Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does anyone use the "coin plus" feature on their 70 or 705?

I was watching some vids on MLOTV and came across one of Des explaining this feature. It was the first time I had heard of it . Was wondering if anyone used it and if there were any advantages or disadvantages to it. I am going to try to get out this weekend and try it. Thanks Ken

The ground creates noise which the detector needs to filter out. The more minerals the more noise, which affects the stability of the displayed ID. Most newer detectors are a slow swing 2 filter design, whereas many of the older were 4 filter fast swing design. Those 4 filter detectors tended to be less noisy and more stable in ID than the newer 2 filter types and were favored for areas with more difficult ground. There is the Stability mode on the X-Terras(70,705) that allows them to mimic in a fashion the older 4 filters.

However the Tone ID & Visual ID then become un-ganged. Therefore to improve the Visual ID the Tone ID may not always match the Visual ID.

But, it's another example of the flexibility of the X-Terra's as the premier mid-range detectors.:)

From the manual:

Target ID Stability

The X-Terra 705 has a fine Discrimination Scale, but this may result in some instability of the
displayed Target ID in some areas with highly mineralised soil. In these cases, the Target ID numbers may be further stabilised by using the Target ID Stabiliser. The Target Tone may not always
match the stabilised Target ID. Activating Target ID Stability In the detection screen, press and hold
Mode for three seconds. The + icon will appear, indicating that Target ID Stability is activated.
To de-activate Target ID Stability, press and hold Mode for three seconds. The icon will disappear, indicating that Target ID Stability is de-activated.

HH
BarnacleBill

I have been metal detecting for a little over two years now. I have been using the X-Terra 50 and Garrett Ace 250, up to 3 weeks ago when I purchased a new X-Terra 705. A lot of the areas I hunt have high mineralised ground and when I locate a good coin target the ID numbers seem to jump around a lot. Yesterday I decided to try the coin plus mode or as the manual described it as target ID stability for the first time. It seems to keep the ID numbers down to 2 instead of 4 or sometimes more. I now know I will be using feature more. I like to hunt coin mode, 4 tones,all metal,manually ground balance and lower sensitivity in high trash areas. If I decide to hunt in a pattern mode I will sometimes use the threshold.

H H,
H2F

Target ID Stabilization, I have run with and without and I don't perceive a difference in depth. Though I haven't done any actual testing. It does keep the numbers from bouncing as much. I kinda use a combo of sound and id to determain too dig or not.

However some have posted before they dig most targets in the 4 to 6 inch range.

HH
Jeff

I always use the +target ID stability. I find that it make a difference in mineralized soil. HH TomB

BarnacleBill, a 2 filter has a slower sweep speed and the 4 filter has a faster sweep speed.

But when the X-70(5) Coins Plus+ is activated it mimics a 4 filter for stability as you said, BUT also does it allow the X-70(5)'s to be swung with a faster sweep speed in the Coins Plus+ mode, than not in this mode??

Coins Plus+ stabilizes all numbers in higher mineralization, especially you want this for goodies. BUT another issue, from what Des Dunne did say on his video, the Coins Plus+ is not to be used on mild-low mineralization because it ALSO will stabilize the numbers on trash-junk items and a person does not want to do that because jumping numbers(jumping sounds) can be good a tell tale sign of some trash-junk. Good items(silver, gold, and copper) numbers are usually stable in mild-low mineralization anyway so Coins Plus+ is not needed.

That is the ONLY disadvantage of the Coins Plus+ mode, it will stabilize trash-junk items as I understand. Otherwise use it all of the time if that is not an issue.

HELP
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,1088868,1089934#msg-1089934
Re: HELP
Posted by: Des Dunne
Date: November 13, 2009 06:50AM
Hello Bassman1235,
If you log onto and take a look at this video link it may help out a tad?
http://www.mlotv.com/view/621/coins-plus-feature-in-x-terra-705-70-explained/

I had to use the + a couple of days ago because of very high mineralized soil. Numbers were jumping around so bad that I could not get it to settle down.