Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does the Scoop increase yield??

Nutriasub

Hi all!!

I have been researching the scoop market, and thinking about getting one for my hunting.
I do only water hunting, snorkeling up to over the head, and have been doing fanning all the time.
But there is always does targets that I can't get because they are too deep for fanning, and the sand keeps collapsing on the same hole over and over, so I give up and continue to the next target. On every hunt at least 2-5 this happens

Do you guys think the scoop helps increase the amount of targets recuperated?
is it faster for water hunting?

Thanks a million for the help and support

I scoop hunt and my hunting partner last year snorkel, (fan/putty knife) hunts and his speed of recovery is a lot faster then my scooping. He has found a small silver chain in my discard pile and has told me what is in the bottom of holes I gave up on. My long way of saying if you have 2-5 targets you give up on fanning it would be 5-10 targets with a scoop. IMHO

A buddy of mine snorkel hunts also. He had a similar problem. In his case, he couldn't fan all the time due to small pebbles being present. (Lake Michigan)

I suggested that he use a metal hand scoop, with a slight modification, when fanning wasn't possible. If he teathered the handscoop to his belt, it would drag on the bottom and become annoying. The modification I suggested was, to attach foam, the kind for pipe wraps, or kids float sticks. He experimented with just the right amount to make the scoop neutrally buoyant. He now has the metal scoop teathered and it doesn't drag bottom, just kind of floats alongside of him. Works pretty well.

Increases your finds 100X easily. Shock corded for retention and nothing longer handled than a foot and good to go FAST-John

Thanks a lot guys!

Hoser John, I don't understand what you are saying., you mean that a scoop with a short handle it's great?
What is shock corded?

Its all about time......and the amount of area you can cover. If you are spending a lot of time TRYING to fan a target that you never get.......well thats a time waster. The guys i know that snorkel...... use them to get a foot or two out farther with weight belts on...... NOT swimming around. Up to neck deep a scoop is the fastest way to recover a target..... but it can be combined with a mask/snorkel for shallow targets that can be gotten quickly.

Dew

dewcon4414 . I carry with me in purse my diving glasses, if you need to inspect the bottom - they are always with me :beers:

Nutriasub. depth to the neck - a scoop with a long handle is the best choice (for example Stavr scoop EVROEXCAVATOR-2 v.22 or v.33)

Dewcon4414.- thanks a lot for the input, its greatly appreciated.
Ruslan: thanks a bunch

Thats what I do, belt with weights, snorkel and used to fan with my feet and recover with hand. I just bought a scoop from poland, (Same factory that makes the white´s scoop) quite a great price.

My big doubt now is to try to reweld the handle support to give it a 90 degree angle, or not,
Im going to try just as it is, and work from there.

Thanks again

Absolutely makes a difference! You want one sturdy that won't break and ruin your trip. One that is big enough to scoop the area of the hit. Paying more for something good is well worth it in my opinion. I tried making my own out of a cheap Lowes shovel....that sort of worked but was clumsy and hard to use. I had one of the cheaper scoops made for beach hunting and had to dig and dig! So much time wasted! Finally I got a T-rex. I prefer a long handle because in the surf, I have to stand on the scoop to really get it down there into the sand. THen when you lift, you are picking up 15-20 pounds of sand and water every scoop. Could not do this with a small handle.

Yep, a good scoop is worth the investment. I don't even have to think about it, it's there and always works.

I use a Sunspot and my friend uses Stavr.

I've always been interested in trying fanning, as there are some areas that are target rich and hard to scoop, but I wouldn't want to do that as my primary way of hunting though. I'd say 90% of my finds are faster because of the scoop.
There are nuisance targets that fall through my scoop at times ('22 casings etc.) because I have larger holes but it works textbook for coins and rings, easy to evacuate.
That is the real decision, what size of holes in your scoop. lol

thanks to all the answers!
I have bought a scoop, and now I'm searching for the handle.
I bought it from the factory that makes the White´s scoop here in Europe

i will keep you posted guys and thanks again

well turns out i almost did not use my scoop after all.
I tried the first days, and it was taking me much longer to use the scoop than to fan the sand out...
Some hunts I recovered only one or two targets with it.

anyway I will keep trying and see if its worth it

thanks again for the help

nu