Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

does weather effect ground

skuzzb

my friend and i have been out to a local park for the last few months and yesterday i dug up a big silver ring in a area that i have covered several times and so has he,does the weather have some sort of effect on the earth or does the earth change?has us confused as to what has happened,the ring was several inches deep so it wasnt dropped recently
thanks
Dave

The soil moisture has an effect. Nice damp soil seems to work the best..thats why we really only have a few PERFECT days per year when you think about it... you should chose some locations where you know there is deep silver, and hit it when its wet. If you are shooting gravel or woodchip totlots, same thing, the wetter the better for the hidden deep targets..I think the perfect weather is 50 degrees, no wind, and damp soil for all day hunting. Good Luck.
Mud

I have noticed in early spring in wet conditions.

I get much more feedback intereference in the Wet/ Damp grounds.

I seem to find more Deep Silver in hunted areas that that are damp..Not wet,that I went to in the summer, and early fall, where the grounds are dry and cracked. This is only if I can run good sensitivity. Sometimes the wet conditions require sens to be turned down for stable operation.

This isn't as noticeable with Single frequency in my area as it is with multi frequency Machines. My Se pro is hard to operate in very Wet/damp grounds.

Some say the winter salt on our streets cause spring problems in hunting. The spray tends to spread over some ground areas near roads. ?????????????

Hi Scuzzb, It most likely does, as many folks agree that the damper soil usually produces more for them. It is most certainly easier to dig those holes in damp soil than after a long drought having dried it into near cement. Some even say "moon phases" and Barometric pressures have some effect. Some folks used to say that on non productive days the "Bank was closed", and that sure seems to be the way it is. Open today, closed tomorrow, so there may very well be some truth to it all, if we can just pick the right days . Not really, since any day you can go scratching is the day to go. HH,Charlie

i believe moisture content does have an effect on signal response....it seems to me 3 days after a rain is much better than 1 day after rain....this can vary depending on what machine you are swinging...it stands to reason that moisture will increase the conductivity of all conductive materials in the ground ...that can be good if you are hunting in mild ,trash free soil or sand...however that can be bad if you are hunting in mineralized soil and or iron infested soil....i notice with the minelab that wet iron often will not null like it will in drier soil....for what its worth i also seem to hit the deepest at the beach right where the wet and dry sand meet --where the sand is consistently damp top to bottom...

This
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/elcruisr/finds/IMG_20120212_071536.jpg
And this
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/elcruisr/finds/IMG_20120212_071602.jpg
And this
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/elcruisr/finds/IMG_20120212_071718.jpg
And all this
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/elcruisr/finds/IMG_20120212_071359.jpg
Came out of one deep hole. We had hunted this spot probably 5 times and my hunting partner dozens of times. This time we hit a good signal and the only difference was a moderate rain the day before leaving the soil damp.

I also talked with an old treasure hunter who used to dump five gallon containers of water on spots they thought might be good back in the 70's. He swore it would bring out targets they missed.

I have no doubt that moisture helps in our normally dry sandy soil.