Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does adjusting the Infinium's frequency influence depth in different environments?

SteveP(NH)

I recently got a brand new Infinium and have taken it out on one 3 hour hunt so far (hopefully two more this weekend). I am mostly going to be using it to hunt the beaches in New England and in particular the beaches in New Hampshire and north Mass. which have a lot of black sand (well its actually more of a purple color) mixed in with the granite sand at the ocean beaches but in the summer months when the ground isn't frozen will likely take it relic hunting sometimes and less mineralized soils and no salt water.

The machine seems easy enough to use but I do have one question after skimming some Infinium forums and tip sites. Does adjusting the operating frequency affect the depth you are getting in different areas? The video's and manual suggest that it is primarily for avoiding EM interference and don't mention anything about tuning for depth, but I have read some posts claiming that you can tune the machine for better depth if you select the right frequency for the environment you are hunting in.

Does anyone have any experience experimenting with different frequencies?

Changing the frequency does not effect detection depth of the Infinium..
The frequency shift is for EMI cancelling. When adjusting the frequency it only alters by a few cps and is not enough to effect the sensitivity or detection depth.
Adjusting the Disc above 3 will have some effect on gold detection in that small nuggs and gold rings will begin to be ignored resulting in a loss of depth on these item.
The disc control can be used to eliminate the effects of saltwater sand after the ground adjust has been carried out but avoid setting it above 3. The detector will still work fine but above disc 3 but detection depth and sensitivity to gold will be lowered.
Whenever you re ground balance, always reset the disc to zero before GB.
Setting a high threshold volume can sharpen the response to weak signals, which is the opposite to what most metal detectors do when the threshold is set loud......The Finny is different.:beers:

Thanks for the answer - I very seldom use discrimination even on VLF machines. I prefer to use the discriminator between my ears, rather than the one built into machines. The infinium seems quiet enough on the beaches without using any discrim so the only time I touch that knob is to use iron check.

Hi Steve.
Yes the Infinium is good on the salt beaches but it is handy to know that when you may have trouble achieving good GB, that by dialling in a bit of discrim you will often quieten down any remaining noise from salt..
Also by keeping the sweep speed very slow, (1 to 1.5 ft per sec) you will get a better response from small or deep targets