Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dongle that we were told would be available by now

jtalley007

To all at White's, thanks for making a fantastic machine. My question is When are we getting the dongle that was eluded to when the Vision came out?

Some of us jumped in there and spent our hard earned money and have shared feedback to the factory and here on line.

We really need this thing to share programs with fellow V3 users that are not our neighbors.

We would appreciate it if the company could please following through on something we were led to believe would be available by now.

Again, thanks for making a fine detector, giving unmatched customer service especially after the sale like no other company I am aware of.

Also, thanks for continuing to tweak the detector and not charging us to update. We love the detector and just would like to share programs easily with our V3 forum friends,

Jerry Talley

And the history is already there for any proof you may need. All of the White's detectors that have been sold over the years never had any major changes to the current produced models. I really don't see this changing even with the V3. Software changes are minor modifications and can be accomodated as has been proven with the V3 today. But any major design changes (i.e. USB ports) would require some serious money to be spent on a detector that is already in a production mode. Unless there is a major design flaw that would drive a recall for a fix, I just do not see White's changing or adding a hardware item on the V3 ever.

Probably just gonna have to wait for the next generation of White's detector and hope it gets into that one.

Butch in Colorado said:
... any major design changes (i.e. USB ports) would require some serious money to be spent on a detector that is already in a production mode.

You wouldn't need to add a USB port to the V3, if you had a USB dongle that could also talk wirelessly to the V3. I have no idea how hard that would be, either, though.

n/t

That's my point, though -- the V3 can already share programs wirelessly to other V3's. All you'd need is something that can transmit and receive V3 programs and also plug into a usb port.

Think of it like a tape recorder -- your stereo normally wants to talk to speakers, but you can also plug it into a tape recorder, so the stereo talks to the recorder, and the recorder can then talk to the speakers. I'm suggesting the same concept -- the V3 talks wirelessly to the dongle as if it were another V3, then the dongle talks to the computer, or can also talk back wirelessly to another V3.

If Whites took this approach, it wouldn't require any change to the V3 at all -- the capability is already there. It would require more intelligence and wireless capability in the USB dongle, but that's a standalone piece of hardware and can be designed independently. No need for new hardware or firmware or anything on the V3.

At the end of the day whites have made a metal detector (that's what they are good at) and the machine also has wireless capability to talk to other whites V3 machines, its not really down to whites to make a dongle, this will probably be made as an accessory by a third party much like the Sun-Ray Probe.

Like I said, Whites have already done there bit by giving the machine wireless technology and who knows what accessories will start to appear and take advantage of it.

It will get here, I just won't be buying. Rob

They were working on it but were pulled to work on other things. Oh yeah, It was "mentioned" - not promised nor guaranteed.

andreak77 said:
They were working on it but were pulled to work on other things. .

??? Other things ??? ;-) Oh Boy

Jerry

Actually with wireless it doe not seem like a dongle is needed. It would be great if data could be uploaded/downloaded via a PC. Then email could be used to share programs between users.

Clarence

cp said:
It would be great if data could be uploaded/downloaded via a PC. Then email could be used to share programs between users.

Clarence

Clarence, you have hit the nail on the head. As far as we were led to believe, the usb dongle was for this purpose and this way we could save our programs to a pc and like you say e-mail them on. Ok I can here people saying " well not all of us have the same ground conditions" and this I agree with. I recently got my V3 back from Whites after a software upgrade, and because I have a lot of global changes based on the common program, I found I had to totally re input all my programs !!! If I had a usb dongle the facility dare I mention like the E-Trac has, then I would have been able to re input via my pc.

So if Whites do bring it out, I would get one just for this purpose alone

Only my opinion.....

Dave