Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does the Equinox have a reject volume control?

JASONSPAZ1

n/t

"Yes, in a way it does! Tone Volume can be used to lower the Low Tone of ferrous.
But it doesn't appear to be as versatile as to its abilities as an MX Sport.

The Reject Volume was one of my favorite things about the MX Sport!"

I dont think ive heard this term before Des. Is it like adjusting the modulation reducing the volume of weaker signals...... but having the ability to basically NOTCH the ones being adjusted? We did that across the board somewhat with gain on the Explorers......the the CTX gave us the ability to adjust the tones and threshold i believe.....all can change what targets we are more attentive to. Also after long periods of beach hunting..... we dont get complacent listening only to high tones...... like pennies.

Dew

I'm with dew, I haven't heard this term before. Des seems to know what you mean, JASONSPAZ, but I haven't heard of that term.

Can you tell those of us unfamiliar with the term "reject volume control" exactly what you mean? On the Equinox, there are many options apparently for setting tones and volumes to various categories of target ID; as Des said, you can apparently adjust the volume of ferrous target IDs, so if you consider the iron/foil break point your "reject" level, then yes -- I'd say you can do what you are asking. Further, I believe you can also adjust the volume of additional "bins" of tones. So, let's say you adjust your -10 to 0 volume (iron) to a low setting. And then let's say you set up a bin of non-ferrous from 0 to 15. You can then, as I understand it, choose both the tone pitch AND volume of this bin, so theoretically you could -- I think -- make this 0 to 15 bin of target ID have the same tone pitch, AND the same tone volume, as you set for your -10 to 0 (iron range) tone. OR -- maybe a slightly higher tone and slightly higher volume. OR, slightly higher tone but the same low volume...in other words, I think there are lots of options for customization of tones. Steve Herschbach explained this pretty well at another site.

Don't know if this helps to answer your question, or not...

Steve

Thats not really the volume of the target in the bin is it Steve? Isnt that more the freq........we hear or tune in on the freq of tones differently. Are we talking about a NEW option not similar to what the CTX can do? But i think you are right about the meaning. I had to think about what he said....... and the setting terms.

Dew

dewcon4414 said:
I dont think ive heard this term before Des. Is it like adjusting the modulation reducing the volume of weaker signals...... but having the ability to basically NOTCH the ones being adjusted? We did that across the board somewhat with gain on the Explorers......the the CTX gave us the ability to adjust the tones and threshold i believe.....all can change what targets we are more attentive to. Also after long periods of beach hunting..... we dont get complacent listening only to high tones...... like pennies.

Dew

Dew,

One of the nice things about the newer detectors is features like adjustable iron rejection volume, discrimination breaks, adjustable tones and so forth. Keep in mind that not all manufacturers use the same terminology or label for similar functions.

An example of Iron rejection tone would be on my Racer 2 where I can select various modes. One that I like for hunting ghost towns is 3-tone. With it i can adjust the discrimination point at which the iron segment ends and the next segment (i.e. foil) begins. Let's say I select that break point to be at 12. (12 is where small foil starts coming in) Everything that reads 0-12 will have the iron tone I can set the Tone of the iron tone anywhere comfortable to my ear between 0 and 700Hz. I have it set to a low 100hz. I can also control the Volume of the iron tone. I have it at a low 2 (0-10 volume setting); audible, but just barely. My 2nd Tone segment is set from where I left off on the iron tone (low foil) to just below an IHC. I set the tone for this middle segment at 170 Hz. On my Racer 2, the volume for this segment is controlled by the regular volume of the detector. My 3rd segment is the remainder of the scale, from IHC up through maximum conductivity. I have this 3rd tone set for 700 Hz and the volume for it is also controlled by the main volume control.

As I sweep over a bed of nails and small bits of iron, I will hear the iron audio, BUT, it is both low in audio tone and volume; more tolerable. Any item swept over that falls in the 2nd or 3rd segments will literally jump out at me announcing their presence. Iron Audio controls can help make a difficult hunt in a nail and iron riddled ghost town much more bearable.

In a sense, you can hunt in Discrimination, All-Metal, YET have some volume and tone control over the unwanted iron sounds so you know they are there, but they aren't overwhelming. The other nice thing about the iron audio is that by allowing the iron to speak rather than discriminating it out, I find I get very few IRON FALSES to chase after. In practice for me, it makes hunting iron trashed sites MUCH easier as I can actually pick out the mid- and high- conductor sounds from what would normally be a barrage of loud iron sounds.

Many of the newer, faster responding detectors are adding iron audio controls and similar functions and detectorists using them are finding a different way to search areas already hunted hard or picking through areas previously avoided due to the density of the iron trash.

Rich -

Hope I explained that in a reasonable way.

Rich

Would "reject-volume" mean anything rejected, not just ferrous. If I choose to also reject pulltabs then would this be be grouped with ferrous, thus the same volume? Iron Volume is not the same.....only adjusts ferrous volume. Pitch frequency is different than volume, adjusts tone. Never knew of anything having a reject volume. Thanks

dewcon4414 said:
Thats not Ieally the volume of the target in the bin is it Steve? Isnt that more the freq........we hear or tune in on the freq of tones differently. Are we talking about a NEW option not similar to what the CTX can do? But i think you are right about the meaning. I had to think about what he said....... and the setting terms.

Dew

Dew --

Sort of like Rich described, I believe on the Equinox you can adjust pitch of the tone AND volume of the tone in any bin...
Steve

TellYaWhut said:
Would "reject-volume" mean anything rejected, not just ferrous. If I choose to also reject pulltabs then would this be be grouped with ferrous, thus the same volume? Iron Volume is not the same.....only adjusts ferrous volume. Pitch frequency is different than volume, adjusts tone. Never knew of anything having a reject volume. Thanks

TYW,

A couple things to remember here as we look at this. First, the example is using a single axis of discrimination. Meaning it is linear and not the X/Y field used by the FBS detectors. And for the purpose of this example, we are not using discrimation by rejection or silencing of a signal or the threshold tone. We are discriminating by minimizing the response of unwanted targets, in my example above IRON.

My Racer 2 above has a separate adjustment to the Iron Volume, but you can see the possibilities here with savy programming on the part of the manufacturer. If I am understanding the Minelab reference card correctly, the Equinox 800 audio has audio settings for 1,2,5 and 50 tones. The tones for 50 are fixed, but the others, specifically the 5 setting offer some really possibilities for custom programming on our part. The first segment starts at -9 and the last segment ends at 40 and the segments are consecutive, meaning where you end one, two begins. Where you end two, three begins, and so forth. Each segment is adjustable in size, tone and volume of that tone.

Coinshooters can have a specific segment, tone and volume for nickels and minimize tabs. Jewelry hunters can set up specifically for rings and minimize pesky zincolns and even coins.

Possibilities are huge here for customizing the responses if you wish. Or go old school with single tone and a low discrimination setting and dig everything above nails. It’s really up to your imagination here. I am expected there to be lots of custom programs for various interests

Rich

Steve/Rich....... Thanks. Is the Racer and some of the other machines doing it differently than the CTX? Ive always had a pretty good ear to pick thru trashy areas other wont. Mostly because they think its a time waster. Ive done it with modulation adjustments or threshold changes........ I guess i need to buy another machine....... man cant keep up. Its getting as bad as cell phones. By time i buy one im already old school.

Reject Volume seems like it may refer to specifically Iron Volume as found on say the F19. Tone ID is diffrent giving various targets their own sound frequency. Pitch refers to the highness or lowness of a tone.....not really volume. Many metal detectors suffer depth when turning the Discrimination high. Adjusting the Iron Volume to zero would make you not hear iron, yet not hurt depth. Looking forward to what Minelab has to offer. As of today the FBS and BBS are unmatched by any model. Even when it comes to Pulse machines Minelab is tops. Seems like the foreign makers are bringing new ideas and features, not recycling the old or just making it waterproof and calling it new. I'd really like see a USA machine to excel....still waiting. Thanks

Thank you Des,
I knew I could count on you for that info.

This is my interpretation of a reject volume control ( or whatever each manufacture calls it)
The MX Sport, the Racer 2, and the Omega 8500 all have this feature.
A detectorists can be running in any mode, and adjust the reject volume control so targets that fall into individual, narrow, or a wide range of discrimination phases can sound off in a lower volume, than that of targets a hunter is seeking .
Basically, discriminated targets will be quitter while accepted targets will be louder.
The benefit of this is running in a true all metal mode and not hear all the targets sounding off at the same volume.
A detectorists can assume that a reject volume control, would be a great aid in cherry-pick amongst the trash in an all metal or a disc mode.
It appears a reject volume control can also be a great tool in allowing a hunters brain too tune into targets they want to find, while still enjoying the benefit of target tone id.

HH
Jason

P.S.
Not trying to start any type of controversy.
I only brought up the other machines as reference toward the volume reject control.
The EQUINOX will be an amazing machine for the ages.

Jason --

Yes, then, to answer your question. Since ON THE 800 you can set up certain bins of IDs representing targets that you want to accept, AND adjust/raise the volume of those bins (and then can adjust/lower the volume of any bins representing targets you want to "reject"), I'd say your answer is YES, you will be able to do that. On the 600, I think you can only adjust the volume of the iron range (-9 to 0) -- but not in the conductive range. But on the 800, you can adjust volume of any segment (when running in single tone, two tone, or five tone).

Steve

JASONSPAZ1 said:
Thank you Des,
I knew I could count on you for that info.

This is my interpretation of a reject volume control ( or whatever each manufacture calls it)
The MX Sport, the Racer 2, and the Omega 8500 all have this feature.
A detectorists can be running in any mode, and adjust the reject volume control so targets that fall into individual, narrow, or a wide range of discrimination phases can sound off in a lower volume, than that of targets a hunter is seeking .
Basically, discriminated targets will be quitter while accepted targets will be louder.
The benefit of this is running in a true all metal mode and not hear all the targets sounding off at the same volume.
A detectorists can assume that a reject volume control, would be a great aid in cherry-pick amongst the trash in an all metal or a disc mode.
It appears a reject volume control can also be a great tool in allowing a hunters brain too tune into targets they want to find, while still enjoying the benefit of target tone id.

HH
Jason

P.S.
Not trying to start any type of controversy.
I only brought up the other machines as reference toward the volume reject control.
The EQUINOX will be an amazing machine for the ages.

Jason,

I think that is a pretty good representation of things. It is a little hard as many are coming from different machines / manufacturers where terminology, methods and capabilities are different. Like the term BINS is unique not just to Minelab, but specifically to the CTX 3030. But the concept is right. allowing an audio emphasis for areas containing targets you want to hear, and a minimizing of the audio in areas you don't want to hear.

Many may wonder why in the world would you want to listen to the sound of items you don't want to hear, i.e. iron nails? Why not just discriminate them out and enjoy the peace and quiet? Well, Jason touches on it above; discrimination affects depth AND discrimination can cause falsing of 'bad' targets up into areas of 'good targets'. An additional benefit is knowing how congested the ground is with unwanted targets. This allows you to make a more educated approach to your hunting. At least that's the way I see it.

Interesting to read other opinions here and gain insights from others experiences.

Rich (Utah)

:cheers:
Thanks Rich (UT)

It will be interesting to see how narrow the digital disc is. Especially for notching. As a water hunter i dont use a lot of disc especially of cleaner beaches. I like to know when targets...... even disc ones are concentrating..... heavy is heavy. I use sizing as much as tone. Something the CTX isnt as good as the Xcal. I do like the ability to adjust the freq on the CTX.........you get kind of mind numb after 6 hours or more in the water....... you dont want the only target stopping you to be DEEP pennies.

Dew