Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

does anyone have the instructions to super tune a compadre

Tajue17

I had them on my PC but lost them, was it adjust the box on left or right for sensitivity I need to turn mine down.

Following is a thread where I was playing with the Compadre. Click on the picture in the thread to make it bigger and find where the potentiometers are labeled 1, 2 and 3 in red numbers over white boxes edited into the picture.

#1 is the sensitivity pot on this version of the circuit card. If your circuit card doesn't look like this, then put up a picture and we will see if anyone else can identify it.

If I recall correctly, clockwise decreases sensitivity and counter clockwise increases it. If not, you will find out quickly by trying it.

You may be able to read component numbers on the circuit card itself. If so, Mr, Bill and Keith Southern both mention that the sensitivity is VR 4. Per discussion in the thread, that appears to be true for other versions of the board than the one shown in the picture; although I can't guarantee it.

https://www.findmall.com/read.php?22,875409,875409#msg-875409

Good luck.
tvr

A couple of boards that were in the Compadre.
If I remember correctly left is increasing the sense up and right is down but don't quote me.
Be very careful, ground yourself because static electricity can cause havoc, many use plastic screwdrivers if they have them and you don't need to move those screws much to affect it.
The disc and GB pots...most stay far away from those because any of these can screw up your detector badly but those two especially.

After I started using Tesoro's back in July of '83, I evaluated the different adjustment functions and started to 'Hyper-Tune' many of them depending upon the type of site I was hunting and the typical target depth at those sites. For years I used and instructed 'Hyper-Tuning' and then along the way Tesoro publications started talking about 'Super-Tuning' which is the same thing.

'Hyper-Tuning' or 'Super-Tuning' is NOT associated with the Sensitivity control. It is the act of increasing the Threshold setting on those models that offer a Threshold adjustment for use with a true All Metal mode or All Metal Pinpoint mode ... and the purpose is to enhance the audio response from weaker and/or deeper targets located when using the silent-search motion Discriminate mode.

It can be done to models that feature an internal Threshold trimmer, but that is a serious drawback because you wouldn't have easy on-the-fly adjustment to set it as needed should you want to search in the Threshold-based All Metal mode. As a rule, 'Super-Tuning' doesn't always work that well with a Threshold level increased to the maximum setting. Instead, just enough to help boost the audio response on received signals. Too much adjustment can, at times, cause noisy operation. Also, when someone 'Super-Tunes' a model, such as a Bandido or Pantera or Outlaw, etc., they may get a little enhancement in audio on some weaker or deeper targets while in the Discriminate mode, but it can also be a challenge at times to operate in the true All Metal mode because the Threshold level is too high to the point of being non-functional.

If you find your Compadre to be too Sensitive, that is a completely different thing than being 'Super-Tuned. It is simply a matter of operating with the Sensitivity turned too high, which is an adjustment feature intentionally internal on that model, and usually set below a peak setting simply because the operator doesn't have ready control of it. That's one of the nice moves they made when the brought out the Mojave which, in my opinion, is a superior low-end model.

Monte