Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dock Rake, Dredge, Scoop home made

Black Davy

After looking around and seeing what was out there, really nothing! I made one myself but you could modify a shell rake easily enough. I used two french fry baskets, stainless steel and aluminum shafts. The shafts are 10' in length and one is 4'-6" they are threaded on both ends and I have threaded couplers to join lenghts. The baskets were butt welded and the botoom cut out for the scoop opening, the teeth is a solid piece cut into a teeth set up. The basket is 15" wide 6" high and 10 1/2" deep. I was concerned that the depth might be too much but after dragging it is not. I dont really have much in the way of photos putting it together.

So I gather you just took a chance and raked the bottom and found the ring. Hey who needs a metal detector! Nice rig.

I have a location that something like this would be great at. I won't get there til next year; but some Black Hills gold is at the bottom of the muck, waiting.... The muck is deep enough that you can't detect through it (so far), but a dredge/scoop like that would be great!

I surely hope that when your done on the dock you do not leave those rocks there..
But cool idea

Hi Black Davy, that's a pretty cool looking contraption you came up with there! I like it! Sorta reminds me of the big ideas I used to have in my head as to how I could "rake" this very old swimhole I know of on a creek in the woods.Main problem though was designing something that would not become snagged on a stump , root or some other obstruction. Old feller told me how he and some more kids used dynamite to blow a stump from the middle of the swimhole. Said it almost went out of site and came down in the middle of the old road to town.I can imagine there are plenty of roots and snags still on that bottom.Last time I was there the Cottonmouths had taken over so I pretty much shelved my rake plans. You have the perfect location, All you need is some warm bodies wanting to get cooled off. HH Charlie