Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does anyone have any feed back on a Fisher F-4

C.J.M.

Appreciate any feedback on a Fisher F-4 and what size coil will work best:)Thank you cjm45

It is a glorified F2.
It has an all metal setting and it does have GB but only in all metal which I don't believe many ever used.
In disc the GB is at the same factory preset levels as the F2 despite what people were led to believe...often by several reps at Fisher that spread this misinformation for years.
Not worth the extra $200 for two features that hardly were ever used vs the F2 but discontinued now so no longer an issue and used ones are usually now sold for a much more fair and logical price.

Sorry about the rant but this was a big misstep in Fishers history in my opinion, a company I usually respect, it only was offered to fill a price gap between the F2 and the F5, IMO.
If only they charged less they wouldn't have come off looking so greedy.
They were so disorganized they never informed the reps about the GB thing or worse, even after repeated queries from owners of soon to be owners, they directed the reps to lie about it...I sincerely hope it was the former, not the latter.
Being in retail for almost 30 years when companies do things like this it just sticks in my craw, but they seemed to have behaved themselves since.

Be that as it may to answer your question on the F2 the 4" silly looking hockey puck concentric found me more silver and a shocking amount of gold than any other coil in the most trashiest sites imagined.
The 8" concentric was a good all around, could get to about 7-8" in decent soil and still had very good target separation.
The 10" concentric was dirt cheap at $ 59, heavier and pretty unwieldy unless you just scraped it along the top of the soil but you could gain maybe 2 more inches than the 8" in good soil conditions...I found its best use was to firm up and stabilize signals on the deeper ones and fringe targets.
Many reported that they bought large aftermarket DD coils for both the F2 and the F4 and got to the 10" level and a few up the the 12" or more area if they had the right dirt to accomplish this.
I never saw the sense in spending $200 on a coil for an entry level detector instead of putting that money toward a more powerful upgraded detector but many did and they said they found good coin targets fairly deep so they seemed happy with the purchase.
Others bought those bigger expensive coils and gained nothing so they eventually upgraded their detector.

What coil is best, for me it was the sniper but it all depends on what you hunt, where you hunt and how deep the targets were you are looking for...as always.

Last edited:
Thank you that was outstanding feedback and I think I will keep my F-5 ,saw a F-4 with three coils and it caught my eye but at $230 plus shipping hmmmm will pass it on to someone else.Thank you --cjm45

Thank you that was outstanding feedback and I think I will keep my F-5 ,saw a F-4 with three coils and it caught my eye but at $230 plus shipping hmmmm will pass it on to someone else.Thank you --cjm45

I have the F2 and now I have the F5...light years in difference in features and performance and you won't find anybody out there that is a bigger fan of the F2 than me.
If the coils are all concentrics that was the same 3 coil deal they offered for like $279 so only $40 less than new...with no warranty.
Ok for someone just starting out and has nothing but still not great, in my opinion.
Especially when you can get a basic model Vanquish or Simplex for $200-$250 or better deals on this thing or good prices on other very good, gently used, entry level models.
I read somewhere on a forum somebody picked up a nice used F4 for $150 or under once so...

Use some of that cash and add any coils you think you may need to the F5 that might help you...a much better value for your money.

Last edited: