Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

DOES TESORO HAVE A SLEEPER??

If so which one and why? Old or current production. Lets here your thoughts.

I think Tesoro is a sleeper itself. So many people go for these luxury detectors and not giving Tesoro a thought due to there size, tone options or lack of a screen. Some of the bells and whistles go overboard, but marketing helps them sell. Yes they are good in hands that really get to know them, but I think that Tesoro detectors are just as capable and better in some situations. I have learned more from Tesoro products than any other as I used to rely on what the screen said. Weight, warranty, customer service and capability are all there, if you don't get caught up in all of the hype out there.

I agree with John(ma). However, I'd be inclined to list both the Compadre and Silver as "sleepers" considering the bang for the buck.
BB

the Compadre and Silver

The sleeper for me is the Silver uMax. This little low priced wonder amazes me everytime I take it out. Using the disc. control I can read it's audio quite well and it rarely lies to me. I can determine the size of the target when I pin point, tell depth by sweeping above the target and raising the coil, tell if it is coin with the disc. set past pulltab, and only occasionally be fooled the crushed twist off bottle cap. No display needed for me. In trash it has fast recovery time and amazing target separation if you slow down the swing speed and overlap. With my disc. setting I miss nickels and jerwerly in the parks I hunt. I don't care for the most part because I seek silver and do not want to dig the place all up just for a nickel. I have a good relationship with most of the park employees and want to keep it that way. They always wave and once in awhile stop by just to shoot the breeze. And yes they have looked to see where I dug and are happy with what they don't see, which is tore up sod and holes all over the place. The depth on the Silver is quite acceptable with my deepest find a wheatie at 7". It is not a depth monster but for most parks it is a quick and easy detector to use that is very effective for not a lot of jing. I had a Whites DFX user watch me and listen to the audio (I unplugged the headphones for him) and he was amazed at how easily I picked two coins right out of the trash. He never thought an inexpensive detector could work that good. As long as Tesoro is in bussiness they will have my bussiness.

So if I may I will paraphrase. Monte Say's Outlaw. :) Just kidding. Good post Monte.

For me it's the Cibola. I know it's intended for use as a coin and competition machine, but in good ground it's a super relic detector.

With the fast separation and great discrimination in iron it has brought up many Colonial, Rev War and Civil war relics.

And when the ground gets nasty the Vaquero with it's manual GB can handle it.

Not really sure I can ad anything relevant as I've only owned and used one detector that I bought new in late eighties. Tesoro Golden Sabre II and as far as I'm concerned it's a coin shootin SOB and has served me well. Dug 45 more coins today.......

I have complete faith in my Tesoro and should I ever buy another detector it'll be a Tesoro.....simple, functional, lifetime warranty and they work........

[size=medium]I've owned several White's with displays since 1971. A couple of years ago I bought a Minelab Safari. I'm sure it is a capable machine but the number of tones hurt my brain. I sold it & bought a White's VX3. Loved those displays!! They gave me probability in color; so cool! My neighbor was walking circles around me with his Amigo 2. I sold the White's and upgraded to a new Lobo ST. The depth is just fine. The target separation is fantastic. I added a clip under the forearm and moved the control box further back for better balance. The only function that is not easily accessible is the pinpoint[/size] switch, which I never use anyway. I picked up a like new Silver U on EBay for $160.00. It was so much fun I decided to pop for the Outlaw. I'm still learning it but am finding out rather quickly that this is my go to machine. My interests are predominately relic hunting, then coins, and sometimes prospecting. I think with the range of coils & machines Tesoro offers, I've got everything covered.
There may be some clouds on the horizon but I think there may be some sun too. I'm 65 today and getting as old as the dirt I dig. There will be a lot more baby boomers joining me. I think those ranks will include more like me who want a light weight, simple detector WITH REAL KNOBS!!
I've got a boss who doesn't metal detect but tells me that I should buy the best money can buy. I tell him I did. I would love to follow him & his $2500.00 machine, with my Rat Shack looking Silver U.
Check out "Friendly Detecting Forum" and look at the problems people are having with a particular $2500.00 machine. Good grief! I'll take USA made any day.
Research is the key to success. Knowing your detector is important. Okay, I'll get off of my soap box now.:super:

My Compadre has found me several times it's cost since I got it.
Nothing I have ever swung has been as sensitive, or has found jewelry as easily as this one.
Lots of people think it's a toy...it's not.

I think of it as a super sensitive surgical instrument that does things others just can't do.

:cool: When I hear the term, "sleeper",...I think about those units that don't get very much attention. Some are better or as good as those machines that people chat about all the time. So, I think the biggest sleeper of all for Tesoro is the Cortes. A close second would be the Golden uMax. There are a lot of satisfied users of these units but we don't hear from them very much. There is too much complaining about the small ID screen on the Cortes. There is too much complaining about the tone separation on the Golden. When there is complaining the users of these machines tend to hold back due to potential conflict with other's opinions. I love ALL the Tesoro units and wish I could have one of each !!!!:detecting::tesoro::cheers:

reddirtfisher said:
:cool: When I hear the term, "sleeper",...I think about those units that don't get very much attention. Some are better or as good as those machines that people chat about all the time. So, I think the biggest sleeper of all for Tesoro is the Cortes. A close second would be the Golden uMax. There are a lot of satisfied users of these units but we don't hear from them very much. There is too much complaining about the small ID screen on the Cortes. There is too much complaining about the tone separation on the Golden. When there is complaining the users of these machines tend to hold back due to potential conflict with other's opinions. I love ALL the Tesoro units and wish I could have one of each !!!!:detecting::tesoro::cheers:
You mentioned the Cortes but not the DeLeon. It seems to be a bit of a sleeper. The one that I have is a nice unit and I think under rated.

Naturally, this is my opinion, but it has a pretty sound backing as I have personally owned both models, and have had a lot of hands-on help that I have given others who brought them to a seminar. Mostly 5-to1 in favor of owning the DeLe

Monte, I understand what you are saying and agree with a lot of what you are saying. However, when I say "sleeper", I mean a machine that is in the Tesoro lineup (past or present) and was/is underated. As far as the DeLeon needing a automatic or manual ground balance, I would agree whole heartedly. I would lean toward a automatic just because new people in the hobby are accustom to not having to do any ground balancing themselves. As far as the numarical read out goes, my machine is pretty accurate. However, I would like to see the numbers on the high end spread out a little more. My DeLeon seems to work pretty well here in Arkansas and is pretty good at IDing iron. I am growing to like the display and use it as a real time notch, deciding what to dig or not dig. As far as the Whites Classic machines go, I have been tempted to buy and try one. However, I was hunting with a buddy who had one and we were near some powerlines and it was unusable. Thanks for the interesting dialog. Wheaty.

I really don't think there is such as thing as a "sleeper" in the detector field today. Maybe 20 years ago, but not today. The Internet forums pretty much bring to light any detectors that one might call a sleeper.

the "Sleeper" is the detector sitting in a closet unused with batteries corroding. i own 3 different brands, a Whites MXT-standard of the industry, basic and still in production as original with an advanced model. A Compass xp350--company gone due to marketing- not performance for the day. 3 Tesoros- original Eldorado manual all around, A Silver Sabre Plus, ( Not Montes fav of that flagship line) and an Amigo II. i have used Garretts, Bounty Hunters, Radio Shacks, and have access to Minelabs, top line Tesoros present day, Blisstool , Teks top line, new Euro, Red Heats etc.. from a collector.

they all find things.

in the right hands-- as in my Guru i call him, he spanks me with a Compadre no matter what machine i use. he owns all the above. he has done it 40 yrs as much as 7 days a week with multiple hunts some days. he had the time and money being an independent jeweler with a Midas touch.

no machine is better than the operator.

Monte's least fav is the Silver Sabre plus of that line. its my fav. Monte would out hunt more than likely with my own Silver Sabre Plus and me with a Outlaw.

much is skill, location, and familiarity of the machine. practice makes a difference.

no magic wand folks we all know that.

there is no really BAD machine. all have quirks and special features. some companies have better service and warranties. but then no one is satified all the time.

Tesoro is an iconic company of good stable older tech machines and breaking some ground. Nautilus has not changed much- they still have a following. new is not necessarily better. the Eurotek is new tech making waves- built a little different. better? time will tell. i am impressed. but certain situations to hunt, i would beg to differ until proven otherwise.

Monte has NEVER STEERED ME WRONG. we like different/and some same machines- but we do hunt different parts of the country different ways.

some of the worlds greatest finds were by first timers with cheap machines.

the sleeper is in the closet-- get it out and use it!

I know I'm late on the following of this ,however. One thing I would truly love to see Tesoro put together would be a dual frequency unit. I've said this before. I'd also Like to see My idea of a 2 in one unit thrown together.

VLF AND PULSE . All in one box. Flip a toggle to go between the 2 and simply switch out coils. Yes another VDI unit would be cool as well. A vaquero with 3 LED. lights on it like the whites Beach Hunter. Tesoro has the technology and I wish they would put it to better use insted of going on what they have. I've been a Tesoro user for 22 years and Love the units. Just Somthing new and up with the times as mentioned would be nice.