Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Documentation

GroundHug

Is a bit lacking

On the quick start no mention of ground balance
Nor instructions on how to

Im sure it will be a great machine but a bit more about it would be nice minelab

You might try reading the manual:
https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/326548/EQUINOX%20600%20800%20Instruction%20Manual%20EN

Obviously much more information (69 pages) than any quick-start guide...and well written, IMHO.

Thank you for the link. It would be great if they included that with the detector but at least we can view and print online

Thanks again!

You're welcome.
I've been pleading with them for years to include a printed manual, but someone high up doesn't realize how important it is. :wacko:
It was (and still is) a big sore point with the CTX.

I guess at least this way, the (online) manual is always up-to-date. :shrug:

Download the file as a PDF file and then print out the pages you might need. Or view the manual off line on a smartphone.

WaterWalker said:
Download the file as a PDF file and then print out the pages you might need.
Yeap that is what I did.:thumbup:

Have to agree it is cheap of Minelab not to include a printed manual. I don't care that it is possible to print out the sheets from the online .pdf file; it just isn't the same as having a printed, bound manual to thumb through.

I think I understand the non-inclusion of the manual. Just think of the cost and time involved in printing/updaing a detailed manual using all of the many languages where Minelab products are sold. I certainly would be reluctant to do that, especially since a wide portion of the world has internet availability and updating is faster. Just my 2 cents.:cool:

oltimer1940 said:
I think I understand the non-inclusion of the manual. Just think of the cost and time involved in printing/updaing a detailed manual using all of the many languages where Minelab products are sold. I certainly would be reluctant to do that, especially since a wide portion of the world has internet availability and updating is faster. Just my 2 cents.:cool:

It's easy and cheaper than ever before in history for a company to typeset and print manuals. Minelab is probably saving something like fifty cents ($0.50), if even that, by not including a manual. In fact, it already does the typesetting for the .pdf online manual; all it would need to do is send the files to its printshop. Maybe I'll do the same thing, but if I do, having a one-off printed and bound is going to cost me a lot more than fifty cents. Irritating.

Who reads a manual anyway? :help: I would rather a charger or waterproof headphones. Another coil?
What if you don't own a computer, how do you register your new detector or read the manual? :confused:
Amazing that we have screen protectors in 17 languages! :surrender:
You have to admit the packaging is pretty darn good. :clapping: let alone the Equinox itself.

Now lets read and play with the detector at home, then hit that worked out area.

Always Curious said:

It's easy and cheaper than ever before in history for a company to typeset and print manuals. Minelab is probably saving something like fifty cents ($0.50), if even that, by not including a manual. In fact, it already does the typesetting for the .pdf online manual; all it would need to do is send the files to its printshop. Maybe I'll do the same thing, but if I do, having a one-off printed and bound is going to cost me a lot more than fifty cents. Irritating.

You are ignoring the realities of the situation. Minelab is an international company with off-shore manufacturing and world-wide distribution. Look at how many screen protectors they included! Now imagine that many full manuals in EVERY box. Not only is that a huge manufacturing cost, it adds to weight, it adds to shipping cost and box size. Not to say anything of the huge amount of waste of everyone throwing away all those extra manuals.

Face it, metal detecting long ago stopped being an American hobby with American manufacturers only selling detectors in America.

Jason in Enid said:
Look at how many screen protectors they included! Now imagine that many full manuals in EVERY box.
Face it, metal detecting long ago stopped being an American hobby with American manufacturers only selling detectors in America.

Did you get quick-start guides in 17 languages, as well?
I only got two.

Two full manuals would add about an ounce and a half...roughly...on good paper stock.
BTW, that's the way most Japanese, Swedish, German, and Swiss high-end camera product (and some watch) manufacturers do it...2 sets of manuals per product.

WaterWalker said:
Or view the manual off line on a smartphone.

My brain doesn't work that way, (with reference manuals). If yours does, I applaud you. :thumbup:
I need to be able to quickly flip through, jump from front to back, and skim...all the while holding my place. (Not to mention making notes in the margins.)

It's a habit/technique I learned over many years when my job depended on finding the information (in reference manuals) I needed in the fastest, most efficient manner possible.
I'm sure I could plod through a pdf on my iPhone, but to me, that would be like running uphill in a bear costume while wearing swim fins!

But that may just be me.
HH,
:)
mike

trojdor said:

My brain doesn't work that way, (with reference manuals). If yours does, I applaud you. :thumbup:
I need to be able to quickly flip through, jump from front to back, and skim...all the while holding my place. (Not to mention making notes in the margins.)

It's a habit/technique I learned over many years when my job depended on finding the information I needed in the fastest, most efficient manner possible.
I'm sure I could plod through a pdf on my iPhone, but to me, that would be like running uphill in a bear costume while wearing swim fins!

But that may just be me.
HH,
mike

ME too! I need to digest it slowly

Spot on, pass the paper. Some things are just easier to do with a quality printed manual. Try working on a complex piece of electronics
like a TV-DVD combo. You can spend half a day navigating on fiche or a PDF for a simple problem. One of the reasons I left the
biz & stuff became disposable.
As far as languages go English covers US, Can, UK, Ind, Aus, NZ & more. Most in Europe & Russia can speak it to. Add Spanish
& french & you got most the world covered.
Who here would NOT buy an EQ if it costs 2% more to include a nice manual ?
HH
Tom
LFOD !

trojdor said:

It's a habit/technique I learned over many years when my job depended on finding the information (in reference manuals) I needed in the fastest, most efficient manner possible.

But that may just be me.
HH,
mike

Sure, I'd pay for the manual; but I think it would only add a dollar to the cost for Minelab, if even that. I can't read manuals on my cell phone, and it's awkward to do it on my computer. I may have Kinkos print out and bind a manual for me, but unfortunately that is sure to cost me a lot more than it would have cost Minelab, since it's a one-off, not to mention my time. Really, really cheap of any company to sell something costing the better part of a thousand dollars without including a manual--I'm sorry, but that's just the truth as I see it.

I got the important operations pages down to 24 of the 69 in the manual. I then printed them out 2 per page front and back. Total of 6 pages 8 1/ X 11 to carry around in the car. They would be useless in the water. If you can't print them at home, have them printed in black and white only, staple and forego the fancy binding and save a couple of bucks for coffee or have two copies printed. The average detectorist more than likely will not need to reference the manual after a couple of months of hard use. Still it is nice to have one.

I understand not printing a manual but they could have at least included a wall charger lol. I mean a lot of users don't even know what 1A or 2A chargers mean. Now I'm fighting my wife for her phone charger it's pretty ridiculous.