Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does all Metal Mode go deeper?

beachguy777

I just read in one of Charles Garrett's books where he said that you could go a little deeper in All Metal Mode. Well that got my attention, along with some other stuff I've been seeing here on the forum about all metal. Apparently we can possibly separate the trash, or at least see a good target next to a bad one better in all metal. The other probably obvious thing is of course if your running in all metal, you see everything and can make a more "informed decision" on whether to dig it or not. I'm starting to think that this might be the "serious detectors" mode. Just wanted to get your opinion on all this. Marc Trainor.

P.S. I know I'm being a troublemaker, but I'm honestly curious about what you guys think about all this. I'm especially concerned about looking for gold in anything except all metal. I guess I need to learn a whole lot more about the "gold numbers". I've only seen 7 and 18, but I'm sure there's more I havn't seen, plus maybe some other valuable stuff that without knowing the right numbers, we could miss them in discrimination mode.

Not sure if it actually goes deeper but you do hear everything in the ground which seems to help when trying to get coins mixed with the trash. It does take some time getting used to hearing so much noise. I'm usually fried after about 3 hours of hunting. Everything starts sounding the same, not to mention the headache by then.
HH Butch NY.

either, but I do know that using this mode, you're likely to pick up targets that might otherwise be missed due to nulling. So because you 'find' more, this may give the impression that you're going deeper, when in fact, you're not. The detector is just read everything in All Metal, and it's up to us to decide what and what not to dig. Beachguy, you're never a troublemaker! You just ask the questions that some of us may hold back, for fear of asking too much. How else are we going to get the answers?!
Golden:)

I agree Rainy. It just sounded like a sure fire way not to miss anything, but like you say, it's a pain in the butt, or ears, might I add, to run in all metal all the time. Maybe the answer is just "notch out" the truly bad stuff, and dig all the rest. I guess it's always a "crap shoot" no matter where you go, but at least we have the ability now to "dial out" anything we don't want. Of course, that's the big question, because so many good things, including relics, could come in at the same numbers as the bad stuff. Thanks for your take on it, and I was wondering if, or even, (how much) might the all metal mode help you in depth. Maybe not that much? Well, I know I need a lot more experience digging a whole lot more stuff to try and make more informed decisions on what to notch out or not. There can be so many factors involved, it makes it a tough decision. Marc.

Golden, bless your heart. Your a good person, Golden, and I just want you to know that I appreciate it. I As for the All metal thing, boy what a can of worms. Charles Garrett says it goes deeper in that mode, but I think we need to ask a whole bunch of questions: What kind of detector? What kind of soil? What kind of environment, etc, etc. Even if we can't go deeper, the main benifit, I can see of All Metal, is you see everything, and make your own choice, (not the discrimintation mode). On the other hand, like Rainy says, it can drive you nuts listening to all the info your have to deal with. Well, what's a "mother to do". (as they say).:| I guess if your looking for Relics, you'd be taking a heck of a chance on using any type of discrimintation, since a lot of them are iron. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Golden), but if we're on the beach, maybe we could just "dial out" the truly bad stuff and dig all the potentially good targets. Of course the real question here is: What is the really bad stuff and does it conflict with any of the good stuff. Ok, I'm gonna go away and pout somewhere and I'll call you all later. :|Merry Christmas, and love, Marc.:|

Golden and Beachguy, Using the all metal mode is they way to use the Quattro but a couple of months ago I was detecting around some miners cabins in southern Colorado at 11,500ft. The trash was very dense and I was able to pullout a brass valve and a brass key both probably 100/120 years old. After 6 hours of searching this high trash area,the continous sounds put me in a psychedelic like mood. Weird. Two hours later back at camp everything was okay. Next day back at the same place I didn't use the headset(the box speaker was used) during the 6 hours of detecting, guess what no psychedelic brainwashing from the high trash. I suspect the altitude was a major reason for the psychedelic like mood.

being in a psychedilic mood! Maybe it was the altitude West! Or may be you where in a better frame of mind for the All Metal brain hammering sounds! Either way, I know what it's like. I've gone throught it too, till I got use to it. I remember first starting out with the Quattro nearly two years ago, and thought to myself after my first outing with it, "what the hell is all that noise, and what does it mean". I nearly drove me nuts! But not anymore. It's now my friend!
Golden:detecting:

Golden, What I watch for now in high trash areas and the incessant sounds start running together(I stop paying attention to each sound) it is time to curb the enthusiasm and take a break. I met an experienced detectorist(25 years) about a year ago in the field. He had an old machine made by Hayes Electronics that had no descrimination or meter. Early in the use of this machine he tried headsets, but the noise in high trash areas was driving him crazy. So the only thing he changed was to discard the headsets and use the speaker on the box.

Beachguy, I would question more of what is the smallest size of gold that the Quattro could sound off on. From experience here in New Mexico most gold is small and a detector made for gold is the best way to look for gold. However, if you find gold with a Quattro then it will be a nice piece. Do some air testing with small gold pieces to fine out what the minimum size is that can make a sound. My curiosity is up on this now so I will do some testing with the 8" and 5" coil and get back to you.

Wow, what an interesting post. I lived in Colorado for a while and hiked and camped in Estes park one year. What an experience that was. Magnificent country. Maybe it was more enhanced from the altitude. I know that altitude can play heck on anyone not acclimated to it or in your case maybe because you were listening to all those sounds, close up and it just got the best of you. I know it drives me nuts down here at sea level in San Diego, if I'm not careful. That's some pretty interesting finds and it sounds like a real adventure, where you were. It must have been the up-closeness of the headphones, because the next time when you were just using the speaker it apparently was OK. Very interesting. Marc.

That's a very informative post Golden. It sounds like you got over it and now your using it to your advantage. Makes sense to me, and, it makes me think that was once "chaos, or nerve-racking sounds", now are clues or signals as to "what the heck is burried there". It encourgages me to believe that it can start to make enough sense that it doesn't drive you nuts any more, but gets your brain on the track of figuring it all out and using that valuable information. Funny thing how something can make one person nervous, but it actually drives another person to victory or at least a thrilling adventure. I'm sure gonna digest that one for a while and try and do the latter. Thanks, Golden, (You tiger you):| (you know I'm only ribbing you a little here):crazy:

Right on JJ. I've heard the same thing that if you want to find really small nuggets, you need a "gold specific" type detector. I need to get with a guy I know that has some nuggets and test them for the readings. I'll let your and Golden know if I can make that happen. Thanks for the post. Marc.

I don't have enough experience with the Quattro to say, but with my MXT I have recently begun hunting in "Prospecting Mode", which is essentially All Metal, and I have seen a noticeable increase in depth. If I totally ignore the sounds and watch the VDI screen closely, I see signals too weak for the tone ID. These are at the very limits of it's depth capability, but I have found a lot of goodies that I would never have seen before.

Marc

What hurts depth on the quattro is bad ground. In good ground , it's the deepest detector I've ever used. Ten to twelve inches on a coin is no big deal in good ground. In bad ground (red clay), I do good to get half that depth. I think it's iron content and it acts like a shield between the coil and the target.

Right on Gila, I hear ya talkin'. Don't worry, you'll get used to the Quatro, and all it's little trips. I've had my Quatro for over a couple of years now, and I thought I knew it, but I've recently realized that I need to take a very dedicated 2nd look at what it's really saying to me. I know this "bad boy" works, not only from my own experience, but from what I've been reading all along about it on this forum. The thing I'm trying to do now is "really listen" and "look" at the visual and audio signals. I thought there might be something wrong with mine because I was getting tons and tons , alomost non-stop signals, just yesterday at the bay down here where I live, but when I moved over to another area, it was picking out each individual signal. This thing just seems to read everything in it's sight, and try's to tell us what it is. Golden is right. We just need to "listen" to what it's trying to tell us. I know that sounds like something you and I already know, but I just think it's SO TRUE, for the Quatro. The other thing I wanted to say here, in regards to the "outer limits" of depth, is something I read on another forum from another Quatro owner. He said: "If you don't even HEAR, a signal, but when you put it into pinpoint mode, if that little visual thing they have goes up "even a hair's breath", (AS HE PUT IT), YOU'VE GOT SOMETHIG!!!!. Wow!!!!, That's hard work, but, you know, if he's right, this darn thing won't just stop at the audio level, but sends us infor of a target from the visual level as well that may even superseed the audio. What a bitchen detector. I love this thing, and I hope you fall in love with it too. (Look out Explorer II owners, we're comin' to get ya):| Well I'm probably going over board here, but maybe not. The main thing the Explorer has over us as far as I can see is the two numeric readouts, but as far as depth, LOOK OUT.:| Take care and I'll talk to you, at least by the first of the year. Marc.

I hear ya, JHM. I'm depressed to read that, but, from what I've read in the past about that super ironized soil, your probably right. There was an issue with that about a year or so ago, that got everybody taking about that red southern or whatever super iron soil, and one of the guy's dealing with it was almost at a standstill. I't sounded pretty scary, so I better re-write my last post about how deep the Quatro can go, to not include that "trecherous iron soil" that apparently knocks the wind out of even the Quatro. You know what the funny thing is here: I can still use mine in any kind of salt water and super black, mineralized sand, but I guess that red iron soil is a monster. Thanks for the post, but at least you seem to be able to at least detect in it, even though it cuts the depth almost in half. I guess we can't have everything, but something's better than nothing. Marc Trainor.

6 inches is still good in clay. I got 2 other detectors and that's about all they will get. The thing I like is I can still find silver in sites that have been hit hard for years.

Good deal, JHM. I know clay is a "killer" to dig in, but if your finding good stuff it's worth it. Good that you get that kind of depth even compared to your other detectors. Marc.