Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does Fisher Stand Behind Their Products ????

jimmyjiver

Hi, I just thought I would inform everyone that if you ever buy a new coil save your receipt...
Don't buy a used one neither because if you ever have problems with it in the future you will need a receipt to return it to Fisher....I bought a new never used 5" coil from a guy and used it once or twice...The coil seemed to work great but when I took it off the rod I noticed the wire is getting splits up and down the wire...Well I called Fisher and they said I need a receipt to return it ....I have never ever witnessed any coil wire exhibiting this problem in my 30 plus years of detecting...This is obviously a Fisher Factory Defect that they will not stand behind unless I produce a receipt....I own and have bought numerous Fisher products in the past but with this current scenario I believe my purchasing dollars are going elsewhere... Thanks....JJ

If you are making a warranty claim you need a receipt. The receipt proves you are the warranty holder.

You are not the warranty holder so you can't make a warranty claim.

But you can still return stuff to get fixed, you just have to pay for it.

If you want it fixed under warranty, send it back to the guy you bought it from and have him send it in for you, provided he is actually the warranty holder and has the receipt.

Good luck.

HH
Mike

Hi, did I miss something here?? Fisher told me I need a receipt to return it..You do the math it needs a new wire so I believe it boils down to a new coil...Very cost prohibited on my part.....I say make it right the first time so it will hold up and not have a slow disintegration over a short period of time ...Thanks..,..JJ

obviously this is a defect if its new...A receipt doesn't prove anythingHow is fisher going to see if you are the warranty holder if the coil has no numbers on it in the first place?i would think fisher would have at least said send it in so we can look @ it.If i were fisher i would want to know if its a defect and if it were i would replace it..I had an issue once with xxx brand coil and it got replaced with no ?'s asked.They didn't even ask for a receipt...I would call and ask for Felix ..He will do the right thing...I'm sure...

My buddy has the same problem on his 1236. The insulation on the coil wire is split open about 3 inches or so from where it goes into the coil. He taped it up but that won't keep moisture from shorting the coil out.
He is going to send it to FTP and see what they do about it. When he called them of course they offered to sell him a new coil for 140.00....Waiting to see what they do for him about the coil.

Roger

Hi,, I thought I would add a photo so if anyone wanted to see the problem that I have with the wire on the coil....Overall Fisher products seem to be well built at least that was my thinking up till now... Thanks....JJ

from the pics I can see; First Texas coil wire is "different" than the usual coil wire I was used to for years...Los Banos is round whereas First Texas is almost thinner and more like shrink tubing...

If it were my CZ-3D coil I would pull the connector apart, look at the color of the wires, write down the pinout, cut the bad section off, and resolder it on. The wire is plenty long enough to sacrifice a few inches.

Hi, Hey Christopher I don't know who made the wire not that it really matters to me..With all the CZ's etc. you have had over the years have you ever seen this happen?? Lipservice I wish it was as simple as cutting a few inches of wire off the coil but it's not because it's doing this all over the wire even down close to the coil....JJ

I looked at my 5 inch coil and the wire on it looks like it is a different color of black.... more of a dull black and feels kinda like rubber. Your coil looks to be vinyl coated or something. My guess is you have a FT produced cz coil. Not sure how to tell the difference between a Los Banos
produced coil and a FT produced coil except the one falling apart is the FT product. Hope you get a new coil from FT, but the sad part is you will probably have the same problem again. You pay a premium for the coils and this is what you get....Bounty Hunter quality.....no thanks.

Roger

1. No BH products have ever used the cable that we use on Fishers.

2. The cable we use on Fishers is the same high-quality custom-designed stuff that we use on Teknetics. To my knowledge we have never had any problem with this cable.

3. This cable is manufactured in the USA.

4. The cable they used in Los Banos was different.

5. The cable in the photo looks like Los Banos cable, not El Paso cable, although admittedly can't tell for sure from the photo.

Summarizing: the coil in question was probably made in Los Banos. But regardless of where it was made, the present owner bought it used without warranty.

--Dave J.

My father was a polymer chemist in the US and foreign wire and cable industry for 30 years so I'm kinda familiar with the stuff but I'm definitely not an electrician or an expert on the subject :D However; after listening to all this wire and cable talk for almost 20 years of my like I did pick up a bit...with wire and cable, sheathing issues can occur for a myriad of reasons from a material quality or mix issue(manufacturing issue), abuse or mishandling, temperature extremes, direct force, etc to name a few...usually the manufacturer can look at it and have a good reason why it occurred...as with electronic component there is always a risk of a problem...that cable can be cut and a new connector applied, repaired with a waterproof tape or oversheathing as is, or used as a target for your gun I guess...surely frustrating though...if I had a 5 inch CZ coil I'd just give it to you...HH Chris

Hi,,Well folks I think we all know the answer by now which is no surprise to me....I wish the past poster would of actually read what I said,, which is "I bought a new never used 5" coil from a guy" the guy was supposedly a dealer and I can't seem to make contact with him now to see about a receipt.....People look but they don't see....People hear but they don't listen....It's all good, God Bless you all and I hope everyone has a good upcoming season including fisher.....Thanks....JJ

jimmyjiver said:
Hi, I just thought I would inform everyone that if you ever buy a new coil save your receipt...
Don't buy a used one neither because if you ever have problems with it in the future you will need a receipt to return it to Fisher....I bought a new never used 5" coil from a guy and used it once or twice...The coil seemed to work great but when I took it off the rod I noticed the wire is getting splits up and down the wire...Well I called Fisher and they said I need a receipt to return it ....I have never ever witnessed any coil wire exhibiting this problem in my 30 plus years of detecting...This is obviously a Fisher Factory Defect that they will not stand behind unless I produce a receipt....I own and have bought numerous Fisher products in the past but with this current scenario I believe my purchasing dollars are going elsewhere... Thanks....JJ

Jimmy, above please see your post. No mention of either "dealer" or "warranty". And "never used" seems to be what "a guy" told you: when you buy a searchcoil from "a guy" you have to presume it's used unless it's in the original shipping package unopened.

If this person to whom you refer so distantly as "a guy" is a legit Fisher dealer, and you want the problem resolved, please work through him on it. It's good advice that at least one other person in this thread has given.

--Dave J.

Using Fisher products over the years never had a coil wire problem or for that matter very few problems with any of my units.

Unfortunately warranty is only for first owner and buying used has its drawbacks.

Having said the above know a few competitor detector manufacturers that would have handled the situation different and thats why many use Whites or Tesoro's.....

Hi, First off let me make one thing perfectly clear here...I did not post this question to slam or point out any flaws in one company over the other...I own at least 20 or more metal detectors made by various companies and a couple of these are probably 50 years old... NONE of these show a coil wire problem like this....I believe if I was a manufacturer of metal detectors I would recommend to a customer with this kinda coil problem to send it in so we could see what went wrong & do we need to make changes in design??.... Furthermore I think the guy I bought it from was posing as a bogus dealer and he's avoiding me now ...I have bought other coils off of this forum and other forums with no problems at all....In closing let me say that some lessons in life are free and some lessons in life cost money,either way you expand your mind and get educated.... HH to all....Thanks....JJ

they even bend the rules sometimes(more often than not) if you are honest and have a good attitude to begin with. i have used fisher service a few times and they have great customer service!! all those who are making stupid little comments about bountyhunter quality etc: should sell your f75s and t2s that you secretly use and love and go buy a heavy,outdated poorly designed machine.

jimmyjiver said:
Hi, First off let me make one thing perfectly clear here...I did not post this question to slam or point out any flaws in one company over the other...I own at least 20 or more metal detectors made by various companies and a couple of these are probably 50 years old... NONE of these show a coil wire problem like this....I believe if I was a manufacturer of metal detectors I would recommend to a customer with this kinda coil problem to send it in so we could see what went wrong & do we need to make changes in design??.... Furthermore I think the guy I bought it from was posing as a bogus dealer and he's avoiding me now ...I have bought other coils off of this forum and other forums with no problems at all....In closing let me say that some lessons in life are free and some lessons in life cost money,either way you expand your mind and get educated.... HH to all....Thanks....JJ

sorry to hear that!! make sure you get the guys name out if you dont get any help from him soon.

jimmy! could be possible this "guy" wasn't a dealer
once the money changes hands,it's over! "smart money"
says always buy from a "proven" dealer,and then you are covered!
this is something i am always reminding myself of,whenever i am tempted
to buy used! also,it's just one more reason to "make sure" you pick the right detector
for you,because if the warranty is NOT' transferrable,it may be difficult to resell it!
just a little something to think about!..just sayin'

There is a lot of fake equipment entering the market also.

As for out of warranty work , i have seen FT fix some with no charge.

I had a pinpointer go bad not Fisher , just out of warranty .
Read of another poster with same problem , but he took his apart and could not get it back together.
He sent it in and was fixed no charge
I was charged for mine , whats up with that.:shrug: