets into the high tone range.

marcomo said:
....A U.S. gold coin would almost have to be, by definition, in the ground for a long time. Coins that are deep and in the ground a long time usually do not ID the same in the ground as they do later ...

Well, I'll be the devil's advocate here: Of all the compositions of coins and tokens (zinc, copper, nickel, silver, aluminum, gold, etc....) Gold would be the LEAST likely to "skew" d/t any subtle deterioration. Because, just like gold rings, they come out of the ground just as shiny as the day they were lost. Versus other metals which skew slightly when growing a patina or corrosion, etc...

BUT if you meant the ground minerals BETWEEN the coil to the coin, then yes. Sure. For ALL objects: the further it is from coil going-through-ground, the more the skew will be. No matter what metal. Thus in that sense, yes: you could only expect to get a text-book ID at 2 or 3" depth or less, with zero targets surrounding it, and assuming flat, etc...

Tom, I was referring to the ground matrix around the gold coin which can be skewed by more than just metallic deterioration of the coin.

The stability of gold hits me whenever I dig a potential gold item. The longer I look at it with no evidence of deterioration, the more stoked I get.

I do fairly well on chains. For me the key has been setting the discrimination much lower than most do. I knew there are tons of chains to go with all those pendents we find but wasn't finding any. After lots of testing I found they come in much lower than most people set their discrimination low at. For example most chains come in at 27-28 on the AT Pro.

Some of my chains from dirt fishing.

somechains.jpg