Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does Minelab still repair the Excal 1000 with the Yellow Headphones....Thanks..

Spoke with them last fall before I bought a used one, & they assured me that they still carried plenty of parts .

Mine is there right now. I had a volume problem. Contact Minelab. You need to get a return number. About three weeks turn around I think.

The pod for the Excal II will work if you did not know that. Be advised that the alkaline pods make a nice back up, but are only water resistant. I would advertise in the classifieds and sponsors here or check the big auction site.

Way I understand it (? Check the Excalibur thread link on PODs in the battery sticky that notes this as being the subject matter) the alkaline holder is the same exact holder as the rechargeable one. Only difference is Minelab only rates the alkaline holder as water resistent and not waterproof because of people opening/closing the seal all the time? At least that's what the one thread said that is linked to the battery sticky. If that's the case, then provided you pay close attention to the seal and also take care of it via a proper lubricant to keep it in good condition, shouldn't be any issues I would bet.

That's why if I were to get an Excalibur I'd either throw that 1600ma nimh pack that is sold for it into the alkaline holder, or better yet I'd stick a 3 cell lipo in there. Highest capacity that will still fit the pod. The added perk to that is no self discharge on the shelf, so less times you have to open/charge the thing. Highest capacity possible would also help in that respect.

I've heard some people worry about a lipo catching fire or exploding when exposed to water. The key to that risk, with ANY lithium based battery by the way, is that the battery has to be ruptured in some way to expose the lithium inside to water. If the lipo, or any lithium battery, as a breach in the casing you'd know long before water expose you had a problem. Just the moisture in the air will cause them to go nuclear.

In fact, the way lipos are supposed to be disposed is by draining them dead, then throwing into a bucket of salt water for several days to insure they are completely drained. I would suspect that if there was any real risk of water reaction with an unbreached battery they wouldn't be recommending such a thing.