Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does anyone hunt with an X5 as their main detector?

Neil

If so which coil do you use the most and do you manually GB or use the fixed setting?

I bought a brand new Troy X5 about 10 years ago here in the UK,used it for a year with many hours on the clock and must admit just could not 'Gel' with the detector,its the only machine that i have ever sold and if i am honest i detested it,it just loved iron,must admit the only thing that i did like about it was the Fisher build quality.

When i bought mine i also bought the 10x6 coil and of course the stock 9'' coil,the 7'' one was the one that i really was after but just could not locate one,the 10x6 coil was on the detector almost all the time i used it,someone offered me a stupid high price for it and i jumped at the opportunity and dont think if i recall i lost any money when i sold it,which is very unusual as often detectors loose a massive amount,but because very few people owned them the price stood up very well for me.

At the time i fell for all the 'hype' of how good these detectors are depth wise etc,but how ever hard i tried to master it,its down fall was its liking for iron and on some of my roman/saxon sites they can have alot of iron,so sold it.

From my limited time with the X5 i liked the 10x6 coil the best,of course other may suggest differently and also say that the X5 is the best thing since sliced bread,alas it was not with me.

I use mine quite a bit. I use the 8" stock coil for the most part. It is a deep machine. I have a 5" coil that is used occasionally. I had a 7" coil too but sold it. I set my discrimination to the point that it just discriminates out the round foil drink tops. This does lesson the depth a little bit but its still deeper than a Vaquero (and I really like the Vaquero). Here in the area of Mississippi that I hunt in its really hard to ground balance it because the soil is so mild with very little mineralization. So I use the preset ground balance when that occurs and seems to work fine.

I really liked the function of the toggle that allows us to id targets in the Nickle range and in in the Zink range. I appreciated it so much that I designed an add on circuit that works on most of the Tesoro's that I use. I call it the 3D or Triple discrimination mode and have posted about it a number of times on the Modification Forum. I will mention that the only Tesoro, and that includes the Troy X2, that my mod did not work on is the current Silver.

Mega thanks for the input. I watch videos from time to time on youtube and it looks like the T2 is a very popular detector for those super old sites you hunt.
Bleaver that toggle is very useful isnt it. I may have seen your modded tesoro at one time or another. Theres been some really great looking detector mods over the years.
I like the 7" and 9" coils....they seperate up well and both get good depth.