Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does anyone here know if you can MD in Aruba?

Jim Robertson

Planning a trip their early next year. Also do you know if there is any problem taking the Equinoz detector?

I have been there several times, with no problems. Aruba is united under the Kingdom of the Netherlands and do not seem to follow the restriction on taking detectors onto their island of others like Jamaica, even thou Jamaica gained full independence in 1962. Enjoy and HH!

Question: When you say you md'd there "no problems", is that from an experiential standpoint ? Ie.: You went, did it, and no one cared less ?

Or is it because you specifically went and asked various embassy consulates, legal beavers, govt. officials, or ... whomever, and got a "yes you may" from them ?

If it's just from an experiential standpoint, then to me, that's the gold standard , IMO. Ie.: if no one cares, then ..... by golly ... no one cares. But oddly, there's md'rs to whom that's not good enough. They want someone in authority to give them an express "yes you can" . So they go asking hither & yonder up and down the bureaucratic chain . Till their "pressing question" lands on someone's desk who decides "no". :rolleyes:

I first went to Aruba with others that had been there before. I never questioned them as some have been detecting there since the 1980's with no problems.
Same with going to Jamaica, until my trip in September when my equipment was detained until two hours before my departure from the island. Since then I have done more inquiries, like you are, that will not stir up a hornets nest on the places I plan to visit with a detector. Lands of the British Realm are at the top of my list of places not to take my detecting equipment. I still would visit them and enjoy everything they had to offer.

FedEx has listed Aruba's list of Restricted / banned items at: https://crossborder.fedex.com/us/assets/prohibited-restricted/aruba/index.shtml
Even though Metal Detectors are not listed, there "may" be other restrictions on their use in Aruba.

Likewise Jamaica's listing can be found at a link on their site at: list of restricted or banned items to import into Jamaica - Metal Detectors are listed here!

WaterWalker said:
..... I still would visit them and enjoy everything they had to offer...

I would Never support a place (3rd world or here at home) with my vacation dollars if they followed stupid policies like Jamaica has. There's too many other NICER places in the Caribbean to visit- its beyond me why anyone visits that $ hole of a country anyway. Well except to get stoned, but now you can do that in the US if you are so inclined.

There are no problems metal detecting the beaches in Aruba. Been there multiple times. It's going to be a quiet hunt though! I don't know if it s super deep sand or lots of hunting locals but I have never found much there. One silver toe ring and one gold ring that was almost certainly a fresh drop. Almost no trash, very little coins or jewelry and have never seen another detectorist, even though I'm sure they are there.