Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Does the unmasking effect from iron mask also take place while say in the coin program.

Kidd

In other words, while in iron mask on the exII, we get circuitry that unmasks good targets from iron nulling. If we switch from iron mask to any other program, will the blacked out discriminated areas we select, also have the same unmasking ability, or do we have to be in iron mask to get that effect? HH Kidd

Kidd,

Iron mask DOES NOT unmask good targets from iron. All it is is a discrimination pattern that you can easily adjust. It does not behave any differently than the blacked out areas on any other pattern selected. You could build a similar pattern in learn and edit that just goes straight up the left side of the screen. It would do the same thing as running with the same area blacked out in iron mask.

The basic premise is that the less discrimination you use the more the explorer can tell you about the target. The explorer's two dimensional smart screen and its tones give you alot of information about what is in the ground. If you discriminate out large areas of the screen you no longer get this information, only a null. That is why many of us more experienced users use IM-16 or a discrimination pattern with very little blacked out.

Chris

Thanks Chris. As a new Explorer owner, one of the first things I've done is read Andy Sabisch's Mastering the Minelab Ex. What has caused my confusion in his book, on page 37, last paragraph. I won't read the whole thing. He just mentions the iron mask as a special circuit that it minimizes or eliminates target masking due to a ferrous object. This is what really confuses me. Its important to know , if hunting in preset coins, and would want iron masking as well. But I am with your way of thinking. That iron mask and discrimination are one in the same. If you get a chance, take a look at what Andy wrote and tell me what you think. Thanks for your input Chris, HH Kidd

Think of the iron mask feature as a control to how much iron that will be filtered out of the audio. When in iron mask mode it can be adjusted from off (-16) to I forget what but say at -6 more iron will be filtered out than -15. Since you are new to Exp start at about -6 and get some experience under your belt. Most long time users use little or no iron mask because they are looking for iffy and deep signals that may be good items. You can use the coin program I believe it is more aggressive than -6 iron mask. The main thing to focus on is the audio as it is more important than the meter or disc. As you gain more experience decrease the disc. settings and rely more on the audio.HH and hope this helps,
Steve(MS)