Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

does anyone make aftermarket coils for the infinium??

Other than Garrett themselves, there is no one else anymore. There used to be three aftermarket coils from "Westco" which were for gold prospecting. Garrett make four aftermarket coils: http://www.garrett.com/hobby/hbby_infinium_searchcoil.htm

What hunting do you do?

its for water hunting..my friend went through two coils already.it seems that the epoxy that fills the coils get very brittle and are subject to cracking and causing coil failure.the machine gets very erratic and uncontrollable.that's for the stock and the 8"coils.--thanks for the info.Ralph

YOu do know that the smaller coils even for the Infinium will not go deeper than 8or9 ft at the most I would say keep them above 6ft deep. that is the 3x5 and the 7x10 the only ones that go deeper to the 200 ft mark at the 11X14 and the 8 inch so that makes it three coils are the one you can take deep.

dray

My 8" coil was worn through within a very short time of use and I was lucky enough to catch it and repair it before it quit working.

I used (Loc-tite) (I think) marine epoxy from Lowes and doped up the cracks enough to seal them and then I coated the entire coil with a rubber-like paint on coating such as is used for coating tool-handles.

The coating has endured lots of abuse with very little wear. I'll add another coating this year to cover the little scuffing that has occurred.

You'll find info about that and other methods in some of the older posts in this forum.

GL&HH,

Cupajo

Ive been detecting for over 30 years and have NEVER had a coil go bad on me....and I dont like to use coil covers.He had two go bad on him in a short period of time.I dont think you or he should have to do repairs on the coil .Thats something that Garrett should be looking into and correcting.Thanks for the info`cupajo`,Ill pass it on.Ralph

Hey Ralph,

I agree the coils should be made better, however most of the water hunting crowd I know have had problems with coils from every brand wearing this way unless they can find or make skid plates (coil covers) of one kind or another or otherwise protect them.

When I am water hunting as I have done about as long as you, I glide (slide) the coil along the surface of the bottom and all its abrasive elements. I've had to repair and or protect every coil I own that has regular use. There are no protective coil covers made for most of them and when they are available they offer their own kinds of problems, such as sand build up and false signals.

Your track record with coils is extraordinary and shows that you are going the extra mile to somehow protect the things or you are very careful how you use them.

My Infinium 8" Mono wore through in about maybe 7 hunts of up to 4 hours each. By wore through, I mean that the outer layer of plastic (on the bottom of the coil) and supposedly epoxy wore through enough that I could see a void inside the coil. I had thought the coil was solid, but found out otherwise. I carefully cleaned and dried what was left of the mono and applied the marine epoxy to fill the gaps and created a thin covering over the bottom of the coil. After it cured a day or so I covered it carefully all over (top and bottom) with the rubberized coating and have been using it ever since the coating cured. At easily a hundred hours now the coating is ready for some touch up otherwise it has been great!

Hard plastics and epoxy are very easily worn by the abrasives they encounter in this kind of hunting and must be protected either by us or at the factory.

Garrett etal. must not view this as a serious problem or they would find a solution. Until they do we must come up with our own solution or start stamp collecting or perhaps needlepoint!

GL&HH,

Cupajo

Hey Cupajo
sometime ago i was hunting on Miami bch, and for my surprise i encounter another hunter using a infinium and he use a Frisbee( i hope i spell this the right way:confused:) for a coil cover on his 8" coil!! i wander is affected his unit but i guess is a good idea !???
i may try this on my infinium cut the plastic to size and attach with tie raps

n/t

When I'm not hunting in the water my coil never touches the hard surface.

When I'm detecting below the water surface there is no way for me to see exactly where the coil is in relation to the bottom, so I protect it as well as I can and gently glide it along the irregular contours of the bottom.

It is getting maximum depth, but scuffing is the result.

Works for me,

Cupajo