Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does anyone recall the BFO made in the VLF range?....

John(H)

I came across this in one of the other threads but it was titled "Does anyone recall the BFO made in Louisianna that worked in the VLF range?" I did some research and this is what I found out. There was a BFO that ran at 10KHZ which is in the VLF range but it was made in New Mexico by BCE, Inc. It was called the model BLF. In the ads it said..."Variable discrimination control, tuning on the end of the handle, excellent ground depth even in pulltab discrimination." I have never seen one except for the old ads in the Treasure magazines. I contacted Carl Moreland who has one of the largest vintage metal detector collections that I know of and he said the same thing. Never seen one just knew of the advertising in the old treasure mags. He made a modified version of this detector and got it running on his work bench and he said that it was not worth making. The depth would be no better than the old Garrett Hunter BFO. I was thinking about getting one made since I really like the old BFO's but on this comment by Carl decided that was a wrong avenue to pursue. Anyway if I want to play with a BFO I can get out my Sidewinder and Hunter. There was a BFO detector made in Louisianna that was called the Selectmatic made by Treasurelectronics and discrimination was done on the meter but was NOT in the VLF range. Not sure what the KHZ range was but most of the BFO's or at least the Garrett's were around 288KHZ. That is all that I know for now. Will post some pics of the ads for the BLF and Selectmatic metal detectors soon.

the Louisiana company is the only one to state they had a BFO in the VLF freq range.
(I recall Charles Garrett stating that had been tried earlier with dismal results...VLF-TR Detector's Handbook?)
Bet you Ty Brook at WET would recall. kenoty@att.net

ECE Inc made the VLF BFO, it was called ECE BLF, and was made in Belen NM. There was no VLF BFO made in Louisiana. The BLF sold for $199.50 postpaid. I have its advertisement.
Melbeta