Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does anyone remember the Eagle 2 sl '90 ?

HaloEffect426

Just curious,
Anyone remember, still have, or used one of these machines from the '90s ?
I had one for a pretty long time and really started finding some great coins etc...unfortunately, I no longer have the eagle but I sure wish I did.
I realize that this is a 26 year old machine but I remember the audio tone I.D. was an awesome feature. This thing had. The notch discriminate brought me two gold rings in the first day i used a modified "user1" program.
Also Some first for me back then were; a 1911s barber half dollar, an 1845 large cent, an 1859 thick IHP. And. A german silver pocket watch. All from a very old park in central Indiana.
There was just something about the audio tone i.d. that really made good targets really stand out. As an Iraqi Freedom veteran, i've quite alot of hearing loss, especially in my right ear.
Anyway, I wondered if anyone has used the Eagle two sl '90 in the past.
although I'm going with a new detector this upcoming year.
HH.
From. HaloEffect426. :)

"I think that Terry Herbert, finder of the Staffordshire Hoard in the UK was using one of these bought at a yard sale when he first located the by now world-famous hoard?"

I bought the 89 SL when they first came out. My first Whites detector. Excellent detector for coins and relics. That detector found some of my best stuff, both relics and coins. A CS tongue and my oldest coin, a 1776 2 reale.

Man, nice finds.. I bet that 1776. 2 reale. brought a smile to your face! I can't remember, did the '89 have the audio tone i.d. also?
I know the eagles were heavier to swing but the fore arm cuff helped balance it out some..

HaloEffect426 said:
Man, nice finds.. I bet that 1776. 2 reale. brought a smile to your face! I can't remember, did the '89 have the audio tone i.d. also?
I know the eagles were heavier to swing but the fore arm cuff helped balance it out some..
Thanks buddy. I think it had 3 different tones you could pick from. It wasn't that heavy to swing either. As for the reale, it did put a smile on my face! Found in a civil war fort at The Bermuda Hundred Campaign, Chester Va.

I still have one and it works as well today as it did in 1990. Mine don't even look bad. I still get it out and use it now and then. I have found some nice things with it.

I bought a SL 90.5 at the end of 1990. Great detector and still one of my all time favorites. I sold it about 1995 but it sure found me a lot of goodies. White's isn't able to do major repairs on them any longer so that's a bummer. I didn't like the Spectrum or the XLT nearly as well but White's made a comeback for me with the DFX. A Lot of folks never took the time to learn the DFX but it wasn't difficult for those of us that took the time to learn the Eagle SL 90. Over the years I eventually had the V3i bought new in 2009 but have since sold it and returned last year to the DFX (currently have three of them).

Tom Slick, i know exactly what you mean......come to thi.k of it. I had a spectrum for a. Year or so and I didn't like it as well either.. I got it at a yard sale for $75.00. But i think. It had some problem with it.... Comparing it to the Eagle.
It just didn't seem to have the depth as the Eagle... DFX. Huh...well I'm Waaay behind on all the models out.there and what all they offer...i'll have to look into that one n check it out.. Thanks for the info... HH. HaloEffect426. :)

Tom Slick, i know exactly what you mean......come to thi.k of it. I had a spectrum for a. Year or so and I didn't like it as well either.. I got it at a yard sale for $75.00. But i think. It had some problem with it.... Comparing it to the Eagle.
It just didn't seem to have the depth as the Eagle... DFX. Huh...well I'm Waaay behind on all the models out.there and what all they offer...i'll have to look into that one n check it out.. Thanks for the info... HH. HaloEffect426. :)

.....p.s. Sorry for the duplicate message......

I was just the opposite. Didn't care much for the sl 90 but the Eagle Spectrum and I clicked and went to coin city.

In fact it was the Eagle Spectrum that opened our city park to a whole new world of coins.

Up until 1991 there were three of us who had hunted the city park with every detector we got and never found as much as a few recent drop wheats. In 1991 I bought a new Eagle Spectrum, my buddy had a Grand Master Hunter and the other a Tesoro Toltec 100. As common practice we took all new detectors to this city park for the first hunt. Since we had never found anothing we just assumed this park had been hunted clean or there was just nothing there. A park established in 1883 and we thought there just might not be anything there LOL. We all got out of the truck and fired up the detectors. My first swing gave me a nice clean tone and read a 83 at 6 /12". As normal I had my buddy's check the signal with their machines. The Grand Master got nothing and the Totec made a snip but nothing worthy of further investigation.

I just about walked on but the tone was just too clean and loud and I figured with a new detector I wanted to know what it was. All our jaws dropped as out of this one single hole I pulled 3 wheats, 3 silver dimes, 2 mercs and one barber, and a 1944 silver war nickel. I could walk two steps and the same thing would happen. Over and over I pulled multiple old coins from single holes. There were so many coins that they were piled on top layer after layer year after year. Just around the band shell I pulled over 2000 old coins. And we thought this place had been hunted out. What we did come to realize was that this 1883 park sit along side the Arkansas River which used to flood on average ever 30-40 years. Each flood had deposited mud in the park burying the coins to extreme depths. There are still areas we cannot reach yet because we have hit the limitation of current detector technology. There are coins at least 24" deep in some areas.

Anyway, it was the Eagle Spectrum that started me on the quest for the best. After a simply amazing 5 years the park slowly stopped giving up the good to my Eagle Spectrum. I thought I just needed to find a deeper machine because I know the coins are there. Tried many and nothing brought that park back to life until I got a DFX. After two year it was the E-Trac that brought the park back to life. Now for the last 3-4 years it has just been a few oldies from location I had missed before. Now I sit back and wait for the next leap in technology. I try a few that might look and sound promising, but I have yet to find that next detector.

Now that is an interesting story...southwind.... and wow nice finds. That's a pretty inspiring outlook... I really think i got a spectrum with some issues.It was used an been exposed to alot of salty air as you could see some pretty bad corrosion on the main circuit board as you were putting the battery pack in it...anyway. There is a similar park near me also. It was est. In 1922 and back in the 80's it got alot of detector traffic and thru the 90's as well.so thats what im planning on doing there also .with a new machine. To see whats reachable. You ever have that "wierd" feeling ??? That there is a gold coin out there.... Just waiting for you??? That's how this park is... HH. HaloEffect426

The Eagle SL 2 was my very first detector that I bought at a yard sale that also came with the pocket manual and Pro headphones all for $25 Canadian. Found my first gold/silver rings with it. It sure sucked the life out of batteries a lot faster than today's metal detectors.

I have been building up a collection of older Whites detector. Just added a Eagle 2 SL 90 and am very impressed with this detector. Had a break in the cold and rain today, so got in a hour of detecting with the Eagle. Was very surprised by the recovery, seemed to be faster than a XLT, or DFX. It ran very stable in my hot ground and locked on VDI numbers very well. I can see that come summer I will use the detector quite a lot.

Thats great you just acquired. An sl 90. I know it is a real performer...ever for its age...maybe i will get lucky and stumble across a good used one...the first one i had was brand new from the factory.. And like i said, it was awesome... ! Im thinking positive as to grabbing up another one. Just for the heck of it! HH.
:^)

Southwind said:
I was just the opposite. Didn't care much for the sl 90 but the Eagle Spectrum and I clicked and went to coin city.

In fact it was the Eagle Spectrum that opened our city park to a whole new world of coins.

Up until 1991 there were three of us who had hunted the city park with every detector we got and never found as much as a few recent drop wheats. In 1991 I bought a new Eagle Spectrum, my buddy had a Grand Master Hunter and the other a Tesoro Toltec 100. As common practice we took all new detectors to this city park for the first hunt. Since we had never found anothing we just assumed this park had been hunted clean or there was just nothing there. A park established in 1883 and we thought there just might not be anything there LOL. We all got out of the truck and fired up the detectors. My first swing gave me a nice clean tone and read a 83 at 6 /12". As normal I had my buddy's check the signal with their machines. The Grand Master got nothing and the Totec made a snip but nothing worthy of further investigation.

I just about walked on but the tone was just too clean and loud and I figured with a new detector I wanted to know what it was. All our jaws dropped as out of this one single hole I pulled 3 wheats, 3 silver dimes, 2 mercs and one barber, and a 1944 silver war nickel. I could walk two steps and the same thing would happen. Over and over I pulled multiple old coins from single holes. There were so many coins that they were piled on top layer after layer year after year. Just around the band shell I pulled over 2000 old coins. And we thought this place had been hunted out. What we did come to realize was that this 1883 park sit along side the Arkansas River which used to flood on average ever 30-40 years. Each flood had deposited mud in the park burying the coins to extreme depths. There are still areas we cannot reach yet because we have hit the limitation of current detector technology. There are coins at least 24" deep in some areas.

Anyway, it was the Eagle Spectrum that started me on the quest for the best. After a simply amazing 5 years the park slowly stopped giving up the good to my Eagle Spectrum. I thought I just needed to find a deeper machine because I know the coins are there. Tried many and nothing brought that park back to life until I got a DFX. After two year it was the E-Trac that brought the park back to life. Now for the last 3-4 years it has just been a few oldies from location I had missed before. Now I sit back and wait for the next leap in technology. I try a few that might look and sound promising, but I have yet to find that next detector.

Funny how we move along to 'newer, better' detectors over the years. I had an original eagle. Loved it. I've mentioned before that I used it in conjunction with a jimmy sierra six-shooter stacked coil. Great combo for yards and parking strips.

We have a old local park that I wander to on occasion. Always seems to have a little something to give up with each visit, even with older detectors.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this coming year has for us along the lines of 'new'.

Rich (Utah)

A friend of mine had one, and he out-hunted me with it almost every time. He did well with his at salt beaches and claims that no other "vintage" machine did as well in salt-affected sand than it did. It was a good relic machine, also.

Rich (Utah) said:
Southwind said:

Funny how we move along to 'newer, better' detectors over the years. I had an original eagle. Loved it. I've mentioned before that I used it in conjunction with a jimmy sierra six-shooter stacked coil. Great combo for yards and parking strips.

We have a old local park that I wander to on occasion. Always seems to have a little something to give up with each visit, even with older detectors.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this coming year has for us along the lines of 'new'.

Rich (Utah)

Yeah Rich, I've always had a special liking of Whites detectors due to the Eagle Spectrum. It not only opened a whole new aspect of detecting for me but was my only machines for many years. I would love to see Whites introduce a new top of the line game changer. Not that their V series isn't good, but I just didn't hit it off as well as I did the Eagle and the DFX. I still keep my DFX as my backup and fun machine. I still fill it has one of the best and accurate target ID system on the market. Not a deep hitter like the E-Trac or Deus, but more precise target ID. And sometimes great target ID trumps depth.