Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dominican Republic

Why wouldn't it be ? :shrug:

Why wouldn't it be ? . . . Perhaps it is the LAW as with other islands, can you say Jamaica?
Only area you may have a problem with is the dry sand areas of some resorts in the DR and any other resort area, even here in the US.
Resort / hotel owners just don't appreciate detectorists swinging around their guests. Common sense. Be polite, move on if asked and you should have a great time.

WaterWalker said:
..... can you say Jamaica?....

A very revealing post, as-to-the-evolution of all such discussions.

Here's how it works: All that ever-has-to-happen is, that ANY place EVER invents any-such-rule (ie.: any "dire sounding" answers ever came forth via "pressing questions", like Jamaica possibly ) and : The mere presence of any such thing causes the following : Anyone else reading-of-such-things, will do the following knee-jerk reaction: Assume that their location, likewise, might have the same restriction, "unless given a princely blessing to the contrary". Right ? As if they need express allowance.

Why is that ? Since when does anyone need "allowance" to do something ? If something is not DIS-allowed, then presto: Doesn't that mean it's allowed ? But for some reason, Americans have an image of "3rd world prisons", thus ..... upon reading of some strange exception (Jamaica or whatever) , they run hither and yonder , like chickens with their heads cut off, looking for express allowances ?

And then the net result is: Sure as heck, let's all rush to ask bureaucrats, to "clarify the issue", and .... presto, only cementing more "safe answers" to the "pressing question" ? Is anyone else seeing the vicious self-fulfilling loop ??

TOM: I have been to Jamaica times with no problem. But on two trips ago I had ALL my detecting gear DETAINED by customs for my entire stay in Jamaica. This has also happened to one other of my friends also that had been there in the past with no problems. It is well documented that ALL metal detectors are band from entering Jamaica unless you have other reason than a hobby. I.e. on an archeological dig. There are signs in the airport. I know you want everything technically, legally, ethically correct as you know it, but take my word it is not worth the 2 hours hassle to retrieve my DETAINED Metal Detecting Equipment, including detectors, scoop, headphones, and pouch. Sorry, but that is the way it is.

I don't try to start a LOOP...just put out veritably correct information. As a matter of fact some cruise lines also list metal detectors on their BAND items list. It is best to check out all possibilities before you have a vacation dampened by "I did not know that information." FYI each cruise line has a BAND/RESTRICTED listing, take a look.

Check out the center and right top device...You got it a metal detectors a hobby type and a handheld type also!...
WaterWalker

I think I'll believe the guy who's Been There Done That over an armchair lawyer.

Nonetheless, does anyone have any REAL information or experiences that actually relate to the OP's question? Just trying to stay OT here.

I hunted there a couple years ago....didn't find much......couple of very good native hunters that work it every day....slim pickins for tourists. Good luck to ya....it only takes one good target...!

WaterWalker said:
....Check out the center and right top device...You got it a metal detectors a hobby type and a handheld type also!...

This would be an example of where : "Laws are no secret". They can be looked up, and a person could find that law. Sure, if a law truly exists, then by all means, keep it.

As for Jamaica, I have a sneaking suspicion of how that got on the books there. Care to take a guess ?

Question, when you went there and detected, did you just assume it's ok , and do it ?

There has been humorous examples of some md'rs who inquired ahead at various mexican /S. American tourist resort beaches, and find someone to tell them "no". So they left the detector at home. Imagine their surprise when they get to their vacation, and see others md'ing the beach w/o a care in the world.

I've been to the Dominican Republic, the Punta Cana area, with detectors & gear passing customs etc. many times, the latest was March of this year (2019). The beaches are public and open to all. The group of us were cautioned about walking, even on the beach outside of the resort/hotel area due to the lack of protection IF we were confronted by others coming out of the "woods" for whatever reason they may have. We did take heed and stayed in a group and had a great time.
Enjoy the beaches and if you enter the water, be careful of rogue waves and the coral, wear good booties if you get off into the coral. Not all beaches have the coral.

I was there several times, most recently 2 years ago; no problems with customs or at resort.

There were no signs at customs, airport security, or at resort relating to metal detecting.

Given this year's bad press about deaths in Dominican Republic, and associated decrease in travel bookings there, it is extremely unlikely that anyone would do anything to discourage tourists.

sonnar28 said:
... There were no signs at customs, airport security, or at resort relating to metal detecting.....

AAaahhh, but it is your duty to go asking at all-the-highest levels "Can I metal detect ?". After all, some other un-related countries "have a law". So therefore you need to assume that every other place is off-limits, till given a princely blessing to the contrary. Right ? Keep asking till you get a "no". Make us all proud. After all, the fact that nobody cares, and md'rs are a common-site on the beach there, doesn't make it right. Eh ? haha

Obviously this is "tongue in cheek". To make a point that whenever someone comes on, asking about remote odd locations (especially any place that's not "western" in feel/culture), then .... for some reason .... md'rs seem to think that they can't proceed without an express "yes go ahead". Ie.: As if we are always to assume you CAN'T, until someone in authority pats you on the head and says "go ahead". As if md'ing is somehow so evil that ... it needs express allowances. Then sure as heck, people have gone swatting hornet's nests (perhaps the origin of Jamaica's rule ?) and .... presto, it becomes a self-fulfilling loop. It's as if we md'rs can be our own worst enemies, eh ?