Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does anybody have a favorite setting for finding Jewelry and coins in trashy parks and playgrounds with G2+?

CalG

I got a new G2+ first of the month and have about 20 hrs hunting time with it. I have found it easy and fun to use. I am using the 11 inch coil, but have used nels sharp shooter on it. Unbelievable the 11 in coil weights 1oz lighter than the nels sharpshooter. Anyway looking at different ideas and settings to run.

If you are after both Coins and good Jewelry, meaning Silver and Gold, just remember that a lot of the lower-conductive jewelry is going to read-out in the Foil to pre-Zinc Cent range. Therefore, I'd run the Tone Break right at the Ferrous / Non-Ferrous break-point. Use the highest Sensitivity / Gain setting possible w/o EMI, and recover ALL of the smaller-size non-ferrous responses.

Remember to overlap a lot, don't sweep too briskly and instead be slow-and-methodical on your coverage. The 11" BiAxial coil is light-weight and can work well for hunting the more open areas. If you have a NEL Sharpshooter DD and like it, that can also make a handy coil for the open to modestly-litters areas. I used to use the Tek. G2 and then the Fisher F-19's (same circuitry as your G2+) and when I attacked the Playgrounds / Tot-Lots I had my 5" DD coil mounted. It worked the best to hunt in and around the metal structures, using a proper coil position and movement, and I found a lot of coins and some decent jewelry. I also lived in a highly populate city and hunted many places that saw a lot of human activity to generate the loss.

Monte

Thanks Monte, I will do just that. I will get a smaller coil before long. I keep a 7 inch cc coil on my kruzer now. Thanks again! Cal

Thanks for the information. I do run into situations that are very trashy that this will help. Sand lots, totlots and some other areas I use zero disc, 40 Vbreak, max gain. I do run disc to 33 if EMI is bad. Semi trashy I run V break 47 up and dig 50 up( high foil). Thanks for the video.

First I would ditch the 11 DD coil in a trashy setting. You have a detector that separates well and the sharpshooter will make it even better. Personally I almost never use v-break, notch or discrimination. I set volume at 10 just because the sound of machine gun iron bugs me really fast. Sometimes I will set volume at 12 just to hear what I am missing without it driving me crazy. I set gain at 100 all the time. On this machine there is never a need to go lower than that as it is super stable at its highest gain settings. Like Monte mentioned, gold can be found in the foil range of course but if you are in a trashy site such as a schoolyard and decide to dig everything above iron, you will be on your knees digging small foil bits all the time. This machine really likes small and sometimes minute low conductive items (stuff that my CoRe or MX7 would totally ignore). For this reason, I rarely dig any target with an ID of 46 or less. Ninety nine percent of the time these will be foil bits and foil paper. You might miss an ear ring or small pendant but that's a choice you will have to make. The smallest ring I have found (a really tiny 10k ring that weighs nothing) has an ID of 48 to give you an idea. A substantial man gold ring will fall in the 60-70 range. Silver rings will usually ID in the mid eighties to low nineties.

On the beach and for modern clad coins, this is my favorite detector.

I intend to use the sharp shooter some more in moderate trashy areas that I hunt, and evaluate it some more. Thanks Mike, I will try some of your settings. HH

I'm hearing only good things from the sharpshooter coil. I have the 5 X 8 MGC and just got the Cors Shrew (NEL Snake). I have not tried it yet in a trashy park setting but will very soon.

First I would ditch the 11 DD coil in a trashy setting. You have a detector that separates well and the sharpshooter will make it even better. Personally I almost never use v-break, notch or discrimination. I set volume at 10 just because the sound of machine gun iron bugs me really fast. Sometimes I will set volume at 12 just to hear what I am missing without it driving me crazy. I set gain at 100 all the time. On this machine there is never a need to go lower than that as it is super stable at its highest gain settings. Like Monte mentioned, gold can be found in the foil range of course but if you are in a trashy site such as a schoolyard and decide to dig everything above iron, you will be on your knees digging small foil bits all the time. This machine really likes small and sometimes minute low conductive items (stuff that my CoRe or MX7 would totally ignore). For this reason, I rarely dig any target with an ID of 46 or less. Ninety nine percent of the time these will be foil bits and foil paper. You might miss an ear ring or small pendant but that's a choice you will have to make. The smallest ring I have found (a really tiny 10k ring that weighs nothing) has an ID of 48 to give you an idea. A substantial man gold ring will fall in the 60-70 range. Silver rings will usually ID in the mid eighties to low nineties.

On the beach and for modern clad coins, this is my favorite detector.
Great information--I tested a small 14K earring on my new F19. It showed a 48 and on the 11 inch coil, I had to put it right on the coil for it to read. I know a smaller coil would be better to pick up smaller targets.

The rings I have tested are the following; 14k 1.8 gram 48, 18k 2.8 gram white gold 48, 14k 2.1 pendant 46, 14k small chain and pendant 4.3 gram 43, 14k/925 4.4 gram 80, 14k 5.1 gram ring 60 and a 8.6 14k ring 71. These were air tested with my new G2+ using the stock 7x11 coil. Ground balance was set at 64 which is typical for my soil . Settings were gain 100, 0 disc, volume 12, V break 40, no notches. They all rang good except for small chain and pendant which ID ok but was a muffed sound that could be easily could be missed. I think the 7x11 has potential in low to moderate trash in open parks ,sports fields and such, HH