Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does anyone know who I can contact about rebuilding one of my GT rechargeable battery packs?

Good question. I had the clips break off one of mine. Better not send it to Minelab. The wanted $55 dollars to fix it (put the battery in another case which is a $5 part). I said forget it and send it back. They said fine it will be $55 (1 hour labor) to send it back. I like their detectors but their customer service sucks. By the way they don't sell parts either.

Try a website called BatterySpace.com or other RC related websites. Hobby City will probably have the cheapest prices for the cells but I don't think they build them. Some of these RC sites will build just about any kind of custom pack you can think of with just about any type of connector you'd need. RC related battery sites also tend to have some of the highest capacity cells on the market at the lowest prices compared to other fields that sell them. The Minelab pack I think either uses 10 Sub As or Sub Cs in series and those are common in RC.

If you just want the cells you can either buy them loose or have them soldered into whatever configuration you need, requiring you to only solder up the two wire leads to the battery holder when you install them. That's a lot easier than soldering cell tabs to build your own pack. While you're there check out their chargers, also much cheaper than what you'll find them for in other fields...like metal detector websites.

I used to solder my own cells but the price of complete packs is so cheap these days at certain sites it isn't worth the hassle. Hate soldering cell tabs. I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing one time soldering up some Sub C's and shorted two cells together. Before I knew it my hand was REAL hot. Those things are like an arc welder. :biggrin:

Have you tried the people that make the excalibur refils that are on ebay, on thier site they sell the same size batteries (but with more mah) that are in the pack if its only the batteries that are dud, if one cell is dud you can buy only one, maybe if you contacted them they might replace the existing ones. They do advertise a custom pack may be made up. If its the housing thats at fault only one place to go, although they come up on ebay now and again
won't post a link for batteries or i might get slapped

In the future you can also try the local hobby shop. Most sell loose cells and will also solder up a pack for you. That's a good thing to remember for anybody out there who doesn't know how to solder but needs a little work done. I've seen people walk in to a local shop with everything and anything under the sun not remotely related to RC that they need fixed.