Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does the ATX have true non-motion function?

Drjohn71a

Does the ATX non-motion function represent a true non-motion funtion? i.e. "... not fade out, but rather get stronger as it gets closer to the target and continue to sound as long as the coil remains over the target"?

Yes.....I did a test comparison....motion mode vs. non-motion. I kept the same settings for sensitivity, threshold, ground balance etc. I don't have those settings anymore.

Thanks for that data, John. Were those air tests? SoCal, I've watched all of Garrett's videos and BearCats/DetectorComparisons, etc.. My concern is that it seems like the ATX has a few distinct pitches while a data logger would need a more continuously variable series of tones over the conductivity range. So, as a user, has anyone heard the ATX smoothly raise and lower output pitch according to the target's conductivity? Or, does it just "select" from 4 or 5 "preset" tone pitches?

I don't believe the ATX selects from 4 or 5 preset tone pitches. I heard several different pitches in sound on the high tone side, some on the low tone side, and some in between. On the beach scooping items one after another with a wide range of conductivity and depth, I can pick up on the subtle changes in tones that have different conductivity. Especially on the non-ferrous side, but you have to be in the zone in your head, scooping regularly, and concentrating on what you are hearing.

For the every day Joe digging targets few and far between, may only notice a high or low tone.
Anyway, I hope that helps.

SoCal.. That sounds good, that some nuance in frequencies is exhibited over varying targets. Some time I'll have to get close enough to an ATX to evaluate that. The data loggers won't respond to the "high-low and low-high" since they just sample one input per spot per second or more frequently. The sampling interval is too short for dual tones, but I see dual tones are not present in non-motion mode.

What I'm seeking is a constant sound pitch proportional to the target's conductivity.

To be clear ... my last post was in reference to the motion mode with changes of the initial pitch of the high tone with a lower tone echo, and initial pitch of the low tone with a higher tone echo.

Not sure if the pitch would change in the non-motion mode, but I would expect it would change some. It would be an easy test to find out.

Yes...that was an air test, out in the country, at least one mile from any power line. The test was based on a change of audio, observable and where I would probably dig it up in the field. The low-high / high low remained. I did have to use the re-tune button to help clarify the deeper whispers.

I don't know, John... Only ONE mile from any power line? That'd rule out half the USA! JJ.

What is claimed by the data loggers is that the computer can read those whispers and show them on a map.