Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does higher reactivity mean slower swing speed?

The Wolf

Just curious as to when you hit a trashy area and want to jack up the Reactivity level, do you need a faster or slower swing speed for optimal results?

Slower swing speed with Reactivity at 3 or higher will allow the detector to separate targets better. If you get a blippy or chopped signal, slow down and rescan the area and let the machine "hook" the target. If it's a medium to high conducting target most of the time it takes a couple swings for the software to "resolve" the signal and the audio quality will improve. ON these types of signals ignore the VDI completely and dig by audio - chances are it's a coin mixed in with foil, nails, etc.

Went back to the most productive rental property last night and mowed the yard as part of our agreement "I will mow your yard once if you let me detect!" (most people can't pass this up and it's only a 60' X 45' yard)

After that I went up to the front steps area where I found the Walker and put Reactivity into 4 with silencer at 0 and proceeded at a snail's pace. Iron Vol was at 0 and I had Notch set at 00-27 to quiet the machine down somewhat with EMI, foil, etc in 12 kHz. Anything repeatable was dug, didn't look at the VDI in the 45 minutes that I hunted the area but managed to pull a dateless Buffalo nickel, two Wheats, a couple high-relief memorials (1959 through 1968 ), and a small brass tack at 3". At this reactivity setting you can still get US copper pennies at 6" deep, but that's about it as far as depth goes. The buffalo nickel and one Wheat had several roofing nails in the same hole as well as deeper-seated longer nails about 8-9" deep. It doens't matter for the most part the orientation of nails in the ground - as long as there is a coin or other high conductor present there will be an audio signal before the machine resolves the target for a dependable VDI.

A snail's pace for me in Reactivity 3 or 4 is about 12-18 inches per second. Keep the swing speed steady and be sure to sweep 90 degrees relative to your direction of travel on return hunts. You can get decent depth at Reactivity of 3 and a slow sweeping speed - maybe 7-8" max on a US small cent while quarters and halves max out around 10-11" (in my soil, GBs around 82-84)

Once again CZ gives excellent advice! And once again I learn more.......

I wish I lived near you, man the time hunting would be great for me picking your brain!!

Bravo CZ

Jim

Excellent info. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks CZ! I find myself not even looking at the VDIs. I just keep the control box in my pocket in a dust free case and only pull it out for adjustments. Hunting by tones with limited disc and utilizing the notch seems to be quite productive for me. I feel like it keeps me from overlooking decent signals that I may decide not to dig if the VDI is low.